DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Central Heating Controller (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/80022-central-heating-controller.html)

Carl November 30th 04 05:47 PM

Central Heating Controller

Hi all, I am deperate for some help - my controller for my CH and HW
was damaged during some building works. I have bought an identical
controller and fitted exactly as it was but it will only turn on the
boiler for HW.

If I bypass the controller and connect the HW wire and CH wire to the
live - I have both HW and CH fine. But if I connect just the CH to
the live I get nothing??

Any help - I am stuck here!!!

Thanks in advance!

mike ring November 30th 04 07:33 PM

(Carl) wrote in
om:

Hi all, I am deperate for some help - my controller for my CH and HW
was damaged during some building works. I have bought an identical
controller and fitted exactly as it was but it will only turn on the
boiler for HW.

If I bypass the controller and connect the HW wire and CH wire to the
live - I have both HW and CH fine. But if I connect just the CH to
the live I get nothing??

Any help - I am stuck here!!!

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a problem with the 3 port valve, if that's what you've got.

When the HW cylinder stat calls for heat, the boiler and pump are
started, as the 3port valve defaults to leave the HW circuit open but
when the room stat calls for heat, the boiler and pump are not started
until the valve has actually diverted to open the CH circuit to the
rads. It's done by the microswitch that is operated at the end of the
valve's travel.

This stops the boiler and pump trying to work into a closed circuit if
the valve breaks.

You may also, if it's accessible, be able to change just the valve's
electric motor; me, I'd buy a new actuator.

You may be able to remove the electric bit from the valve, check that
the valve itself is not seized solid, and replace the motor section,
without disturbing anything wet.

If it's an old valve, (like mine was ;-( ) you'll have to replace the
whole thing - the good news is that they're pretty well interchangeable.

HTH

mike

ARWadsworth November 30th 04 07:54 PM

"mike ring" wrote in message
52.50...
(Carl) wrote in
om:

Hi all, I am deperate for some help - my controller for my CH and HW
was damaged during some building works. I have bought an identical
controller and fitted exactly as it was but it will only turn on the
boiler for HW.

If I bypass the controller and connect the HW wire and CH wire to the
live - I have both HW and CH fine. But if I connect just the CH to
the live I get nothing??

Any help - I am stuck here!!!

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a problem with the 3 port valve, if that's what you've got.

It could be. It could also be a gravity fed HW system with the new
programmer set to fully pumped not gravity settings.

Adam

Malc November 30th 04 09:00 PM

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
.uk...

"mike ring" wrote in message
52.50...
(Carl) wrote in
om:

Hi all, I am deperate for some help - my controller for my CH and HW
was damaged during some building works. I have bought an identical
controller and fitted exactly as it was but it will only turn on the
boiler for HW.

If I bypass the controller and connect the HW wire and CH wire to the
live - I have both HW and CH fine. But if I connect just the CH to
the live I get nothing??

Any help - I am stuck here!!!

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a problem with the 3 port valve, if that's what you've got.

It could be. It could also be a gravity fed HW system with the new
programmer set to fully pumped not gravity settings.

That would be my first port of call. I haven't looked at new controllers for
20 years now but my old and still reliable (which must be a first as most of
the others weren't) Potterton EP3000 has a switch or moveable cam to be more
accurate to switch between the two systems.

--
Malc

Carl November 30th 04 09:57 PM

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message o.uk...
"mike ring" wrote in message
52.50...
(Carl) wrote in
om:

Hi all, I am deperate for some help - my controller for my CH and HW
was damaged during some building works. I have bought an identical
controller and fitted exactly as it was but it will only turn on the
boiler for HW.

If I bypass the controller and connect the HW wire and CH wire to the
live - I have both HW and CH fine. But if I connect just the CH to
the live I get nothing??

Any help - I am stuck here!!!

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a problem with the 3 port valve, if that's what you've got.

It could be. It could also be a gravity fed HW system with the new
programmer set to fully pumped not gravity settings.

Adam

The system is a pumped system (well I assume so, as the old
timer/controller was set to pumped and worked fine) One thing I
forgot to mention - when I originally connected the old controller
back on. I accidentally put two of the live feeds together with the CH
wire, this caused the breaker to trip - but could this of caused
damage further up (in the boiler somewhere??) If so- why would the CH
work (albeit only with the HW)???

If it is my 3 port valve (how do I know if I have one)?? How do I
locate it??
etc etc.

Any help appreciated!

Carl

raden November 30th 04 11:24 PM

In message , Carl
writes
Hi all, I am deperate for some help - my controller for my CH and HW
was damaged during some building works. I have bought an identical
controller and fitted exactly as it was but it will only turn on the
boiler for HW.

If I bypass the controller and connect the HW wire and CH wire to the
live - I have both HW and CH fine. But if I connect just the CH to
the live I get nothing??

Was one set to gravity and the other to pumped ?

If you'd mentioned the controller make and model, it might have been
possible to give some better advice

--
geoff

Carl December 1st 04 12:50 PM

raden wrote in message ...
In message , Carl
writes
Hi all, I am deperate for some help - my controller for my CH and HW
was damaged during some building works. I have bought an identical
controller and fitted exactly as it was but it will only turn on the
boiler for HW.

If I bypass the controller and connect the HW wire and CH wire to the
live - I have both HW and CH fine. But if I connect just the CH to
the live I get nothing??

Was one set to gravity and the other to pumped ?

If you'd mentioned the controller make and model, it might have been
possible to give some better advice

Its a hortsmann/newlec h51 channel if this helps

mike ring December 1st 04 07:52 PM

(Carl) wrote in
om:

If it is my 3 port valve (how do I know if I have one)?? How do I
locate it??
etc etc.

Any help appreciated!

Carl

It's between the boiler and the HW cylinder, a T shaped fitting, (3
pipes, 3 ports, geddit)

One pie from the boiler, one to the side of the cylinder, and one goes
off to the rads.......

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLMP3.html for a picture.

Your accident is not likely to have caused damage, except maybe to the 3
prt valve, which we suspect anyhow, as the pump and boiler still
function.

The central heating will work, in one scenario, because the cylinder is
calling for heat, and that fires the boiler and pump regardless, and
takes the CH with it if the room stat is operating, but if *only* the
room stat is calling for heat, the boiler is called indirectly via a
microswitch on the 3 port valve, and this is where the failure is.

Some wiring diagrams here; http://www.gasman.fsbusiness.co.uk/wiring.htm

Check out Y plan in particular

It's important that you find out if your system is fully pumped, or
gravity HW, for the assembled team of experts ;-) to help.

mike

Carl December 1st 04 08:38 PM

(Carl) wrote in message . com...
raden wrote in message ...
In message , Carl
writes
Hi all, I am deperate for some help - my controller for my CH and HW
was damaged during some building works. I have bought an identical
controller and fitted exactly as it was but it will only turn on the
boiler for HW.

If I bypass the controller and connect the HW wire and CH wire to the
live - I have both HW and CH fine. But if I connect just the CH to
the live I get nothing??

Was one set to gravity and the other to pumped ?

If you'd mentioned the controller make and model, it might have been
possible to give some better advice

Its a hortsmann/newlec h51 channel if this helps - actually it is a channel plus XL h21 not 51 as originally stated.

My point is that if there was a problem in the boiler - surely it
wouldn't work at all (see above)?

Carl December 2nd 04 05:11 PM

wrote in message roups.com...
mike ring wrote:
(Carl) wrote in
om:

[...]

It is fully pumped system. I have had a look at the 3 port valve and
the manual open switch is just very loose and after taking the cover
off, it does not do anything if you move the switch. There is also a
paddle position indicator A, B or in the middle (A is cylinder B is
Rads) the paddle remains in the middle position.

Can I repair or do anything to the 3port valve? (by the way it is a
Landis and Staefa MAV-322)

Any help appreciated.

Carl

mike ring December 2nd 04 08:12 PM

(Carl) wrote in
om:

It is fully pumped system. I have had a look at the 3 port valve and
the manual open switch is just very loose and after taking the cover
off, it does not do anything if you move the switch. There is also a
paddle position indicator A, B or in the middle (A is cylinder B is
Rads) the paddle remains in the middle position.

Can I repair or do anything to the 3port valve? (by the way it is a
Landis and Staefa MAV-322)

Any help appreciated.

Carl

I don't know the valve, come to that I only know about 2 types.

You may be able to remove the whole actuator, complete with cables, with
a couple of screws, and leave the brass in situ.

If you can do this, operate the valve with pliers to make sure it works.

If so, you may be able to replace the elecrical part (if it's still
current!). Check with a plumbers merchant. I don't know how you would
test the motor, but you can get one for about a tenner if you're up to
replacing it.

If you can't get a new actuator, or you can't separate the actuator from
the valve, you will need a new valve, which these days comes in 2 parts,
the brass bit and the electric bit.

You will need to drain down the system, at least partially, replace the
valve (fortunately they're pretyy interchangeable).

It's not that tough, I had exactly the same prob last year, got the
diagnosis from this group, and replaced the valve in a short morning.

mike

Carl December 3rd 04 11:09 AM

(Carl) wrote in message . com...
wrote in message roups.com...

[...]