IMM

Default Albion Mainsflow Thermal Store

"Roger Wareham" wrote in message

I replaced our HW cylinder with the simple directly-heated version about
three months ago.

The only disadvantage I have found in the direct version is that it more
or less doubles the total capacity of the CH system. I've had the
overflow running on one occasion, but I think that was because I didn't
drain enough water out before adding the Fernox. Drained out a bit
more and it hasn't run since.

Important!
Make sure you have enough Fernox in the system.

Does it supply two showers? How does it perform? Are the shower
temperatures both controllable? What size is the cold water mains pipe?

---

Roger Wareham

IMM wrote:
"Roger Wareham" wrote in message

I replaced our HW cylinder with the simple directly-heated version about
three months ago.

The only disadvantage I have found in the direct version is that it more
or less doubles the total capacity of the CH system. I've had the
overflow running on one occasion, but I think that was because I didn't
drain enough water out before adding the Fernox. Drained out a bit
more and it hasn't run since.

Important!
Make sure you have enough Fernox in the system.

Thought of a number and doubled it :-) - and then only drained a couple
of litres to stop the overflow. The boiler is now on all the time, so
the volume in the boiler circuit should stay fairly constant.

Does it supply two showers? How does it perform? Are the shower
temperatures both controllable? What size is the cold water mains pipe?

No problems with two showers (but none of us can stand to have the
shower tap more than half on!). The showers have French thermostatic
controls (horizontal bar with a tap at one end and temperature control
at the other) which do a better job of keeping the temperature stable
than the previous Mira control.

The cold water mains pipe is almost all 15 mm. I expected this to be
problem but it doesn't seem to be. The drop in pressure from the
washbasin tap is apparent, but not serious, when the bath tap is turned
fully on. Which reminds me - all our taps are mixers with aerators on
the outlet. Without the aerator, the water splashes everywhere!

To be honest, I was prepared to put up with a few pressure problems as
anything would have been better than the trickle we used to get with
just a couple of metres head of water feeding the shower, but the
results have been much better than expected. Our water system is now as
good as our friends' mains pressure cylinder system.

Roger.