Sam Darby

Default Badly supported joist

Whilst fitting the waste to our new bath, I noticed that one of the
joists of the bathroom floor is not supported properly at one end -
the brick it should be sitting on has fallen back into the cavity and
is supporting the joist only with its front edge. Difficult to
describe so I've taken a photo (12KB):

http://www.darboss.com/images/joist.jpg

Just for background, the bathroom is located above our garage, so
access to the underside of the bathroom floor is easy. The joists span
the width of the garage.

Question is, since this joist is directly under where we are
positioning the new bath, and its a big corner bath, so potentially
quite heavy, should I repair this?

If I need to repair it, what would be the best way? I've already had
two suggestions:

1. Support the joist, and refit brick.

2. Don't move anything and add mortar to support the out of place
brick.

I can't really understand why the brick is like that in the first
place (it is right next to the soil stack, which sits in the cavity
and breaks the inside garage wall), and why there appears to be no
evidence of mortar ever being used on it.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Sam.
Alex

"Sam Darby" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I'd feel safer knowing there was a full brick under there, not just mortar.
Proping up the joist needn't be difficult, it is held up by the floorboards
to an extent anyway. Have you got a bit of wood you could knock up
underneath the joist to give temporary support? No need to hire any props or
anything.

Alex

neil leslie

Default Edinburgh all trades firm

I'm getting a quote from Maintain all trades for some work I'm
considering. Has anyone had experience of this company?

Michael Mcneil

"Alex" wrote in message
newsYSec.756$Rf.5@newsfe1-win

I'd feel safer knowing there was a full brick under there, not just mortar.
Proping up the joist needn't be difficult, it is held up by the floorboards
to an extent anyway. Have you got a bit of wood you could knock up
underneath the joist to give temporary support? No need to hire any props or
anything.

Knock a 3 x 2 prop under it far enough from the wall to let you get to
it. Then break the brick out and replace with another or something like
bedded in cement to stop it shaking loose again. You might have to build
it up with tile or slate. When the cement has set, remove the prop.

N. Thornton

"Alex" wrote in message news:pYSec.756$Rf.5@newsfe1-win...
"Sam Darby" wrote in message
om...

Whilst fitting the waste to our new bath, I noticed that one of the
joists of the bathroom floor is not supported properly at one end -
the brick it should be sitting on has fallen back into the cavity and
is supporting the joist only with its front edge. Difficult to
describe so I've taken a photo (12KB):

http://www.darboss.com/images/joist.jpg

Question is, since this joist is directly under where we are
positioning the new bath, and its a big corner bath, so potentially
quite heavy, should I repair this?

I would myself, that brick doesnt look too secure. Plus all the forces
on it are concentrated onto small corners, which wont help things
survive loading.

If I need to repair it, what would be the best way? I've already had
two suggestions:

1. Support the joist, and refit brick.

2. Don't move anything and add mortar to support the out of place
brick.

I'd feel safer knowing there was a full brick under there, not just mortar.
Proping up the joist needn't be difficult, it is held up by the floorboards
to an extent anyway. Have you got a bit of wood you could knock up
underneath the joist to give temporary support? No need to hire any props or
anything.

Thats what I'd do too. Blob of mortar option is a bodge, sooner or
later the mortar would fail and fall out again.

A length of wood just a shade longer than floor to ceiling can be put
there and banged in a bit to take the strain. Might crack the ceiling
though.

Regards, NT

more surprises - rotten joist and no lintel! Niel A. Farrow UK diy 3 August 15th 03 08:36 PM
Replacing damaged joists DjB UK diy 14 July 16th 03 12:42 PM
Joist Concern! citizensband UK diy 3 July 15th 03 08:12 PM