Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Brad Awl

Default Front doors...hardwood vs. plastic (upvc)

Hi Folks,
I want to install a second front door in my house, and need to make a
choice between a hansome-looking hardwood door and a white UPVC one
costing three times as much. Can anyone list a few pros and cons of
each?

The main thing I'd like to know is: is the heat loss through a heavy
hardwood door significanly more than through a UPVC one? In other
words is it really worth paying an extra £200 for the UPVC door? How
long would it take to recoup the £200 on saved heating expenditure?

I vastly prefer the look of the hardwood item (it looks in keeping
with the age and style of the property) and I guess I can install it
myself, having hinstalled a door or two in the past. I understand that
building regs now require that UPVC items have to be installed by
qualified installers these days (?)

Cheers,
Brad