Michael Chare

Default Constructing 5m tower to hold satellite dish

I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.

One option is to build the tower using scaffolding, but does anyone have a
better idea? I have though of the top of an old electricity pylon but they
are not easy to find!

Michael Chare.

Dave Stanton

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:45:09 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.

One option is to build the tower using scaffolding, but does anyone have a
better idea? I have though of the top of an old electricity pylon but they
are not easy to find!

Michael Chare.

Find a farmer with an old wind pump and offer to dismantle and take away.
The wind pump towers around Worcs have a gantry at the top as well.

HTH

Dave

Ben

Michael Chare wrote:
I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.

One option is to build the tower using scaffolding, but does anyone have a
better idea? I have though of the top of an old electricity pylon but they
are not easy to find!

Michael Chare.

Much more expensive, but the Versatower is apparently popular with radio
hams (although I've never met one yet that didn't make their own cheaper
alternative). Its telescopic and tilting, so you can fiddle with your
dish at ground level.

Quick google reveals
http://www.titanex.de/frames/versatower.html
http://www.vinecom.co.uk/versatower.html
:::Jerry::::

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.
snip

One has to ask why ?...

Also, would you not need planning consent, 5 meters is quite tall after all.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Michael Chare writes:
I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.

Do you really think 5m nearer the satellite is going to make
much difference? ;-)

I would imagine you'll need planning permission for starters.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Richard Sterry

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.

One option is to build the tower using scaffolding, but does anyone have a
better idea? I have though of the top of an old electricity pylon but they
are not easy to find!

First of all, you will need to apply for planning permission.

What you need is a section of aluminium alloy or galvanised steel lattice
tower. You can buy them new, but can also be found second-hand as surplus
lighting towers, CCTV towers, that sort of thing - often extremely cheaply,
especially if they are slightly damaged. Radio amateurs generally prefer
more expensive multi-section telescopic versions, where damage can be a real
issue, but in the case of a single section it's not so important as it
doesn't have to fit over or inside another section. For such a short length
(5m), you could just set it (or anchor-bolt it) directly in concrete and not
bother about having it tiltable, which all adds to the cost as you need a
proper base and a winch. Being of lattice construction, it is easy to climb,
unless you're a big scaredy-cat like me!

If you do source a steel one, do be aware that it will be pretty heavy and
will need a very robust estate-car roof rack to carry it. I have carried 2 x
20ft sections (middle and top sections of a telescopic tower) together on
such a rack, but I was really overloading it and I must have been mad! A
single 5m section should be ok, but maybe a bit much for a saloon or
hatchback with roof bars.

Might be worth giving Anchor Surplus a ring to see if they've got
anything...

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/

HTH

Rick

Michael Chare

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.
snip

One has to ask why ?...

So that the dish can 'see' over the trees which surround my property.

Also, would you not need planning consent, 5 meters is quite tall after all.

Quite possibly. One advantage of the scaffoldling approach is that I could argue
that the structure is temporary, and if I could not get retrospective approval I
could if necessary sell the scaffolding. I live in an area where there is no
adequate terrestrial digital tv signal.

Michael Chare

logized

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.
snip

One has to ask why ?...

Also, would you not need planning consent, 5 meters is quite tall after
all.

Yes, The dish diameter is too large also - 90cm is the maximum allowed
without planning permission.

Dave

Peter Crosland

Also, would you not need planning consent, 5 meters is quite tall after
all.

Quite possibly. One advantage of the scaffoldling approach is that I could
argue
that the structure is temporary, and if I could not get retrospective
approval I
could if necessary sell the scaffolding.

A common misunderstanding is that just because a structure is "temporary"
that there is some relaxation in the rules regarding planning approval.
After 28 days (Occasionally 14) you still need full planning approval. If it
is not visible from outside you boundary and nobody complains then you may
get away with it.

wrote:

I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.

One option is to build the tower using scaffolding, but does anyone have a
better idea? I have though of the top of an old electricity pylon but they
are not easy to find!

Michael Chare.

I'm sure you know what you want and will get fed up of people telling
you 'you don't want to do that you want to do this', but 5m isn't very
high. I have a 1.2m dish on the side of my house just below the gutter
and that puts it at around 5m, and it could go higher. I've seen 1m
dishes attached to chimneys.

If you wanted to go the 5m tower route, then how about a single length
of scaffolding rooted in a concrete block? And if it sways around then
3 or 4 cables to steady it. Or a scaffolding pole strapped to the side
of the house extending above the gutter line as required?

MJ

Tony

Is there any reason for having a 5M tower? You don't normally have to mount
a dish so high up. As long as you have line of sight to the satellite you
can mount it on the ground in the garden? Also, if its low down in the
garden you might be able to get away with a bigger dish.

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.

One option is to build the tower using scaffolding, but does anyone have a
better idea? I have though of the top of an old electricity pylon but they
are not easy to find!

Michael Chare.

Cicero

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.

One option is to build the tower using scaffolding, but does anyone have a
better idea? I have though of the top of an old electricity pylon but they
are not easy to find!

Michael Chare.

==============
A telegraph pole would probably do the job. They've worked successfully for
nearly a century for telephone cables and probably won't sway about very
much if well anchored in the ground.

Cic.

Peter Stockdale

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.

Have you thought of an ex leccy or phone pole - fairly cheap in many
reclamation yards.
Bit more aesthetic than towers.

Pete

:::Jerry::::

wrote:

[...]

Totally clueless !...

:::Jerry::::

"Cicero" wrote in message
.uk...

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.

One option is to build the tower using scaffolding, but does anyone have

better idea? I have though of the top of an old electricity pylon but

they
are not easy to find!

A telegraph pole would probably do the job. They've worked successfully

for
nearly a century for telephone cables and probably won't sway about very
much if well anchored in the ground.

But most don't have a 1 meter 'sail' mounted on them !

Also, most SH poles have been removed due to not being fit for the purpose
they were there to do, have you any idea the damage a falling pole will do
or the cost of a new pole ?...

Frank Erskine

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:01:33 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Stockdale"
wrote:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.

Have you thought of an ex leccy or phone pole - fairly cheap in many
reclamation yards.
Bit more aesthetic than towers.

Or even a street lamppost. Around here the LA are replacing every lamp
in the city (well, a contractor is doing the work), and numerous
perfectly serviceable posts are no doubt being scrapped.
For rigidity you'd probably do better with a fairly stout post, such
as those found on main roads.

--
Frank Erskine
Lee

Michael Chare wrote:

So that the dish can 'see' over the trees which surround my property.

I assume you have done the maths and worked out the height/distance
based on where the dish is actually focused rather than where it *looks*
like it's focused?

Must be very tall trees or a fairly short distance to them if gutter
height on a *short* pole is insufficient to clear them.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Cicero

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Cicero" wrote in message
.uk...

[...]

====================
Having recently cut down two 25 foot trees in my back garden using only axe
and handsaw I think that I have quite a good idea of how large tree trunks
behave.

The telegraph pole outside my house is about 28 feet tall which is nearly
double the size required by the OP and it's about 9" diameter for most of
its length. That size of post, provided that it is well anchored is
unlikely to be seriously affected by a puny 1 metre dish since its original
foliage would have been far greater.

Consider also that sailing ships used masts of far greater height (up to 80
feet or more) without being unduly prone to wind damage. A reclaimed pole of
the height required by the OP would probably be very satisfactory in all but
the most extreme wind conditions and any other structure (suitable for a
domestic environment) would be no more secure in such conditions.

As far as cost is concerned, the OP made no mention of it and so presumably
is able to afford what he needs.

What was your suggestion - if any?

Cic.

Bob Eager

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:36:01 UTC, "Cicero"
wrote:

Also, most SH poles have been removed due to not being fit for the purpose
they were there to do, have you any idea the damage a falling pole will do
or the cost of a new pole ?...

Consider also that sailing ships used masts of far greater height (up to 80
feet or more) without being unduly prone to wind damage. A reclaimed pole of
the height required by the OP would probably be very satisfactory in all but
the most extreme wind conditions and any other structure (suitable for a
domestic environment) would be no more secure in such conditions.

And some poles have been replaced simply because they were not tall
enough. BT moved to a higher 'standard heaight' a while ago after a
fatality due to cales being caught by a vehicle.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

:::Jerry::::

"Cicero" wrote in message
. uk...

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Cicero" wrote in message
.uk...

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
[...]

Nor are they the diameter of a telegraph pole either, or just 'planted'.
Clue, either the ship moves forwards, backwards or rolls...

A reclaimed pole of
the height required by the OP would probably be very satisfactory in all

but
the most extreme wind conditions

Which is what has to be calculated for, it's not unknown for servier gale
force winds to lash almost any part of the UK you know....

and any other structure (suitable for a
domestic environment) would be no more secure in such conditions.

Total bi**ocks, it's go nothing to do with a 'domestic environment', if he
really needs a mast then he needs to use the correct structure.

As far as cost is concerned, the OP made no mention of it and so

presumably
is able to afford what he needs.

If cost wasn't an issue I doubt he would be asking here...

What was your suggestion - if any?

Apart from the fact that it is a 99 percent certainty that he doesn't even
need the mast you mean ?

Cicero

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Cicero" wrote in message
. uk...

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Cicero" wrote in message
.uk...

[...]

============
Rubbish! He's building a structure in his back garden and no reasonable
person would build a grossly unsightly skyscraper with a hundred year life
expectancy when he can build something more aesthetically pleasing with a
shorter life span.

----------

As far as cost is concerned, the OP made no mention of it and so

presumably
is able to afford what he needs.

If cost wasn't an issue I doubt he would be asking here...

============
Pure guesswork - straight from your imagination. People enjoy DIY - and they
ask for information here to do the best job they can.

Again - What was your suggestion - if any?
-------------------

Apart from the fact that it is a 99 percent certainty that he doesn't even
need the mast you mean ?

==========
He didn't say that he 'needs' to build a mast. He said he 'wants' to build
it.

Any *helpful* suggestions from you?

Cic.

:::Jerry::::

"Cicero" wrote in message
. uk...
":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
"Cicero" wrote in message
. uk...

snip

and any other structure (suitable for a
domestic environment) would be no more secure in such conditions.

==============

Total bi**ocks, it's go nothing to do with a 'domestic environment', if

he
really needs a mast then he needs to use the correct structure.

============
Rubbish! He's building a structure in his back garden and no reasonable
person would build a grossly unsightly skyscraper with a hundred year life
expectancy when he can build something more aesthetically pleasing with a
shorter life span.

It's got nothing to do with the life span of any structure (and no one has
mentioned that aspect until now) [1], it has everything to do with any mast
being able to do what it asked of it safely.

[1] life span is solely an economics issue.

snip the rest of 'Cicero' rant:

logized

wrote:

[...]

The main problem I see with using any wooden pole is that it would allow the
dish to sway in the wind (like trees). The OP wants to use a 1m dish and at
that size would have to be aligned much more accurately than a Sky minidish
and would easily loose the signal if it moved even a degree. - the
supporting structure has to be rigid.
I don't know how the OP decided on the need for a 5m high mast anyway? - the
trees must be either very tall or close.
It is possible to calculate the height needed by the formula on this site -
if the desired elevation angle is known
http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/informati...evationexp.asp

Dave

Dave Stanton

If someone came bashing on my door asking to dismantle my wind pump that
took me two years to build, I don't think that would like the answer.

Most of the ones around here are missing the sails,so are not working !!.

HTH

Dave

Not much!

???????

tony sayer

In article , Michael
Chare writes
I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.

One option is to build the tower using scaffolding, but does anyone have a
better idea? I have though of the top of an old electricity pylon but they
are not easy to find!

Michael Chare.

I presume that you need the satellite to "see" over some obstruction?. A
section of lattice aerial mast will do very well for that, but to keep
it stable you'll need a cubic metre or two of concrete.

BTW have you asked the planners what they think of the idea as yet?....
--
Tony Sayer

Cicero

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Cicero" wrote in message
. uk...
":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
"Cicero" wrote in message
. uk...

snip

[...]

=================
Of course it has to do with lifespan. Anybody building any kind of structure
considers the kind of structure against its probable lifespan. Since the OP
initially considered using scaffolding poles he is clearly not looking for
something very permanent.

snip the rest of 'Cicero' rant:

You call my reply a 'rant'.

You're sadly confused. I took the trouble to reply to the OP's post with a
sensible suggestion and I did so courteously. You have still made no
suggestion of a solution to the OP's post but you have made disparaging and
abusive remarks about contributions made by other people who took the
trouble to offer helpful suggestions.

Since you clearly have nothing helpful to add to the discussion you might at
least have the basic good manners to refrain from gratuitous abuse.
Unfortunately people like you spoil NGs by your pointless sniping in the
mistaken belief that you are superior. You're not superior, you're just a
grossly ill-mannered brat.

Cic.

:::Jerry::::

"Cicero" wrote in message
.uk...

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Cicero" wrote in message
. uk...
":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
"Cicero" wrote in message
. uk...

snip

[...]

But this is a DIY project, or are you backtracking on that remark now?...

The *first* consideration with this sort of structure is safety - anyone who
can't see that or argues about it if both a fool and a moron. Ability to do
what is being asked comes next and then cost, without the first two (safety
/ usability) the third is totally irrelevant.

Since the OP
initially considered using scaffolding poles he is clearly not looking for
something very permanent.

Who knows...

snip the rest of 'Cicero' rant:

You call my reply a 'rant'.

You're sadly confused.

No I'm not, perhaps you haven't bothered to read some of the other replies,
saying much the same as I have !

I took the trouble to reply to the OP's post with a
sensible suggestion and I did so courteously. You have still made no
suggestion of a solution to the OP's post but you have made disparaging

and
abusive remarks about contributions made by other people who took the
trouble to offer helpful suggestions.

Because asking in this group is the wrong place, if the OP *needs* such a
mast then he needs to ask people with experience of such structures (not
forgetting his local ground / weather conditions), not 'keen know all's'
like yourself.

Since you clearly have nothing helpful to add to the discussion you might

at
least have the basic good manners to refrain from gratuitous abuse.

I have not been abusive with the OP, only with people like you who seem to
know less than I do but consider themselves superior know all's...

Unfortunately people like you spoil NGs by your pointless sniping in the
mistaken belief that you are superior.

Pot, kettle, black. And you expertise in transmitter / receiver masts is
what exactly ?...

You're not superior, you're just a
grossly ill-mannered brat.

Well, I would prefer to be that than a clueless w*inker like your good-self.

Oh, and whilst your finding a clue or two, learn how to post.

:::Jerry::::

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Cicero" wrote in message
.uk...

snip

Since the OP
initially considered using scaffolding poles he is clearly not looking

for
something very permanent.

Who knows...

Just to add, Cicero obviously hasn't been to many horse race courses, or he
has never noticed all those 'permanent' towers made out of scaffolding that
are used for broadcast / TOT (?) television cameras.

Dave Stanton

On S
Most of the ones around here are missing the sails,so are not working
!!.

So were mine in 1975 and again in 1987 ;-(

Take your point, but quite a few around here have been like this for years.
I often thought of using one for my amateur radio aerials.

Dave

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:25:00 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.

One option is to build the tower using scaffolding, but does anyone have

better idea? I have though of the top of an old electricity pylon but

they
are not easy to find!

Michael Chare.

If you wanted to go the 5m tower route, then how about a single length
of scaffolding rooted in a concrete block? And if it sways around then
3 or 4 cables to steady it.

Totally clueless !...

Not so much as you. I've been looking at exactly this from my bedroom
window in a nearby garden for the past 12 years.

MJ
:::Jerry::::

wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:25:00 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.

One option is to build the tower using scaffolding, but does anyone

have
better idea? I have though of the top of an old electricity pylon but

they
are not easy to find!

Michael Chare.

If you wanted to go the 5m tower route, then how about a single length
of scaffolding rooted in a concrete block? And if it sways around then
3 or 4 cables to steady it.

Totally clueless !...

Not so much as you. I've been looking at exactly this from my bedroom
window in a nearby garden for the past 12 years.

Yah right, and pigs fly over it too.

Badger

Michael Chare wrote:

I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.

One option is to build the tower using scaffolding, but does anyone have a
better idea? I have though of the top of an old electricity pylon but they
are not easy to find!

Michael Chare.

Ask a local scout group to lash you up a temp. tower from pioneering
poles and see if it works, if it doesn't you've lost nothing.
http://www.gb0bws.freeserve.co.uk/photos.htm for an idea.

Niel, also a Scouter and a ham...

tony sayer

In article , :::Jerry::::
writes

wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:25:00 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.

One option is to build the tower using scaffolding, but does anyone

have
better idea? I have though of the top of an old electricity pylon but
they
are not easy to find!

Michael Chare.

If you wanted to go the 5m tower route, then how about a single length
of scaffolding rooted in a concrete block? And if it sways around then
3 or 4 cables to steady it.

Totally clueless !...

Not so much as you. I've been looking at exactly this from my bedroom
window in a nearby garden for the past 12 years.

Yah right, and pigs fly over it too.

Perhaps the O/P should nip up to Peterbourgh and see if these any scrap
left that he could make a serviceable tower out of.

Lets hope a flying piggy doesn't hit that one too.....
--
Tony Sayer

Paul

I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.

One option is to build the tower using scaffolding, but does anyone have a
better idea? I have though of the top of an old electricity pylon but they
are not easy to find!

I work for a company that installs weather stations, we have a number of
slightly damaged towers that may be of interest to you.

Please contact me if you are interested.

Regards,

Paul.

Chris Hodges

Frank Erskine wrote:

Or even a street lamppost. Around here the LA are replacing every lamp
in the city (well, a contractor is doing the work), and numerous
perfectly serviceable posts are no doubt being scrapped.
For rigidity you'd probably do better with a fairly stout post, such
as those found on main roads.

You're not in south glos are you? Do you know why they're doing it?

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk
Frank Erskine

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:37:40 GMT, Chris Hodges
wrote:

Frank Erskine wrote:

Or even a street lamppost. Around here the LA are replacing every lamp
in the city (well, a contractor is doing the work), and numerous
perfectly serviceable posts are no doubt being scrapped.
For rigidity you'd probably do better with a fairly stout post, such
as those found on main roads.

You're not in south glos are you? Do you know why they're doing it?

No - the North East!

The given reason for replacing them is that a large number of them are
made from concrete, and a few accidents have been caused by broken
posts. Since the design of the head has also been changed (to a
"downlighter" from a truncated cone), it was decided to replace the
lot.
Actually the LA has formed a partnership with Balfour Beatty and
formed a new company, who do all the streetlighting maintenance as
well as this replacement job.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
dms1.go-plus.net

I hate to be the spolier of bad news but there is more out there than SKY!
About 2,000 channels to be presice and I HAVE a 1.2 meter dish in my garden
and I might just BE the one who the other guy says he can see from his
garden!

However putting the dish up by 5 meters is NO GOOD you wont get ALL the
satellites in the arc because of the fall and tilt at the end (basically)

THANK GOD or whoever that there is someone out there like me who CAN cut the
drivel and snipped news and watch what really happens out there!

John www.a2znorthants.co.uk

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , :::Jerry::::
writes

wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:25:00 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

.. .