completely made up

Default Where to buy wall mounted hifi connectors?

As the title suggests I'm, looking for wall mounted plates that fit a normal
single electrical back box.

I'm after concealing speaker cables under the floor for my surround system
but want a bit of flexibility so I can unplug without messy cables laying
about everywhere.

I'm after the following

2 off single speaker connections

1 off double speaker connections

2 off single phono (for the subwoofer)

I've found some by QED but they're pretty expensive - The system doesn't
warrant that kind of money spending on it so does anyone know a decent,
quick source of these items?

Cheers for any help

C.

Dave Walsh

"completely made up" wrote in message
As the title suggests I'm, looking for wall mounted plates that fit a
normal single electrical back box.

I'm after concealing speaker cables under the floor for my surround system
but want a bit of flexibility so I can unplug without messy cables laying
about everywhere.

I'm after the following

2 off single speaker connections

1 off double speaker connections

2 off single phono (for the subwoofer)

I've found some by QED but they're pretty expensive - The system doesn't
warrant that kind of money spending on it so does anyone know a decent,
quick source of these items?

Cheers for any help

C.

I would use connectors known as XLR's. Theyre used in pro audio. What you
would need is inline male XLRs for the cables on the speakers,
http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/it...6_3000273.aspx and in the floor
you can get some nice floor boxes that would take a panel mounted female
XLR. You can even do the sub connection using a floor box and a D-type phono
connector.
The D-type refers to a standard used in pro audio which designates the size
of the hole on a panel required to fit a panel mount D-type connector.
(And yes to those who are in pro audio I am reversing the male female
standard for safety reasons better to have a female connector exposed to the
public when its carrying amplified signal than a male)

here are some things to look at;

a floor box:
http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/it...1_3000514.aspx

or mount onto a wall;
http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/re...tails/1735.pdf
with connectors;
http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/it...1_3000512.aspx
Or you could use Speakons but these are a bit large and garish for domestic
use
http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/re...tails/1837.pdf

Ohh look floor mount XLR connectors
http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/it...1_3000517.aspx

Standard wiring convention for XLR seakers is pin1 negative and pin2
positive, pin 3 has no connection.

there are also speakon connector panels available
http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/re...tails/1741.pdf

Hope this helps

Glukk
Dave W.

Dave Gibson

"completely made up" wrote in message
As the title suggests I'm, looking for wall mounted plates that fit a

normal
single electrical back box.

I'm after concealing speaker cables under the floor for my surround system
but want a bit of flexibility so I can unplug without messy cables laying
about everywhere.

I'm after the following

2 off single speaker connections

1 off double speaker connections

2 off single phono (for the subwoofer)

I've found some by QED but they're pretty expensive - The system doesn't
warrant that kind of money spending on it so does anyone know a decent,
quick source of these items?

Cheers for any help

C.

I buy the plain blanking plates and then fit them with whatever
sockets/terminals I need for the application.

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3e

..... also available in a range of other finishes if you look.

Dave

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"completely made up" writes:
As the title suggests I'm, looking for wall mounted plates that fit a normal
single electrical back box.

I'm after concealing speaker cables under the floor for my surround system
but want a bit of flexibility so I can unplug without messy cables laying
about everywhere.

I'm after the following

2 off single speaker connections

1 off double speaker connections

2 off single phono (for the subwoofer)

I've found some by QED but they're pretty expensive - The system doesn't
warrant that kind of money spending on it so does anyone know a decent,
quick source of these items?

CPC sell some. Depends what type of speaker socket you want.

I made my own using blanking plates and the raw socket parts.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
completely made up wrote:
I'm after concealing speaker cables under the floor for my surround
system but want a bit of flexibility so I can unplug without messy
cables laying about everywhere.

I'm after the following

2 off single speaker connections

1 off double speaker connections

2 off single phono (for the subwoofer)

I've found some by QED but they're pretty expensive - The system doesn't
warrant that kind of money spending on it so does anyone know a decent,
quick source of these items?

Easiest way is to make them.

Blank plates to match your existing sockets will be available from an
electrical wholesaler. The sheds may also have the common makes.

I'd use Speakon connectors for the speakers. Maplin etc. They'll also have
phono sockets designed for panel mounting.

Best way to cut the hole for the Speakons in a plastic plate is with a
hole saw used at slow speed in a drill.

--
*Don't byte off more than you can view *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Simon Stroud

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"completely made up" writes:
[...]

I just bought a load of these from CPC.

The wall-mounted screw terminals seem OK. Gold-looking plated and windy
"binding posts" with holes drilled through to take wires.

BUT the specially-for-speaker spade terminals (on the same page in the
catalogue) were totally useless. They have three "steps" in the spade thing
to supposedly fit three different terminal diameters. BUT they aren't big
enough to fit either the wall-mounted terminals or the terminals on the back
of my speakers. So I haven't bothered using them. Ebay here they come! Just
whacked the ends of the wires into the holes in the binding posts.

Regards,.
Simon.

Owain

"completely made up" wrote
| I hadn't thought of making them myself - Looks like the best idea.

There's an article about making outlet plates at

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/Resourc...t%20Plates.pdf

Owain

Peter

completely made up wrote:
As the title suggests I'm, looking for wall mounted plates that fit a normal
single electrical back box.

Actually B&Q now sell these plates, well the local (Reading) Warehouse
does. next to the TV aerials and computer bits.

Not sure of the cost.