DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Speedfit technique (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/76507-speedfit-technique.html)

Andy Hall November 19th 04 01:21 AM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 01:01:50 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

Most regard email as a distraction and some warn employees if they

receive
email from outside.

I don't know where you get that from.

I friend SMSed me last week and said send no emails as suspensions will be
given out if none work emails are received. A major bank.

If you think about it, that's highly odd. Most large organisations
have SPAM filtering as an internal or outsourced service.
They could, I suppose, implement restrictions on email from addresses
outside their organisation from coming in.

I could understand if a company wanted to implement a policy of not
wanting employees to *send* personal emails, but to have one of not
being allowed to *receive* them seems rather odd. It would be rather
like saying that it's your fault if somebody puts something through
your letter box.

I agree that banks may be different to some other organisations,
especially if they are using anything from Microsoft. I have found
some who have internal-only email systems in certain departments.
Some governmental organisations do this as well.

However, broadly speaking, the main concerns are with security, virus
and spam issues in most companies in my experience.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall November 19th 04 01:30 AM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 00:47:44 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 01:12:49 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

The Internet is far from being an enhanced service, it is absolutely
core and fundamental to business today and even to the creaking public
sector.

Bull****. The vast majority of organisations (IME) treat the Internet
(especially email) as some sort of toy - they don't treat either
websites or email as a serious means of getting messages across.

Very true, I knew of one company who banned the one person who's job would
have been both easier and more efficient from using email, many of the reps
used their own personal ISP email accounts to do what should have been done
through the business. The company web site, although extolling the companies
services / products, does not (the last time I bothered to look at the site)
have any online broaches, just an invitation to contact the sales team on a
telephone number - This from one a large player in that particular field of
business, go figure...

They are still around, although the numbers are dwindling, and the
companies themselves will dwindle as their communications become less
and less effective.

25 years ago, the telex was the defacto method of written business
communication where something faster than the post was needed.

As soon as fax machines became widespread and acceptable as
legally/commercially binding, telex died a death almost everywhere.

With electronic signature on emails etc., fax is not as important as
it was. I guess that about 1% max of my business communications
happen by fax, if that and even less by postal mail.

John Rumm November 19th 04 03:37 AM

Andy Hall wrote:

They are still around, although the numbers are dwindling, and the
companies themselves will dwindle as their communications become less
and less effective.

It is also worth distinguishing between a companies use of email as a
part of the running of its day to day business, and its use as a
communications tool with its customers. Many are very good at the
former, but still lacking at the later.

I know at one of our clients (a large multinational comms company),
email is a fundamental part of the day to day comms within the business,
and between subcontractors etc. However their web site is so poor, you
would be hard pushed to even identify more than 10% of their product
range, or even the full range of markets they are able to sell relevant
services and products into.

--
Cheers,

John.

IMM November 19th 04 10:39 AM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 00:49:09 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

- Email messages (with SPAM excluded) already outnumber postal paper
mail by a factor of over ten to one.

Most of those are tittle tattle, not real business communication.

Yours might fall into that category; but it isn't my observation at
all.

It is true that putting up a web site is by no stretch of the
imagination an indicator of business success - proper business
modelling is still required - but even with the 'back to reality' that
happened a couple of years ago there is still massive uptake in the
use of the internet for business purposes.

I can assure you that organisations are spending vast sums on this
technology area and are quite aware of the business and competitive
benefits of so doing.

Detailed, easy to navigate, up to date and simply explained web sites do
sell products. If people can download all your product, installation or
technical manuals you have an advantage. Customer service can be having

all
the old product manuals on line too. This gives a very positive

impression.

True points, although they don't replace having a sound business
strategy and execution of it. The graveyards are littered with the
corpses of dotcoms who thought that having a web site would
automatically lead to fame and riches.

..coms only do business via the web. I am on about a normal established
business. If all your products and services are on the web in detail with
nice piccies then you have an advantage. Much research is done via the web.
Also anyone who doing some research and find that a company does not have
its products on the web, they are regarded as backwards and are often
eliminated from any purchasing.

The companies that do brochures will also do, or farm out, the web site too.

IMM November 19th 04 10:41 AM

wrote:

[...]

telephone number

If a company has a bull**** web site. The ones that say nothing at all
except that they have a web site, are treated with suspicion, as it looks as
it they have something to hide.

Dave Plowman (News) November 19th 04 11:00 AM

In article ,
IMM wrote:
If people can download all your product, installation or
technical manuals you have an advantage.

You certainly make an 'advantage' out of this. ;-)

--
*The first rule of holes: If you are in one, stop digging!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

:::Jerry:::: November 19th 04 11:18 AM

wrote:

[...]

The thing about the above company is, it's growing despite not making full
use of the internet etc. Trouble is, it makes up for in-efficiencies in the
board-room by screwing those who work elsewhere in the company, especially
those who bring in the business and those who provide the service direct to
the end user - hence AIUI the company has a high turnover of staff in those
departments.

25 years ago, the telex was the defacto method of written business
communication where something faster than the post was needed.

As soon as fax machines became widespread and acceptable as
legally/commercially binding, telex died a death almost everywhere.

Only because better alternatives arrived, same day courier and better
computer networks and the fax (Telex was and is severely limited, as it's
name implies, unlike systems that came after).

With electronic signature on emails etc., fax is not as important as
it was. I guess that about 1% max of my business communications
happen by fax, if that and even less by postal mail.

Is any done by courier though, such as legal documents ?

:::Jerry:::: November 19th 04 11:22 AM

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:

They are still around, although the numbers are dwindling, and the
companies themselves will dwindle as their communications become less
and less effective.

It is also worth distinguishing between a companies use of email as a
part of the running of its day to day business, and its use as a
communications tool with its customers. Many are very good at the
former, but still lacking at the later.

Yes, in the example I gave the company does most of it's internal coms via
email, but out going / in coming email is very slight and strictly limited
(AIUI) to a couple of directors and the IT manager.

IMM November 19th 04 11:33 AM

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
IMM wrote:

If people can download all your product, installation or
technical manuals you have an advantage.

You certainly make an 'advantage' out of this. ;-)

Intelligent people take the easy way.

Andy Hall November 19th 04 11:39 AM

wrote:

[...]

.... or are incompetent.

Nowadays I avoid doing business with a company if they can't take
payment by credit card or BACS transfer. If they still need to
process paper cheques then they are wasting money on administration
and it is symbolic of an archaic approach to business and likel;y poor
service.

Andy Hall November 19th 04 11:46 AM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:39:14 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

.coms only do business via the web. I am on about a normal established
business.

I understand, although a lot are doing both.

It's true that quite a number of dotcoms had untenable business
models although quite a few have worked - Amazon being a classic
example. In that scenario, in the U.S., Barnes and Noble was a
case in point of a bricks and mortar outfit who initially refused to
have anything to do with e-commerce. They lost business hand over
fist. Now they have recovered somewhat, but were slow to realise
the impact of the internet. In our geography, WHSmith would be an
example except that their shop business has been a cockup for 20 years
or more anyway.

If all your products and services are on the web in detail with
nice piccies then you have an advantage. Much research is done via the web.
Also anyone who doing some research and find that a company does not have
its products on the web, they are regarded as backwards and are often
eliminated from any purchasing.

I completely agree provided that the product or service is worth
having and differentiated in other ways as well.

:::Jerry:::: November 19th 04 11:46 AM

IMM wrote:

If people can download all your product, installation or
technical manuals you have an advantage.

You certainly make an 'advantage' out of this. ;-)

Intelligent people take the easy way

and go to college (or what ever), the rest content themselves with reading
the makes bumph and dreaming....

:::Jerry:::: November 19th 04 12:00 PM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
snip

Nowadays I avoid doing business with a company if they can't take
payment by credit card or BACS transfer. snip

You might like to ponder the words of the bloke who set up the computer
system used by Scotland Yards anti 'electronic fraud' department, apparently
in an interview given early this week (or possibly last week) he states that
he would not give out his CC details on line even via so called secure
servers as most can be hacked.

IMM November 19th 04 12:03 PM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:39:14 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

.coms only do business via the web. I am on about a normal established
business.

I understand, although a lot are doing both.

It's true that quite a number of dotcoms had untenable business
models although quite a few have worked - Amazon being a classic
example.

And they were the first.

Dave Plowman (News) November 19th 04 01:31 PM

In article ,
IMM wrote:
If people can download all your product, installation or
technical manuals you have an advantage.

You certainly make an 'advantage' out of this. ;-)

Intelligent people take the easy way.

And dishonest people pass it off as their own work.

--
*It doesn't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep *

Dave Plowman (News) November 19th 04 01:32 PM

In article ,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
Nowadays I avoid doing business with a company if they can't take
payment by credit card or BACS transfer. snip

You might like to ponder the words of the bloke who set up the computer
system used by Scotland Yards anti 'electronic fraud' department,
apparently in an interview given early this week (or possibly last week)
he states that he would not give out his CC details on line even via so
called secure servers as most can be hacked.

Think he also mentioned this revolved around the use of Windows without a
firewall.

--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

IMM November 19th 04 02:11 PM

IMM wrote:
If people can download all your product, installation or
technical manuals you have an advantage.

You certainly make an 'advantage' out of this. ;-)

Intelligent people take the easy way.

And dishonest people pass it off as their own work.

This is madness on the Internet, a graphic example.

Owain November 19th 04 02:24 PM

"Andy Hall" wrote
| I'm less bothered about GPs, although IME, they don't run
| at all efficiently.

GPs are private sector under contract to the NHS.

| I am not sure what you include in public health.

Public health is things like infectious disease notification and control,
mass immunisation, epidemiology etc.

Owain

John Rumm November 19th 04 03:01 PM

IMM wrote:

It's true that quite a number of dotcoms had untenable business
models although quite a few have worked - Amazon being a classic
example.

And they were the first.

More to the point, they were the fist that you remember... In the UK at
least there were quite a number of other bookshops online that were here
before. How many of those do you remember?

(IIRC The Internetbook Shop was quite good before it was bought by WH
Smith!)

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm November 19th 04 03:08 PM

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
snip

Nowadays I avoid doing business with a company if they can't take
payment by credit card or BACS transfer. snip

You might like to ponder the words of the bloke who set up the computer
system used by Scotland Yards anti 'electronic fraud' department, apparently
in an interview given early this week (or possibly last week) he states that
he would not give out his CC details on line even via so called secure
servers as most can be hacked.

If he were thinking that through logically, then he would also never
hand over a cc in a shop or resteraunt, or use it over the phone. All of
the old manual processes are equally (or more) susceptable to fraud as
an online transaction. Online, the transaction itself is probably more
secure, however you have all the same vulberabilities after the
transaction with the storing, retention, and processing of the data.

--
Cheers,

John.

:::Jerry:::: November 19th 04 04:10 PM

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
Nowadays I avoid doing business with a company if they can't take
payment by credit card or BACS transfer. snip

You might like to ponder the words of the bloke who set up the computer
system used by Scotland Yards anti 'electronic fraud' department,
apparently in an interview given early this week (or possibly last week)
he states that he would not give out his CC details on line even via so
called secure servers as most can be hacked.

Think he also mentioned this revolved around the use of Windows without a
firewall.

But who's firewall, client or server, if the former then his words have less
impact but if it's the server side....

Andy Hall November 19th 04 06:32 PM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:18:32 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Silly situation. Eventually it will fail. This kind of policy is
indicative that there are probably lots of other broken things in the
business. Presumably they are maintaining their market position by
trading on former glories or having something unique or almost unique
in the market?

25 years ago, the telex was the defacto method of written business
communication where something faster than the post was needed.

As soon as fax machines became widespread and acceptable as
legally/commercially binding, telex died a death almost everywhere.

Only because better alternatives arrived, same day courier and better
computer networks and the fax (Telex was and is severely limited, as it's
name implies, unlike systems that came after).

With electronic signature on emails etc., fax is not as important as
it was. I guess that about 1% max of my business communications
happen by fax, if that and even less by postal mail.

Is any done by courier though, such as legal documents ?

There is the DX system that the legal and banking organisations seem
to use - I don't need to do that type of stuff though.....

Owain November 19th 04 06:56 PM

":::Jerry::::" wrote
| With electronic signature on emails etc., fax is not as
| important as it was. I guess that about 1% max of my
| business communications happen by fax, if that and even
| less by postal mail.
| Is any done by courier though, such as legal documents ?

Legal documents between solicitors (and some other organisations eg local
councils will usually have at least one mailbox) are sent using private mail
networks (Rutland Exchange/HaysDX/LegalPost). Staff take outgoing documents
to the local hub (in Scotland this is known as 'ruttling') and collect
incoming, and each member has their own lockable mailbox at the hub together
with boxes for mail ongoing to other parts of the network, which is handled
by courier. Organisations are charged for use of the exchange annually
depending on their assessed use, and it is known that Royal Mail DataPost
use peaks every time an assessment week for the exchange comes round :-)

I don't know if there's a special sticker on the envelope or if anyone could
drop something into the system if they found a mailbox.

Owain

:::Jerry:::: November 19th 04 08:02 PM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:18:32 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

snip

The thing about the above company is, it's growing despite not making

full
use of the internet etc. Trouble is, it makes up for in-efficiencies in

the
board-room by screwing those who work elsewhere in the company,

especially
those who bring in the business and those who provide the service direct

the end user - hence AIUI the company has a high turnover of staff in

those
departments.

Silly situation. Eventually it will fail. This kind of policy is
indicative that there are probably lots of other broken things in the
business. Presumably they are maintaining their market position by
trading on former glories or having something unique or almost unique
in the market?

No, they are providing nothing special in terms of product, equal to the
competition but nothing special, the point is they offer a total package.
The problem is that in doing so they are tending to screw the first and last
people the customer deals with. AIUI, other than a blip due to 9/11 they are
still expanding - perhaps you are right, their bubble will burst.

raden November 20th 04 03:08 AM

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:39:14 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

I completely agree provided that the product or service is worth
having and differentiated in other ways as well.

So, out of interest, what does anybody think of my website
www.cetltd.com ?

I would appreciate any constructive comments

--
geoff

raden November 20th 04 03:08 AM

In message , IMM writes

IMM wrote:
If people can download all your product, installation or
technical manuals you have an advantage.

You certainly make an 'advantage' out of this. ;-)

Intelligent people take the easy way.

And dishonest people pass it off as their own work.

This is madness on the Internet, a graphic example.

So where is your website DIMM ?

--
geoff

John Rumm November 20th 04 03:57 AM

raden wrote:

So, out of interest, what does anybody think of my website
www.cetltd.com ?

I would appreciate any constructive comments

I think it is actually quite good. If I go through a list of common
annoyances with web sites in general, there are none that you implement!

Positives:

It explains what the business does and what products and services you
offer.

Written in clear english without excess marketing bull

It's is easy to find contact information,

Works on all browsers,

Not reliant on flash (in any sense of the word),

Pages load quickly

Navigation is simple

Colours and fonts sensibly chosen

Minor Niggles:

Images lack alternate text descriptions (but there are unlikely to be
that many partially sighted boiler repair people out there - so not that
much of an issue)

Since the picture can be an important part of helping someone identify a
part (or at least gain reassurance they are ordering the right thing) it
could do with more pictures of the products. Currently the thumbnails
display mostly says "not got pictures of much really!" (I might tone
down the green on the missing picture thumbnail at bit as well).

From a web deveopers perspective, I would be tempted to obscure the
mailto link so that it is not so readily harvested by spam bots (most of
which read the text of the site without interpreting the html) so
something like:

a href="&#109ailto:info@cetltd.com?Parts%20Enquiry" Contact Us/a

should work just the same as your current contact link, but is not as
readily harvested.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm November 20th 04 03:59 AM

In message , IMM writes

IMM wrote:
If people can download all your product, installation or
technical manuals you have an advantage.

You certainly make an 'advantage' out of this. ;-)

Intelligent people take the easy way.

And dishonest people pass it off as their own work.

This is madness on the Internet, a graphic example.

So where is your website DIMM ?

He can't even type english, so can you imagine what a browser would make
of his html?

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Plowman (News) November 20th 04 09:52 AM

In article ,
raden wrote:
This is madness on the Internet, a graphic example.

So where is your website DIMM ?

He'd get sued for copyright infringement?

--
*Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Owain November 20th 04 10:10 AM

"John Rumm" wrote
| Minor Niggles:
| Images lack alternate text descriptions (but there are unlikely
| to be that many partially sighted boiler repair people out
| there - so not that much of an issue)

There are plenty of people who browse with images off anyway, and even
though there may not be many partially sighted boiler repair people there
could be boiler repair people who've got partially sighted people doing
their research and purchasing.

Owain

Dave Plowman (News) November 20th 04 10:10 AM

In article ,
raden wrote:
So, out of interest, what does anybody think of my website
www.cetltd.com ?

I would appreciate any constructive comments

I've got one very basic browser (Netsurf) which is great for glancing at
sites for information purposes as it renders near instantly.
And your site delivers the 'bones' just fine on it.

Works well on my other two RISC OS browsers as well.

So I'd say it is accessible to anyone on any platform without problems.

I'm always surprised at the number of sites designed as a service to a
customer - and therefore to help sell a product - that are made
inaccessible to many because of the totally unnecessary use of the latest
plug in gizmo all in the name of 'design'. And those that use stupid ideas
like black text on a dark background - or across some graphic - making it
near impossible or tiring to read.

Just love the ones that pop up saying 'this site is best viewed on IE
whatever' Would RS Components be best pleased if their site had a pop up
saying 'you'd be better off buying from CPS'?

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

:::Jerry:::: November 20th 04 11:12 AM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:39:14 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

I completely agree provided that the product or service is worth
having and differentiated in other ways as well.

So, out of interest, what does anybody think of my website
www.cetltd.com ?

I would appreciate any constructive comments

Open your browser and load your site, then turn of images and reload, does
the site still make sense and would it make sense to someone who had never
visited it before. Also if what you see is being spoken to you via a text to
speech browser would it make sense [1]. I also think you shouldn't be
choosing text sizes, if you want to do that then do so via a style sheet
(either embedded or linked), then the visitor can decide if your suggested
text size is OK for *them* - otherwise they can refuse your suggestion and
chose their own IYSWIM.

Apart from the above I have no pressing issues, other than the automatic
redirect on the default opening page, you invite people to read the intro
and follow one of the supplied URL but far to quickly IMO take them on to
another page that could have contained the introduction anyway !

[1] bearing in mind that images without an alt description could well have
the images src URL read out instead.

:::Jerry:::: November 20th 04 11:14 AM

raden wrote:
This is madness on the Internet, a graphic example.

So where is your website DIMM ?

He'd get sued for copyright infringement?

Can you get sued for a redirect ?.....

IMM November 20th 04 11:44 AM

In message , IMM writes

IMM wrote:
If people can download all your product, installation or
technical manuals you have an advantage.

You certainly make an 'advantage' out of this. ;-)

Intelligent people take the easy way.

And dishonest people pass it off as their own work.

This is madness on the Internet, a graphic example.

So where is your website DIMM ?

Yes where is Dim Lin, the Oriental Enchantresses web site? Good point
Maxie.

IMM November 20th 04 11:46 AM

raden wrote:
This is madness on the Internet, a graphic example.

So where is your website DIMM ?

He'd get sued for copyright infringement?

What a diork! Dim Lin is a bird. An Oriental enchantress.

IMM November 20th 04 12:23 PM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:39:14 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

I completely agree provided that the product or service is worth
having and differentiated in other ways as well.

So, out of interest, what does anybody think of my website
www.cetltd.com ?

I would appreciate any constructive comments

Maxie. The opening is cluttered. I have tightened and smartened it up for
you. The itemised parts you services are now clear and in order and would
be better in bold to grab the readers eye. Alos he now knows that you have
the part and can have it the next day, or the same day if he visits your
place.
________
Control Engineering Technology repair and recondition:

- Printed circuit boards
- Controls
- Fans
- Timers
- Actuators for central heating boilers.

Trading since 1993, Control Engineering Technology do extensive work for
large service companies. However, we supply to anyone giving a cost
effective alternative to new boiler parts. Browse the product range and
view our competitive prices. If the part you are looking for is not listed,
it doesn't mean that we can't supply it, so contact us. What is listed is
in stock unless stated.

If in stock, parts can be collected from our premises, or next day delivery.
All items are covered by a 12 month guarantee. All prices exclude VAT and
delivery.

Contact Control Enfineering Technology for more details.
______________

Your pcbs and modules should state what boiler models they are applicable.
A customer seeing pcb number, 1234/abc, will not know that is for a say W-B
Junior. He only knows his boiler make and model. Or put in the models you
know it is applicable to, and say "amongst others", and when you learn of
other models insert them. Make it easy for them. You may do many parts,
but don't have a particular part in stock. This should be clear that you do
it, but an "out of stock contact us" should accompany the part description.

Dave Plowman (News) November 20th 04 02:10 PM

In article ,
IMM wrote:
Maxie. The opening is cluttered. I have tightened and smartened it up
for you.

The very thought of you taking a hacksaw to prose...

--
*Born free...Taxed to death.

Capitol November 20th 04 11:29 PM

raden wrote:

I would appreciate any constructive comments

Very nice. A simple map might be useful for people trying to find you.
I found that the picture of this product

Stelrad - Pcb
Product Name : Stelrad Elan.
Description : 7A (60550)
Notes : 50550
GC Number : 319035

would not display more than the top 1" , when using Mozilla. Don't
know why. Hope this helps.

Regards
Capitol

raden November 21st 04 03:10 AM

[...]