Steven C

Default Tiny Kitchen Ideas

Hi All,

Does anyone know of any good companies and/or ideas for very small
kitchens? Reduced depth units, slim-line appliances etc.

What I have found so far:
- Arena Kitchens do 45cm reduced depth base units
- Slim-line dishwasher
- Using plinth drawers
- Possibly using 30cm depth wall units as base units

My new kitchen will be 2m by 1.8m, and I'm having all sorts of problems
designing a kitchen to fit all the appliances and still leave enough
storage space and work surface area. It is too narrow for a galley
kitchen, but corners waste a lot of space, or corner units take up a
large 90cm by 90cm.

Thanks for your help,
Steve.
BigWallop

"Steven C" wrote in message
Hi All,

Does anyone know of any good companies and/or ideas for very small
kitchens? Reduced depth units, slim-line appliances etc.

What I have found so far:
- Arena Kitchens do 45cm reduced depth base units
- Slim-line dishwasher
- Using plinth drawers
- Possibly using 30cm depth wall units as base units

My new kitchen will be 2m by 1.8m, and I'm having all sorts of problems
designing a kitchen to fit all the appliances and still leave enough
storage space and work surface area. It is too narrow for a galley
kitchen, but corners waste a lot of space, or corner units take up a
large 90cm by 90cm.

Thanks for your help,
Steve.

Kitchen units are most commonly made from Conti-Board (chipboard), so make
your own. All the fixtures and fittings can be bought from most major DIY
stores, so all you need is a tape measure and some tools to make your units
to the sizes you want.

Worktops don't have to be bought ready made. Something like 18mm plywood,
glued together to form two layers is an ideal worktop. Coverings and
finishes can be anything which gives a water-proof coating on the top (but
it's best to use chopping boards on any worktop surfaces anyway).

Kitchen units are very simple construction, so make your own.

---

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"BigWallop" writes:

Kitchen units are most commonly made from Conti-Board (chipboard), so make
your own. All the fixtures and fittings can be bought from most major DIY
stores, so all you need is a tape measure and some tools to make your units
to the sizes you want.

or buy units and cut them down. I did this with some IKEA kitchen
units to create 20cm deep bathroom vanity unit. The equivalent
bathroom units are several times the price, and completely crap
quality compared with kitchen units.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Mary Fisher

"Steven C" wrote in message
Hi All,

Does anyone know of any good companies and/or ideas for very small
kitchens? Reduced depth units, slim-line appliances etc.

What I have found so far:
- Arena Kitchens do 45cm reduced depth base units
- Slim-line dishwasher
- Using plinth drawers
- Possibly using 30cm depth wall units as base units

My new kitchen will be 2m by 1.8m,

Heavens! That's even smaller than mine ...

My suggestion would be to add on to it. Or make a combined kitchen/living
area and use the present kitchen as a utility room.

Mary

Owain

"Steven C" wrote
| Does anyone know of any good companies and/or ideas for very
| small kitchens? Reduced depth units, slim-line appliances etc.

Have a look at caravan and boating mags for inspiration

Do you really need a dishwasher?
Can the washing machine go elsewhere?
Sliding or bi-fold doors work better in small spaces.
Cookers take up a huge amount of space - a hob and a combi-microwave may be
a substitute (if you have a good pizzeria locally)

I *wish* someone would make an under-the-counter single-width
fridge/freezer. Fridges only have a little icebox not a proper half-size
freezer. There must be thousands of single people in small flats who want a
freezer big enough for a pizza and a vodka bottle and don't need a full-size
fridge compartment.

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
"Steven C" wrote
| Does anyone know of any good companies and/or ideas for very
| small kitchens? Reduced depth units, slim-line appliances etc.

Have a look at caravan and boating mags for inspiration

I *wish* someone would make an under-the-counter single-width
fridge/freezer. Fridges only have a little icebox not a proper half-size
freezer. There must be thousands of single people in small flats who want
freezer big enough for a pizza and a vodka bottle and don't need a
full-size
fridge compartment.

As you say, caravan suppliers have such things. But they are frightfuly
expensive - more than the full size versions in some cases.

Mary

Owain

N. Thornton

"Owain" wrote in message ...
"Steven C" wrote

| Does anyone know of any good companies and/or ideas for very
| small kitchens? Reduced depth units, slim-line appliances etc.

Do you really need a dishwasher?
Can the washing machine go elsewhere?
Sliding or bi-fold doors work better in small spaces.
Cookers take up a huge amount of space - a hob and a combi-microwave may be
a substitute (if you have a good pizzeria locally)

The usual approach is to put the fridge freezer in the lounge and the
washer in the bathroom. I would differ with Owain on one point though,
do get a dishwasher in somewhere!

Cant you extend a bit? Even just a wooden structure adding a few more
feet onto one side would double the amount of appliance cabinet and
worktop space. That could be done without PP in many cases. Wood
frame, panels, sheet insulation.

NT
Pete C

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 18:36:02 -0000, "Owain"
wrote:

I *wish* someone would make an under-the-counter single-width
fridge/freezer. Fridges only have a little icebox not a proper half-size
freezer. There must be thousands of single people in small flats who want a
freezer big enough for a pizza and a vodka bottle and don't need a full-size
fridge compartment.

Hi,

Some fridges have the thermostat under the icebox so it's almost full
width.

A small freezer could probably be located elsewhere in the home if
there's space.

cheers,
Pete.
Shockwave

Steven C wrote in message ...
Hi All,

Does anyone know of any good companies and/or ideas for very small
kitchens? Reduced depth units, slim-line appliances etc.

What I have found so far:
- Arena Kitchens do 45cm reduced depth base units
- Slim-line dishwasher
- Using plinth drawers
- Possibly using 30cm depth wall units as base units

Cut down normal B&Q kitchen units and work surface...it's easy enough
to do.

Zannussi and hotpoint do small tabletop dishwashers...I manages to get
one of these to fit under the kitchen sink in my previous small flat.

A baby belling would be a good substitute for a proper cooker.

Consider a sliding door.

A wall mounted microwave frees up workspace.

Caravan suppliers do ultra small stainless steel sinks.

Think about putting the washing machine elsewhere..or use a
launderette.

Is there any possibility of 'sinking' any of the cupboards through a
wall or maybe making a serving hatch with a work surface on the other
side...maybe open up one wall of the kitchen to the lounge and make an
open plan arrangemebt?

shokk
IMM

"Shockwave" wrote in message
om...

Is there any possibility of 'sinking' any of the cupboards through a
wall or

Embedding cupboards into a wall? Gosh!