inNeedofHelp

Default Stud Partition and RSJ

In my Flat the original kitchen layout had a recess (about the size
for a table) which then backed onto the hall cupboard.

The recess and cupboard were knocked together to create a box room so
the kitchen no longer has a recess.
I want to change the layout back to how it was originally - Kitchen
with recess and hall Cupboard. However the original wall between the
cupboard and the recess must have been a supporting wall as there is
an RSJ there.

I need to put up a stud partition wall under the RSJ then plasterboard
over the lot so it just looks like the Original wall.

1) Do I need to build a frame either side of the RSJ?
or
2) can I just build up to the RSJ (if so how would you attach the
ceiling plate to the RSJ)?
Grunff

inNeedofHelp wrote:

However the original wall between the
cupboard and the recess must have been a supporting wall as there is
an RSJ there.

This bit of logic defeats me - why must it have been a supporting wall
because there is an RSJ there? Where is the RSJ, and where do its ends rest?

--
Grunff
inNeedofHelp

Grunff wrote in message ...
inNeedofHelp wrote:

However the original wall between the
cupboard and the recess must have been a supporting wall as there is
an RSJ there.

This bit of logic defeats me - why must it have been a supporting wall
because there is an RSJ there? Where is the RSJ, and where do its ends rest?

The RSJ is about 2 foot down from the cieling height. Above this
there is part of the original dividing brick wall which the RSJ is
supporting. The ends of the RSJ are inserted into the walls either
side which run at 90 degrees to the RSJ/old partition wall
BigWallop

"inNeedofHelp" wrote in message
om...
In my Flat the original kitchen layout had a recess (about the size
for a table) which then backed onto the hall cupboard.

The recess and cupboard were knocked together to create a box room so
the kitchen no longer has a recess.
I want to change the layout back to how it was originally - Kitchen
with recess and hall Cupboard. However the original wall between the
cupboard and the recess must have been a supporting wall as there is
an RSJ there.

I need to put up a stud partition wall under the RSJ then plasterboard
over the lot so it just looks like the Original wall.

1) Do I need to build a frame either side of the RSJ?
or
2) can I just build up to the RSJ (if so how would you attach the
ceiling plate to the RSJ)?

You won't need to many fixing points on the RSJ, so drill through with an
HSS drill bit and bolt, or self tap, the ceiling plate to one side of the
leaf on the RSJ.

---

Christian McArdle

2) can I just build up to the RSJ (if so how would you attach the
ceiling plate to the RSJ)?

Is there any need to attach to the ceiling? I'd just mount the studs firmly
against the walls each side and mount the top plate on top of them. I'm
presuming the "span" is quite short. Make sure you tape the plasterboard,
though, to avoid cracks due to movement at the top of the wall. I'd be
tempted to use a bit of no more nails to stick it up to reduce movement, but
not to provide actual strength.

Christian.