Andrew Gabriel

Default Floor construction in fireplace

I just unbricked a bricked-up fireplace, and intend to turn it
into an alcove which could take a shelf or cupboard door on the
front. The floor of the fireplace was just tiles on earth.
Now I want to run whatever flooring (carpet or wood) I eventually
use into this alcove, so I'm thinking of excavating this enough
to pour in a solid floor, preferably with a dampproof layer and
possibly with thermal insulation too (although we're only talking
of an area of 2-3 square feet). One other factor is that I don't
want to rule out the possibility of using it as a fireplace sometime
in the future, so I guess a layer of expanded polystyrene under
the screed is ruled out. Is there anything similar suitable for
high temperatures?

Any suggestions on construction methods, including suggestions
for the mix and depth of the floor?

--
Andrew Gabriel
The Natural Philosopher

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I just unbricked a bricked-up fireplace, and intend to turn it
into an alcove which could take a shelf or cupboard door on the
front. The floor of the fireplace was just tiles on earth.
Now I want to run whatever flooring (carpet or wood) I eventually
use into this alcove, so I'm thinking of excavating this enough
to pour in a solid floor, preferably with a dampproof layer and
possibly with thermal insulation too (although we're only talking
of an area of 2-3 square feet). One other factor is that I don't
want to rule out the possibility of using it as a fireplace sometime
in the future, so I guess a layer of expanded polystyrene under
the screed is ruled out. Is there anything similar suitable for
high temperatures?

Any suggestions on construction methods, including suggestions
for the mix and depth of the floor?

You can use poly if you go down far enough. My fireplaces are laid on
full plastic DPM all round and that hasn't failed yet.

I would guesstimate that going down about 6-9" and then
rubble/concrete/DPM/insulation/concrete plus final surface is good enough.

I jhave notice with our open fires that heat travels upwards: The bricks
at the fireback did get red hot, but the hearths are relatively cool,
even when hot ashs falls on them. I'd say 3-4" of tiles and conctrete is
fine with teh plastuic insulation.

Andy Wade

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

[...] One other factor is that I don't
want to rule out the possibility of using it as a fireplace sometime
in the future, so I guess a layer of expanded polystyrene under
the screed is ruled out. Is there anything similar suitable for
high temperatures?

Any suggestions on construction methods, including suggestions
for the mix and depth of the floor?

How about a vermiculite mortar (as used for filling in behind firebacks)?
You can still buy 'micafil' for this purpose, or at least you could in '96
when I did my fireplace. The mix is about 1:6 OPC:micafil (no sand), with
just enough water to make it workable. I'd guess about a 150mm thickness
would be OK, with (say) a 40-50mm sand & cement screed on top to get a
smooth surface.

--
Andy