Michael D

Default Can I tell if my boiler has a bypass fitted?

I had a new boiler (Potterton 80 combi) fitted about 5 years ago & had
TRV's fitted (on all radiators) at the same time. Subsequently
someone said to me that I should have at least 1 radiator without a
TRV. When I mentioned this to the British Gas engineer doing my
annual service during the summer he removed the one from my bathroom
(he didn't seem to check whether or not I had a bypass).

The problem now is that my bathroom is very warm - uncomfortably so at
times, so I'd like to put the TRV back on. As I don't actually know
for sure whether or not I've got a bypass fitted I don't know whether
I can safely put the TRV back on. As the pipework around the boiler
is boxed in I can't tell if there's a bypass there without slightly
trashing the 'boxing-in'.

Any advice on whether or not it's likely I've got a bypass or how I
could find out would be useful.

Many thanks,

Michael
Set Square

Michael D wrote:

[...]

There seems to be some muddled thinking here! The idea of having one
radiator without a TRV is that you must *also* have a room stat in the area
served by that radiator, which switches the *whole lot* off when it gets up
to temperature - otherwise known as a boiler interlock.

Have you got such a room stat? Without it, there was no point whatsoever in
removing the TRV!

Whether or nor you need a by-pass depends on a number of factors. Does your
boiler have a pump over-run stat, and is the pump connected to it? Do you
have an S-Plan (2 x 2-port zone valves) system or a Y-Plan (3-port
mid-position valve) system? If the latter, and if one rad is always on,
there should always be a flow path open - thus not needing a by-pass.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Ed Sirett

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 02:01:53 -0700, Michael D wrote:

[...]

What do the installation instructions say?
A way of implementing a bypass is to have a permanently open radiator
although dedicated pipework with a gate valve or pressure sensitive bypass
valve is better.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Christian McArdle

Whether or nor you need a by-pass depends on a number of factors. Does
your
boiler have a pump over-run stat, and is the pump connected to it? Do you
have an S-Plan (2 x 2-port zone valves) system or a Y-Plan (3-port
mid-position valve) system?

Very unlikely, as it is a combi boiler...

Christian.

Set Square

Christian McArdle wrote:

Whether or nor you need a by-pass depends on a number of factors.
Does your boiler have a pump over-run stat, and is the pump
connected to it? Do you have an S-Plan (2 x 2-port zone valves)
system or a Y-Plan (3-port mid-position valve) system?

Very unlikely, as it is a combi boiler...

Christian.

Fair point - I had overlooked the "combi" reference. It is likely,
therefore, with no zone valves and one permanently-on rad, that a by-pass
*isn't* required.

I was more concerned (in the part of my post which you didn't quote) with
the fact that a TRV had been removed, but that there was no mention of a
room stat.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Christian McArdle

I was more concerned (in the part of my post which you didn't quote) with
the fact that a TRV had been removed, but that there was no mention of a
room stat.

Indeed, although it might be better to switch the TRVless radiator to the
lounge. A room thermostat in the bathroom could be less than ideal.

Christian.

mike ring

"Christian McArdle" wrote in
et:

Indeed, although it might be better to switch the TRVless radiator to
the lounge. A room thermostat in the bathroom could be less than
ideal.

Christian.

As long as there isn't a gas fire in the lounge, like mine.

(Apologies to respondents, but it may not be that obvious to the OP)

mike

Michael D

"Christian McArdle" wrote...

Indeed, although it might be better to switch the TRVless radiator to the
lounge. A room thermostat in the bathroom could be less than ideal.

Christian.

Thanks for the replies - I haven't got a room stat, either in the
bathroom or in any other room... which is obviously why the room's
getting so warm. I'd like to put the TRV back on, but I don't want to
if it's going to cause problems if I don't have a bypass fitted (I
seem to remember that I did have a pump go about 18 months ago).

The installation instructions for the (Myson) TRV's say that a bypass
should be fitted - the problem is that I don't know if there is one.

The plumber who fitted the boiler fitted the TRV's on all the
radiators (at the same time as installing the boiler). I don't know if
that means that it's fair to assume that it's very likely that he
would have fitted a bypass.

Regards,

Michael

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM
Boiler kettling? David Hearn UK diy 5 January 1st 04 07:47 PM
Gas boiler service review/advice David Hearn UK diy 1 November 18th 03 04:21 PM
New boiler operation/settings John UK diy 3 October 27th 03 10:57 PM