DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Secondary glazing kits ? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/74925-secondary-glazing-kits.html)

Timothy Murphy October 28th 04 03:39 AM

Secondary glazing kits ?

I have some Polycell secondary glazing in my Victorian house,
which is extremely effective.
Unfortunately Polycell has gone out of this business.
I wonder if anyone can recommend a similar product?

I'm actually looking for a very simple secondary glazing kit
in which a fairly small sheet of glass lifts up to remove it.
I'd like to use this in adn attic with several small windows.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie

Tom October 29th 04 09:36 AM

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I have some Polycell secondary glazing in my Victorian house,
which is extremely effective.
Unfortunately Polycell has gone out of this business.
I wonder if anyone can recommend a similar product?

I'm actually looking for a very simple secondary glazing kit
in which a fairly small sheet of glass lifts up to remove it.
I'd like to use this in adn attic with several small windows.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

There is a firm providing similar kits, -
http://www.protechwindows.com/liftouts.htm
However, I have never used them so cannot make a recommendation.
Surely there are other firms also making or supplying similar. Try Googling
"lift out DIY secondary glazing" or some combination of those words.
Good Luck
Tom

Timothy Murphy October 29th 04 05:26 PM

Tom wrote:

I'm actually looking for a very simple secondary glazing kit
in which a fairly small sheet of glass lifts up to remove it.
I'd like to use this in adn attic with several small windows.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

There is a firm providing similar kits, -
http://www.protechwindows.com/liftouts.htm

Thanks for that.
I had actually looked at that URL,
and wasn't sure if they sold kits or whole units (with glass).
But I'll send them email, as they suggest.

However, I have never used them so cannot make a recommendation.
Surely there are other firms also making or supplying similar. Try
Googling "lift out DIY secondary glazing" or some combination of those
words. Good Luck

I did make a fairly extensive search with google,
and didn't come across anything as straightforward
as Polycell kits used to be.
I vaguely recall that when I bought the Polycell units 15-20 years ago,
"Which" had done a survey which gave top marks to Polycell and Sellotape.
But if Sellotape ever did make this product,
I don't see any evidence that they do so any more.