dirt dibbler

Default damp roof timber

I've just found a small leak in my tiled roof, after heavy rain one of the
timbers in the loft is damp & the same ceiling area in the back of a fitted
wardrobe has signs of some damp, probably over some considerable time.
The roof will be fixed ASAP, but i'm more comcerned about the roof timbers &
the effects of the damp.
Once dried out should i be applying something to preserve the timber/reduce
the risk of any rot/kill off any possible fungus, or am i being paranoid?

thanks

DD

Pecanfan

Once dried out should i be applying something to preserve the
timber/reduce
the risk of any rot/kill off any possible fungus, or am i being paranoid?

I'm no expert but have had a similar situation recently myself (a major beam
had been subject to many months, possibly years of water penetration through
a hole in the roof). The beam was significantly softer as a result of the
water saturation (not so soft as to be useless but soft enough to be cause
of concern).

Anyway, the roof's fixed now and after about 4-5 weeks the beam dried out
naturally and you'd never know there'd been a problem - it seems just as
solid as all the other beams.

Based on this, and advice given by professional joiners, providing it's now
dry and there's plenty airflow around the timber in question I'd just leave
it to dry out naturally. I'd be wary about applying any form of
preservative at this stage in case it actually inhibited the drying process?
As I say, no expert though...

Andy

dirt dibbler

"Pecanfan" wrote in message
[...]

thanks, i'm going to let it dry out, i just wondered if fungicide would be
beneficial. I'll keep an eye on it for any rogue growths.

DD

The Natural Philosopher

dirt dibbler wrote:

"Pecanfan" wrote in message

[...]

Let it dry and if ou acre enough, spary on some wood treament gunk.
Smells teriible, but a hand sparyer (like the things that cleaing gunk
comes in) is good fr getting into corners.

It will help prevent problems later, but it sounds like you got there in
time on this one.

To rot, wood needs to be permanently damp. If it dries out
periodicially, the fungus all dies off, and thats that.

DD

Replace conservatory roof with timber Christian McArdle UK diy 3 May 28th 04 10:42 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
More damp testing woes Kooky45 UK diy 22 October 21st 03 11:33 AM
Garage - timber for roof trusses Paul UK diy 1 August 18th 03 09:27 AM