DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Back to back gas fires (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/74477-back-back-gas-fires.html)

Chris V October 24th 04 09:51 PM

Back to back gas fires

I have a bungalow with chimney at one end, and a fitted gas fire in that room.

I will shortly have a single room extension build on this end of the bungalow.

Is it OK to open up the same fireplace from the new room and fit another gas fire.

The result would be 2 gas fires back to back and both feeding into a single chimney.

Thanks Chris

Set Square October 24th 04 10:05 PM

Chris V wrote:

I have a bungalow with chimney at one end, and a fitted gas fire in
that room.

I will shortly have a single room extension build on this end of the
bungalow.

Is it OK to open up the same fireplace from the new room and fit
another gas fire.

The result would be 2 gas fires back to back and both feeding into a
single chimney.

Thanks Chris

I very much doubt whether you can do this. The installation instructions for
my gas fire say quite explicitly that it must have a dedicated chimney. I
expect yours is the same.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

John Stumbles October 25th 04 02:41 PM

Chris V wrote:
I have a bungalow with chimney at one end, and a fitted gas fire in that room.

I will shortly have a single room extension build on this end of the bungalow.

Is it OK to open up the same fireplace from the new room and fit another gas fire.

The result would be 2 gas fires back to back and both feeding into a single chimney.

Absolutely not!

With one fire on and the other off and the appropriate airflow around
the house you'd get products of combustion from the working fire coming
out of the non-working one. This would be classified as Immediately
Dangerous in CORGI-speak and get the appliances cut off, and probably a
RIDDOR report to the HSE.

Chris V October 27th 04 09:14 AM

John Stumbles wrote in message ...
Chris V wrote:
I have a bungalow with chimney at one end, and a fitted gas fire in that room.

I will shortly have a single room extension build on this end of the bungalow.

Is it OK to open up the same fireplace from the new room and fit another gas fire.

The result would be 2 gas fires back to back and both feeding into a single chimney.

Absolutely not!

With one fire on and the other off and the appropriate airflow around
the house you'd get products of combustion from the working fire coming
out of the non-working one. This would be classified as Immediately
Dangerous in CORGI-speak and get the appliances cut off, and probably a
RIDDOR report to the HSE.

Thanks John
Helped avoid a tricky situation. I will put an electric fire in the
new extension and leave the current chimney untouched.
Cheers Chris