The Question Asker

Default Am I being Stupid About a pond???

Hi,
We have a pond in our back garden, which we have just had excavated, its
lined with fairly thick London clay, It use to hold water in as it was but
usually dried up in summer, although it hasn't dried up yet. We've had it
doubled in volume, about 10m by 10m, it is fed by rain water from the roof
of our house. Once its filled up is it likely that it will stay fairly full
give or take a few feet evap, or will it fall to the water table level which
is quite low....
Cheers
Oli

geoff

In message , Huge
writes
"The Question Asker" writes:
Hi,
We have a pond in our back garden, which we have just had excavated, its
lined with fairly thick London clay, It use to hold water in as it was but
usually dried up in summer, although it hasn't dried up yet. We've had it
doubled in volume, about 10m by 10m, it is fed by rain water from the roof
of our house. Once its filled up is it likely that it will stay fairly full
give or take a few feet evap, or will it fall to the water table level which
is quite low....

Our butyl lined pond needs topping up every few weeks in the summer. It's
some 18' across and 4' deep in the middle.

Mine needs topping up every few days - I think my wife has punctured the
liner

Don't forget to get a filter to make at least a nominal attempt at
trying to keep the algae / weed under control, otherwise it will quickly
end up a mass of green sludge
--
geoff
The Natural Philosopher

The Question Asker wrote:

Hi,
We have a pond in our back garden, which we have just had excavated, its
lined with fairly thick London clay, It use to hold water in as it was but
usually dried up in summer, although it hasn't dried up yet. We've had it
doubled in volume, about 10m by 10m, it is fed by rain water from the roof
of our house. Once its filled up is it likely that it will stay fairly full
give or take a few feet evap, or will it fall to the water table level which
is quite low....
Cheers
Oli

Should stay fairly full. Mine does(suffolk clay)

Top it up and smear wet clay around for a while - that helps form a basin.