Phil Addison

Default What is the diyprojects.info forum for?

What is the purpose diyprojects.info? As far as I can see it has no
original DIY material at all.

Am I being uncharitable in thinking it is simply taking a feed from
here (i.e. on the actual uk.d-i-y Usenet Newsgroup) and rec.woodworking
in order to draw visitors who might click on their adverts, or is it a
useful service? Is it OK to clone a newsgroup onto a website as a
'forum' like that? To give credit, they do say their forums are
'synchronized with Usenet'.

Who is it run by - the site seems anonymous?

To be fair, the ads are pretty innocuous, and probably useful for DIY
and Woodworking, I just wondered what this is all about and what people
here think about it.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
Andy Wade

http://www.diyprojects.info/ - hmm, ISWYM.

Am I being uncharitable in thinking it is simply taking a feed from
here (i.e. on the actual uk.d-i-y Usenet Newsgroup) and rec.woodworking
in order to draw visitors who might click on their adverts, or is it a
useful service?

I suppose it could be useful to people who haven't discovered Usenet or
Google Groups.

Is it OK to clone a newsgroup onto a website as a 'forum' like that?
To give credit, they do say their forums are 'synchronized with
Usenet'.

Good question. Dunno, but I'd be interested in what others think.

Who is it run by - the site seems anonymous?

A whois lookup reveals /inter alia/:

Domain ID295418-LRMS
Domain NameIYPROJECTS.INFO
Created On:13-Sep-2001 06:07:50 UTC
Last Updated On:13-Sep-2004 15:42:22 UTC
Expiration Date:13-Sep-2005 06:07:50 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:R139-LRMS
Status:ACTIVE
Status:OK
Registrant ID:C5755079-LRMS
Registrant Name:The Hostmaster
Registrant Organization:Web-S-Sense Pty. Ltd.
Registrant Street1:P.O. Box 110
Registrant City:Surrey Downs
Registrant State/Province:SA
Registrant Postal Code:5126
Registrant Country:AU
Registrant Phone:+61.0408827991
Registrant

To be fair, the ads are pretty innocuous, and probably useful for DIY
and Woodworking, I just wondered what this is all about and what people
here think about it.

"Ads by Google" seems to be the clue - click on it...

quote from
https://www.google.com/adsense/?sourceid=aso&subid=WW-ET-ADSBY2
" When you join the AdSense programme, you can:
* Make money when visitors click on ads associated with your site.
* Enhance your visitors' online experience with ads that are
relevant to what they see on your pages.
* Increase repeat visits by adding a Google search box to your site.
* Manage your account and track earnings online with easy-to-use tools.
* Get started fast and pay nothing to participate. Once approved,
you start serving ads in minutes.
/quote

So we do all the work and Web-S-Sense Pty. Ltd. rakes in the dosh.

--
Andy
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 14:41:02 +0100, Andy Wade wrote:

What is the purpose diyprojects.info? As far as I can see it has no
original DIY material at all.

http://www.diyprojects.info/ - hmm, ISWYM.

Just another slow an clunky interface for those who haven't found a
proper newsreader yet?

So we do all the work and Web-S-Sense Pty. Ltd. rakes in the dosh.

Only if people click on the ads...

Now I wonder how clever its quote detection is?

a Quote

or not

is this

or that

- quote?

DL Is this?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:44:50 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

Now I wonder how clever its quote detection is?

a Quote

or not

is this

or that

All those it sees as a single quote.

- quote?

DL Is this?

Those aren't quotes according to the site, time to change my quote
prefix. B-)

Got 9 "members" wow...

Oh and with google you have the option of using the X-No-Archive
header or tag in the posting body.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

raden

In message , Andy Wade
writes
Phil Addison wrote:

What is the purpose diyprojects.info? As far as I can see it has no
original DIY material at all.

http://www.diyprojects.info/ - hmm, ISWYM.

Am I being uncharitable in thinking it is simply taking a feed from
here (i.e. on the actual uk.d-i-y Usenet Newsgroup) and rec.woodworking
in order to draw visitors who might click on their adverts, or is it a
useful service?

I suppose it could be useful to people who haven't discovered Usenet or
Google Groups.

Err what people?

"Users browsing this forum: None"

Whatever, Maybe a complaint should be sent to the ISP, not quite sure
what the best grounds would be.

If people put a disclaimer that their postings are not to be used by
www.diyprojects.info, there would be grounds to stop them

Cheeky buggers

--
geoff

Phil Addison

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:12:06 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Andy Wade
writes
Phil Addison wrote:

What is the purpose diyprojects.info? As far as I can see it has no
original DIY material at all.

http://www.diyprojects.info/ - hmm, ISWYM.

Am I being uncharitable in thinking it is simply taking a feed from
here (i.e. on the actual uk.d-i-y Usenet Newsgroup) and rec.woodworking
in order to draw visitors who might click on their adverts, or is it a
useful service?

I suppose it could be useful to people who haven't discovered Usenet or
Google Groups.

Err what people?

"Users browsing this forum: None"

Whatever, Maybe a complaint should be sent to the ISP, not quite sure
what the best grounds would be.

If people put a disclaimer that their postings are not to be used by
www.diyprojects.info, there would be grounds to stop them

Cheeky buggers

That was my initial reaction, and still is, but then I thought 'what
about google?', google re-posts newsgroups and we like google. The
difference is that google gives a huge benefit in return by way of
archiving, indexing and searching.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
mike ring

raden wrote in :

Err what people?

"Users browsing this forum: None"

I'm a bit miffed - I was there, don't I count as people?

They are buggers, though, should certainly be stopped.

mike
Bob Eager

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:40:43 UTC, mike ring
wrote:

raden wrote in :

Err what people?

"Users browsing this forum: None"

I'm a bit miffed - I was there, don't I count as people?

They are buggers, though, should certainly be stopped.

Indeed...now, what is the best way?

--
The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by

Capitol

24hr helpdesk found that putting a major collection of foul language
into the replies caused the ISP to pull the plug. Not at all keen, but a
thought.

Regards
Capitol

Phil Addison

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:31:31 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Andy Wade
writes
Phil Addison wrote:

What is the purpose diyprojects.info? As far as I can see it has no
original DIY material at all.

http://www.diyprojects.info/ - hmm, ISWYM.

How about

"The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by
http://www.diyprojects.info"

Or drawing on the FAQ copyright, cover for other domains this outfit may
have, something like:
"© Copyright 2004. All parts of this Usenet posting are Copyright by the
author. It may not be sold in any medium, including electronic, CD-ROM,
or database, packaged with any commercial product, or published in print
or electronic form without the explicit written permission of the
author. The copyright of included material belongs to the original
author."

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me

© Copyright 2004.

All parts of this Usenet posting are Copyright by the author. It may not
be sold in any medium, including electronic, CD-ROM, or database,
packaged with any commercial product, or published in print or
electronic form without the explicit written permission of the author.
The copyright of included material belongs to the original author.
raden

In message , Phil Addison
writes

Phil Addison wrote:

What is the purpose diyprojects.info? As far as I can see it has no
original DIY material at all.

http://www.diyprojects.info/ - hmm, ISWYM.

How about

"The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by
http://www.diyprojects.info"

Or drawing on the FAQ copyright, cover for other domains this outfit may
have, something like:
"© Copyright 2004. All parts of this Usenet posting are Copyright by the
author. It may not be sold in any medium, including electronic, CD-ROM,
or database, packaged with any commercial product, or published in print
or electronic form without the explicit written permission of the
author. The copyright of included material belongs to the original
author."

But a specific disclaimer such as I've written means that they are in
direct contravention of the poster's wishes and there can be no "I
didn't see it" excuse

copy my disclaimer or come up with a better one, but let's stop this.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me

© Copyright 2004.

All parts of this Usenet posting are Copyright by the author. It may not
be sold in any medium, including electronic, CD-ROM, or database,
packaged with any commercial product, or published in print or
electronic form without the explicit written permission of the author.
The copyright of included material belongs to the original author.

The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by
http://www.diyprojects.info

--
geoff
Mark Spice

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Phil Addison
writes

Phil Addison wrote:

[...]

Just thought you might likr to know that all of this thread, including
Geoff's last one, has appeared on the forum. So it would appear that the
copyrights are being ignored.

Anyone for netcopping?

Cheers

Mark Spice

John Rumm

raden wrote:

But a specific disclaimer such as I've written means that they are in
direct contravention of the poster's wishes and there can be no "I
didn't see it" excuse

copy my disclaimer or come up with a better one, but let's stop this.

Would they not be able to argue however, that your post was already in
the public domain and hence they can not be held liable for simply
repeating it?

--
Cheers,

John.

Phil Addison

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:09:32 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Phil Addison
writes
[...]

Doh! I thought I did.

However, I've looked at http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
since I posted and it seems that you don't *have* to mark your stuff as
copyright at all for it still to be copyright, but it does help to put
the standard notice on it, namely "Copyright [dates] by [author/owner]".

Essentially everything you publish is automatically your copyright. The
big question is, what do you do if its violated? Answer is, sue 'em.
Problem is, you need to sue for some demonstratable amount of monetary
damages, and I think there is not much chance unless we all were to be
in the process of publishing it ourselves as say a book, and have now
lost the chance of selling m/any copies.

Don't know what, if any, difference the Digital Millennium Copyright Act
(USA) will make, nor what effect international jurisdiction has.
Definitely a case of IANAL.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me

Al Reynolds

"Phil Addison" wrote in message
What is the purpose diyprojects.info? As far as I can see it has no
original DIY material at all.

Am I being uncharitable in thinking it is simply taking a feed from
here (i.e. on the actual uk.d-i-y Usenet Newsgroup) and rec.woodworking
in order to draw visitors who might click on their adverts, or is it a
useful service? Is it OK to clone a newsgroup onto a website as a
'forum' like that? To give credit, they do say their forums are
'synchronized with Usenet'.

Who is it run by - the site seems anonymous?

seems to be a valid address.

Doesn't mean anyone is reading it of course.

Al

Al Reynolds

"Al Reynolds" wrote in message
"Phil Addison" wrote in message
What is the purpose diyprojects.info? As far as I can see it has no
original DIY material at all.

Am I being uncharitable in thinking it is simply taking a feed from
here (i.e. on the actual uk.d-i-y Usenet Newsgroup) and rec.woodworking
in order to draw visitors who might click on their adverts, or is it a
useful service? Is it OK to clone a newsgroup onto a website as a
'forum' like that? To give credit, they do say their forums are
'synchronized with Usenet'.

Who is it run by - the site seems anonymous?

seems to be a valid address.

My mail server hasn't been able to deliver to this address yet.
Al

G&M

"Phil Addison" wrote in message
What is the purpose diyprojects.info? As far as I can see it has no
original DIY material at all.

Am I being uncharitable in thinking it is simply taking a feed from
here

Nope

(i.e. on the actual uk.d-i-y Usenet Newsgroup) and rec.woodworking
in order to draw visitors who might click on their adverts,

Let's all send them a bill for use of our services :-)