DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What is the diyprojects.info forum for? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/73539-what-diyprojects-info-forum.html)

Phil Addison October 17th 04 01:45 PM

What is the diyprojects.info forum for?

What is the purpose diyprojects.info? As far as I can see it has no
original DIY material at all.

Am I being uncharitable in thinking it is simply taking a feed from
here (i.e. on the actual uk.d-i-y Usenet Newsgroup) and rec.woodworking
in order to draw visitors who might click on their adverts, or is it a
useful service? Is it OK to clone a newsgroup onto a website as a
'forum' like that? To give credit, they do say their forums are
'synchronized with Usenet'.

Who is it run by - the site seems anonymous?

To be fair, the ads are pretty innocuous, and probably useful for DIY
and Woodworking, I just wondered what this is all about and what people
here think about it.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me

Andy Wade October 17th 04 02:41 PM

http://www.diyprojects.info/ - hmm, ISWYM.

Am I being uncharitable in thinking it is simply taking a feed from
here (i.e. on the actual uk.d-i-y Usenet Newsgroup) and rec.woodworking
in order to draw visitors who might click on their adverts, or is it a
useful service?

I suppose it could be useful to people who haven't discovered Usenet or
Google Groups.

Is it OK to clone a newsgroup onto a website as a 'forum' like that?
To give credit, they do say their forums are 'synchronized with
Usenet'.

Good question. Dunno, but I'd be interested in what others think.

Who is it run by - the site seems anonymous?

A whois lookup reveals /inter alia/:

Domain ID:D295418-LRMS
Domain Name:DIYPROJECTS.INFO
Created On:13-Sep-2001 06:07:50 UTC
Last Updated On:13-Sep-2004 15:42:22 UTC
Expiration Date:13-Sep-2005 06:07:50 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:R139-LRMS
Status:ACTIVE
Status:OK
Registrant ID:C5755079-LRMS
Registrant Name:The Hostmaster
Registrant Organization:Web-S-Sense Pty. Ltd.
Registrant Street1:P.O. Box 110
Registrant City:Surrey Downs
Registrant State/Province:SA
Registrant Postal Code:5126
Registrant Country:AU
Registrant Phone:+61.0408827991
Registrant

To be fair, the ads are pretty innocuous, and probably useful for DIY
and Woodworking, I just wondered what this is all about and what people
here think about it.

"Ads by Google" seems to be the clue - click on it...

quote from
https://www.google.com/adsense/?sourceid=aso&subid=WW-ET-ADSBY2
" When you join the AdSense programme, you can:
* Make money when visitors click on ads associated with your site.
* Enhance your visitors' online experience with ads that are
relevant to what they see on your pages.
* Increase repeat visits by adding a Google search box to your site.
* Manage your account and track earnings online with easy-to-use tools.
* Get started fast and pay nothing to participate. Once approved,
you start serving ads in minutes.
/quote

So we do all the work and Web-S-Sense Pty. Ltd. rakes in the dosh.

--
Andy

Dave Liquorice October 17th 04 04:44 PM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 14:41:02 +0100, Andy Wade wrote:

What is the purpose diyprojects.info? As far as I can see it has no
original DIY material at all.

http://www.diyprojects.info/ - hmm, ISWYM.

Just another slow an clunky interface for those who haven't found a
proper newsreader yet?

So we do all the work and Web-S-Sense Pty. Ltd. rakes in the dosh.

Only if people click on the ads...

Now I wonder how clever its quote detection is?

a Quote

or not

is this

or that

- quote?

DL Is this?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

raden October 17th 04 07:12 PM

In message , Andy Wade
writes
Phil Addison wrote:

What is the purpose diyprojects.info? As far as I can see it has no
original DIY material at all.

http://www.diyprojects.info/ - hmm, ISWYM.

Am I being uncharitable in thinking it is simply taking a feed from
here (i.e. on the actual uk.d-i-y Usenet Newsgroup) and rec.woodworking
in order to draw visitors who might click on their adverts, or is it a
useful service?

I suppose it could be useful to people who haven't discovered Usenet or
Google Groups.

Err what people?

"Users browsing this forum: None"

Whatever, Maybe a complaint should be sent to the ISP, not quite sure
what the best grounds would be.

If people put a disclaimer that their postings are not to be used by
www.diyprojects.info, there would be grounds to stop them

Cheeky buggers

--
geoff

raden October 17th 04 07:31 PM

In message , Andy Wade
writes
Phil Addison wrote:

What is the purpose diyprojects.info? As far as I can see it has no
original DIY material at all.

http://www.diyprojects.info/ - hmm, ISWYM.

How about

"The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by
http://www.diyprojects.info"

--
geoff

Phil Addison October 17th 04 07:42 PM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:12:06 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Andy Wade
writes
Phil Addison wrote:

What is the purpose diyprojects.info? As far as I can see it has no
original DIY material at all.

http://www.diyprojects.info/ - hmm, ISWYM.

Am I being uncharitable in thinking it is simply taking a feed from
here (i.e. on the actual uk.d-i-y Usenet Newsgroup) and rec.woodworking
in order to draw visitors who might click on their adverts, or is it a
useful service?

I suppose it could be useful to people who haven't discovered Usenet or
Google Groups.

Err what people?

"Users browsing this forum: None"

Whatever, Maybe a complaint should be sent to the ISP, not quite sure
what the best grounds would be.

If people put a disclaimer that their postings are not to be used by
www.diyprojects.info, there would be grounds to stop them

Cheeky buggers

That was my initial reaction, and still is, but then I thought 'what
about google?', google re-posts newsgroups and we like google. The
difference is that google gives a huge benefit in return by way of
archiving, indexing and searching.

Phil Addison October 17th 04 07:52 PM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:31:31 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Andy Wade
writes
Phil Addison wrote:

What is the purpose diyprojects.info? As far as I can see it has no
original DIY material at all.

http://www.diyprojects.info/ - hmm, ISWYM.

How about

"The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by
http://www.diyprojects.info"

Or drawing on the FAQ copyright, cover for other domains this outfit may
have, something like:
"© Copyright 2004. All parts of this Usenet posting are Copyright by the
author. It may not be sold in any medium, including electronic, CD-ROM,
or database, packaged with any commercial product, or published in print
or electronic form without the explicit written permission of the
author. The copyright of included material belongs to the original
author."

raden October 17th 04 09:09 PM

In message , Phil Addison
writes

Phil Addison wrote:

What is the purpose diyprojects.info? As far as I can see it has no
original DIY material at all.

http://www.diyprojects.info/ - hmm, ISWYM.

How about

"The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by
http://www.diyprojects.info"

Or drawing on the FAQ copyright, cover for other domains this outfit may
have, something like:
"© Copyright 2004. All parts of this Usenet posting are Copyright by the
author. It may not be sold in any medium, including electronic, CD-ROM,
or database, packaged with any commercial product, or published in print
or electronic form without the explicit written permission of the
author. The copyright of included material belongs to the original
author."

But a specific disclaimer such as I've written means that they are in
direct contravention of the poster's wishes and there can be no "I
didn't see it" excuse

copy my disclaimer or come up with a better one, but let's stop this.

Mark Spice October 17th 04 10:26 PM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Phil Addison
writes

Phil Addison wrote:

[...]

Just thought you might likr to know that all of this thread, including
Geoff's last one, has appeared on the forum. So it would appear that the
copyrights are being ignored.

Anyone for netcopping?

Cheers

Mark Spice

Richard October 17th 04 10:35 PM

Mark Spice wrote:

Just thought you might likr to know that all of this thread, including
Geoff's last one, has appeared on the forum. So it would appear that the
copyrights are being ignored.

Anyone for netcopping?

Cheers

Mark Spice

Am I right in thinking that only sequential replies are copied onto DIY
wotsit? My reply to Hugo's thread about Poterton hasn't been copied
(yet?)

Richard

--
Real email address is RJS at BIGFOOT dot COM

mike ring October 17th 04 10:40 PM

raden wrote in :

Err what people?

"Users browsing this forum: None"

I'm a bit miffed - I was there, don't I count as people?

They are buggers, though, should certainly be stopped.

mike

Bob Eager October 17th 04 10:56 PM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:40:43 UTC, mike ring
wrote:

raden wrote in :

Err what people?

"Users browsing this forum: None"

I'm a bit miffed - I was there, don't I count as people?

They are buggers, though, should certainly be stopped.

Indeed...now, what is the best way?

Capitol October 17th 04 11:14 PM

24hr helpdesk found that putting a major collection of foul language
into the replies caused the ISP to pull the plug. Not at all keen, but a
thought.

Regards
Capitol

Phil Addison October 17th 04 11:26 PM

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 00:12:39 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

raden wrote:

But a specific disclaimer such as I've written means that they are in
direct contravention of the poster's wishes and there can be no "I
didn't see it" excuse

copy my disclaimer or come up with a better one, but let's stop this.

Would they not be able to argue however, that your post was already in
the public domain and hence they can not be held liable for simply
repeating it?

Nope - see Myth number 3 of "10 Big Myths about copyright explained"
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Phil Addison October 17th 04 11:39 PM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:09:32 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Phil Addison
writes
[...]

Doh! I thought I did.

However, I've looked at http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
since I posted and it seems that you don't *have* to mark your stuff as
copyright at all for it still to be copyright, but it does help to put
the standard notice on it, namely "Copyright [dates] by [author/owner]".

Essentially everything you publish is automatically your copyright. The
big question is, what do you do if its violated? Answer is, sue 'em.
Problem is, you need to sue for some demonstratable amount of monetary
damages, and I think there is not much chance unless we all were to be
in the process of publishing it ourselves as say a book, and have now
lost the chance of selling m/any copies.

Don't know what, if any, difference the Digital Millennium Copyright Act
(USA) will make, nor what effect international jurisdiction has.
Definitely a case of IANAL.

Grunff October 17th 04 11:56 PM

Phil Addison wrote:

Essentially everything you publish is automatically your copyright. The
big question is, what do you do if its violated? Answer is, sue 'em.
Problem is, you need to sue for some demonstratable amount of monetary
damages, and I think there is not much chance unless we all were to be
in the process of publishing it ourselves as say a book, and have now
lost the chance of selling m/any copies.

Don't know what, if any, difference the Digital Millennium Copyright Act
(USA) will make, nor what effect international jurisdiction has.
Definitely a case of IANAL.

I think a key argument would be that fact that (as already mentioned)
Google (and before it Deja) does the same thing.

I have to say, while I think it's a little cheeky, I'm not really
bothered by it at all. They aren't going to make their fortune selling
Adwords on that site. If it becomes more successful, it's likely to cost
them more in hosting than it will make them anyway. So who cares?

--
Grunff

IMM October 18th 04 12:57 AM

"Mark Spice" wrote in message

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Phil Addison
writes

Phil Addison wrote:

[...]

If you post on the web site, does it appear here? It appears they have some
software that automatically sends the post from here to the web site.

John Rumm October 18th 04 01:02 AM

Phil Addison wrote:

Would they not be able to argue however, that your post was already in
the public domain and hence they can not be held liable for simply
repeating it?

Nope - see Myth number 3 of "10 Big Myths about copyright explained"
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

I assume the same applies in UK & Aus law?

What about the "you don't seem to mind google archiving it" angle?

I expect if people object to their posts being reproduced, the first
thing to do would be to request the site maintainers delete exisiting
posts and then not archive new ones.

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Liquorice October 18th 04 01:04 AM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:44:50 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

Now I wonder how clever its quote detection is?

a Quote

or not

is this

or that

All those it sees as a single quote.

- quote?

DL Is this?

Those aren't quotes according to the site, time to change my quote
prefix. B-)

Got 9 "members" wow...

Oh and with google you have the option of using the X-No-Archive
header or tag in the posting body.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Andy Wade October 18th 04 01:11 AM

John Rumm wrote:

I expect if people object to their posts being reproduced, the first
thing to do would be to request the site maintainers delete exisiting
posts and then not archive new ones.

I wonder if it respects the X-no-archive "yes" header.

--
Andy

mike ring October 18th 04 06:56 PM

"IMM" wrote in :

If you post on the web site, does it appear here? It appears they
have some software that automatically sends the post from here to the
web site.

From my quick visit, it seems that posting is not allowed - it implies it
is, but all the threads have closed symbols

mike

mike ring October 18th 04 06:57 PM

Andy Wade wrote in news:417309b7$0$22765
:

I wonder if it respects the X-no-archive "yes" header.

I'm sure *I* would if I knew what it was

mike

IMM October 18th 04 07:54 PM

"mike ring" wrote in message
52.50...
"IMM" wrote in :

If you post on the web site, does it appear here? It appears they
have some software that automatically sends the post from here to the
web site.

From my quick visit, it seems that posting is not allowed - it implies it
is, but all the threads have closed symbols

mike

So it's not a Google type of site.

mike ring October 18th 04 10:41 PM

"IMM" wrote in :

From my quick visit, it seems that posting is not allowed - it
implies it is, but all the threads have closed symbols

mike

So it's not a Google type of site.

I'm afraid I'm not at all up on this

sniff failed again

mike

raden October 18th 04 11:01 PM

In message , Mark Spice
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Phil Addison
writes

Phil Addison wrote:

[...]

Yup. Who's hosting the website?

I know it was posted yesterday, but I expired a load of N/g stuff
earlier this evening

raden October 18th 04 11:05 PM

In message , Phil Addison
writes
[...]

Does whoever hosts the site have a policy on this ?

--
geoff

Phil Addison October 19th 04 12:19 AM

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:01:38 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Mark Spice
writes

Just thought you might likr to know that all of this thread, including
Geoff's last one, has appeared on the forum. So it would appear that the
copyrights are being ignored.

Anyone for netcopping?

Yup. Who's hosting the website?

I know it was posted yesterday, but I expired a load of N/g stuff
earlier this evening

This is what Andy Wade
posted on Sun, 17 Oct 2004 14:41:02 +0100

/Quote/
A whois lookup reveals /inter alia/:

Domain ID:D295418-LRMS
Domain Name:DIYPROJECTS.INFO
Created On:13-Sep-2001 06:07:50 UTC
Last Updated On:13-Sep-2004 15:42:22 UTC
Expiration Date:13-Sep-2005 06:07:50 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:R139-LRMS
Status:ACTIVE
Status:OK
Registrant ID:C5755079-LRMS
Registrant Name:The Hostmaster
Registrant Organization:Web-S-Sense Pty. Ltd.
Registrant Street1:P.O. Box 110
Registrant City:Surrey Downs
Registrant State/Province:SA
Registrant Postal Code:5126
Registrant Country:AU
Registrant Phone:+61.0408827991
Registrant
/End Quote/

Phil Addison October 19th 04 12:20 AM

X-no-archive "yes"

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 01:11:29 +0100, Andy Wade
wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

I expect if people object to their posts being reproduced, the first
thing to do would be to request the site maintainers delete exisiting
posts and then not archive new ones.

I wonder if it respects the X-no-archive "yes" header.

Not if this one gets through.

Andy Wade October 19th 04 12:21 AM

http://explanation-guide.info/meaning/X-No-Archive.html
--
Andy

raden October 19th 04 12:52 AM

In message , Phil Addison
writes
[...]

That's the one , cheers

Andrew Gabriel October 19th 04 12:56 AM

In article 0,
mike ring writes:
"IMM" wrote in :

If you post on the web site, does it appear here? It appears they
have some software that automatically sends the post from here to the
web site.

From my quick visit, it seems that posting is not allowed - it implies it
is, but all the threads have closed symbols

It is somehow -- look for the broken postings from:
lid (Gayton)
which include: User-Agent: newsSync (DIYprojects.info)
Unfortunately, newsSync (at least as configured on
DIYprojects.info) is generating broken articles.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

raden October 19th 04 01:11 AM

In message , raden
writes
In message , Phil Addison
writes
[...]

So who hosts the site?

Web-S_Sense I presume are the owners

Phil Addison October 19th 04 01:38 AM

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 00:11:25 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , raden
writes
In message , Phil Addison
writes
[...]

Have a look at http://www.web-s-sense.com/
"What we do: Our primary area of expertise is developing and promoting
technology portals, and placing highly targeted advertisement to reach
large audiences of computer professionals."

The host, according to SamSpade, is theplanet.com, and you want

SamSpade:
dns
www.diyprojects.info
Canonical name: www.diyprojects.info
Addresses: 69.93.160.210

IP block 69.93.160.210
Trying 69.93.160.210 at ARIN
Trying 69.93.160 at ARIN

OrgName: ThePlanet.com Internet Services, Inc.
OrgID: TPCM
Address: 1333 North Stemmons Freeway
Address: Suite 110
City: Dallas
StateProv: TX
PostalCode: 75207
Country: US

ReferralServer: rwhois://rwhois.theplanet.com:4321

NetRange: 69.93.0.0 - 69.93.255.255
CIDR: 69.93.0.0/16
NetName: NETBLK-THEPLANET-BLK-9
NetHandle: NET-69-93-0-0-1
Parent: NET-69-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Allocation
NameServer: NS1.THEPLANET.COM
NameServer: NS2.THEPLANET.COM
Comment:
RegDate: 2003-11-19
Updated: 2004-03-15

TechHandle: PP46-ARIN
TechName: Pathos, Peter
TechPhone: +1-214-782-7800
TechEmail:

OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE271-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: Abuse
OrgAbusePhone: +1-214-782-7802
OrgAbuseEmail:

OrgNOCHandle: TECHN33-ARIN
OrgNOCName: Technical Support
OrgNOCPhone: +1-214-782-7800
OrgNOCEmail:

OrgTechHandle: TECHN33-ARIN
OrgTechName: Technical Support
OrgTechPhone: +1-214-782-7800
OrgTechEmail:

Al Reynolds October 19th 04 09:15 AM

"Grunff" wrote in message
Phil Addison wrote:

[...]

The problem will be when people start using the site
to post messages - then broken news messages start
appearing on here.

Al

Al Reynolds October 19th 04 09:26 AM

"Phil Addison" wrote in message
What is the purpose diyprojects.info? As far as I can see it has no
original DIY material at all.

Am I being uncharitable in thinking it is simply taking a feed from
here (i.e. on the actual uk.d-i-y Usenet Newsgroup) and rec.woodworking
in order to draw visitors who might click on their adverts, or is it a
useful service? Is it OK to clone a newsgroup onto a website as a
'forum' like that? To give credit, they do say their forums are
'synchronized with Usenet'.

Who is it run by - the site seems anonymous?

seems to be a valid address.

Doesn't mean anyone is reading it of course.

Al

John Armstrong October 19th 04 01:28 PM

On 18 Oct 2004 23:56:37 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article 0,
mike ring writes:
"IMM" wrote in :

If you post on the web site, does it appear here? It appears they
have some software that automatically sends the post from here to the
web site.

From my quick visit, it seems that posting is not allowed - it implies it
is, but all the threads have closed symbols

It is somehow -- look for the broken postings from:
lid (Gayton)
which include: User-Agent: newsSync (DIYprojects.info)
Unfortunately, newsSync (at least as configured on
DIYprojects.info) is generating broken articles.

There is a register link at the top of the page, which presumably lets you
post.
There is also a memberlist link at the bottom, which shows there massive
memberlist of 11 members (including Gayton). Only 4 of these members have
actually posted anything.

mike ring October 19th 04 07:05 PM

John Armstrong wrote in
:

There is a register link at the top of the page, which presumably lets
you post.

I saw that, but you can go first!

mike

mike ring October 19th 04 07:15 PM

Andy Wade wrote in news:41744f8f$0$22747
:

mike ring wrote:

I wonder if it respects the X-no-archive "yes" header.

I'm sure *I* would if I knew what it was

http://explanation-guide.info/meaning/X-No-Archive.html

Ta, (nice site too, but HTF would you know to look there?)

mike

raden October 19th 04 10:38 PM

In message , Huge
writes
Grunff writes:
Phil Addison wrote:

Essentially everything you publish is automatically your copyright. The
big question is, what do you do if its violated? Answer is, sue 'em.
Problem is, you need to sue for some demonstratable amount of monetary
damages, and I think there is not much chance unless we all were to be
in the process of publishing it ourselves as say a book, and have now
lost the chance of selling m/any copies.

Don't know what, if any, difference the Digital Millennium Copyright Act
(USA) will make, nor what effect international jurisdiction has.
Definitely a case of IANAL.

I think a key argument would be that fact that (as already mentioned)
Google (and before it Deja) does the same thing.

And if you write to them, specifically denying them the right, they can
and will remove your material.

I personally have no problem with search engines archiving my or anyone
else's articles.

I don't see diyprojects as being in the same game