DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Header tank ball valves: metal or plastic? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/7213-header-tank-ball-valves-metal-plastic.html)

OldScrawn March 21st 04 09:14 PM

Header tank ball valves: metal or plastic?

Over the weekend I've had my shower header tank run dry a couple of times.
Mains pressure seems a bit low this weekend, but the ball valve is looking
tired and is an easy thing to change before I look further afield. Does anyone
know which type might give better flow, metal or plastic? I suppose I could go
up to a 3/4 inch.

IMM March 21st 04 09:20 PM

"OldScrawn" wrote in message
Over the weekend I've had my shower header tank run dry a couple of times.
Mains pressure seems a bit low this weekend, but the ball valve is looking
tired and is an easy thing to change before I look further afield. Does

anyone
know which type might give better flow, metal or plastic? I suppose I

could go
up to a 3/4 inch.

Brass valves tend to be more reliable. 3/4" ones are cheap enough and fill
up fast.

Andy Hall March 21st 04 09:28 PM

On 21 Mar 2004 21:14:23 GMT, (OldScrawn) wrote:

Over the weekend I've had my shower header tank run dry a couple of times.
Mains pressure seems a bit low this weekend, but the ball valve is looking
tired and is an easy thing to change before I look further afield. Does anyone
know which type might give better flow, metal or plastic? I suppose I could go
up to a 3/4 inch.

I use two Torbeck valves. These are plastic and give pretty good
flow anyway, but even more with the pair. They are also extremely
quiet.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

John Rumm March 21st 04 11:21 PM

OldScrawn wrote:

Over the weekend I've had my shower header tank run dry a couple of times.
Mains pressure seems a bit low this weekend, but the ball valve is looking
tired and is an easy thing to change before I look further afield. Does anyone
know which type might give better flow, metal or plastic? I suppose I could go
up to a 3/4 inch.

The Fluidmaster ones (plastic) also seem quick and quiet.

--
Cheers,

John.

OldScrawn March 22nd 04 10:51 PM

Header tank ball valves: metal or plastic?

Thanks all. May go for brass 3/4 inch as the local farm shop has them for
animal troughs and noise isn't really an issue. I hadn't thought of doubling
up. Obvious once it is suggested!