Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Max Christian

Default Live-ish light switches

Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone who writes here. I've been doing
my first (and last) renovation over the last three years and the
advice here has been invaluable even though I've hardly had to post
myself.

I wonder if anyone can work out what's going on he

I've just replaced plastic light switches with ones that have metal
faceplates, and I *just* can feel electricity when I brush my fingers
against them lightly. I'm certain it's not static -- I can feel the
50hz cycle.

It only happens on one lighting circuit; on other circuits with the
same new switches you can't feel anything.

Does this mean that the earth on that circuit isn't connected? Or
that it is connected and there's electricity flowing continuously to
earth due to a fault, a little of which diverts through me when I
touch the switches? Should I ignore it or try to fix? (The case of
my new laptop feels the same sometimes and the user's manual says it's
normal.)

Any advice appreciated as always.

colour coding for 2 way light switches Broadback UK diy 7 March 25th 04 11:03 PM
add a light in bedrooms tweety Home Repair 17 March 11th 04 11:22 AM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
Changing a light bulb jay UK diy 11 October 18th 03 08:28 PM
Wiring a 3 way light switch. Mike Hibbert UK diy 8 October 3rd 03 06:51 PM