mrcheerful

"mike. buckley" wrote in message
k...
In message , Max
Christian writes
Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone who writes here. I've been doing
my first (and last) renovation over the last three years and the
advice here has been invaluable even though I've hardly had to post
myself.

I wonder if anyone can work out what's going on he

I've just replaced plastic light switches with ones that have metal
faceplates, and I *just* can feel electricity when I brush my fingers
against them lightly. I'm certain it's not static -- I can feel the
50hz cycle.

It only happens on one lighting circuit; on other circuits with the
same new switches you can't feel anything.

Does this mean that the earth on that circuit isn't connected? Or
that it is connected and there's electricity flowing continuously to
earth due to a fault, a little of which diverts through me when I
touch the switches? Should I ignore it or try to fix? (The case of
my new laptop feels the same sometimes and the user's manual says it's
normal.)

Any advice appreciated as always.

Hmm, I'd wondered about posting a similar question, I've also replaced
some plastic face plates with metal ones and wondered what to do with the
earth cable - as it's currently connected to the original *plastic* back
plate. I can't feel any electricity, so I've left it as is now, should I
move the earth to the face plate - or will it make no difference as it's
only bolted to plastic anyway?

The face plate should be earthed, the connector in the box is there to let
you have an easy way to earth the face plate with a short bit of wire.