Lee Blaver

Default What screws and washers to use with WHB and toilet

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

Should I use a plastic washer - if so where do I get it as there don't seem
to be any in the sheds.

Wickes do a 6*70mm brass screw complete with plastic washer and cap for
this purpose.
Their part number W 515-516 , but only cos I've got a packet in front of
me :-)

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and NTL world com

Reteplav

I am about to screw a WHB to the wall.

Books says "drill and plug" - fine, but is it O.K. to use normal steel
woodscrews directly onto porcelain?

I used a Zinc Plated 12 gauge screw and a rubber tap washer .
A brass screw is usually better though.
BillR

David W.E. Roberts wrote:
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

snip
So it looks as though I should be using nylon washers on the WHB
also.

Should I use brass screws for inside the cistern and for fixing the
WHB, or is steel O.K.?

[Would cut the thread first with steel screw if using brass]

Cheers
Dave R
--

Thanks guys - I took the lateral thinking (or b*ggerit) approach and
bought a 50p clear plastic food box.

I reckon I can cut my own washers from this.

Crazy, though. Everyone has heard of the washers but nobody stocks
them (apart from Wickes :-) ).

I usually use large plain old rubber tap washers for this and for the same
place on toilet cisterns.
Doing it with the metal screw head straight onto the ceramic has a high risk
of cracking.

David W.E. Roberts

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

snip
So it looks as though I should be using nylon washers on the WHB also.

snip

Look...I warned you not to ask what kind of day I'd had......

There are bad days and worse days.

Just checked the WHB and the screws are not straight into the wall but angle
up by about 30 degrees!

I now have to find a drill long enough that I can drill at least a pilot
hole with the WHB in position without hitting the WHB with the drill.

This is not a one-person operation!

I am still a bit doubtful about the strength of the whole setup - the screws
holes are right at the bottom of the WHB - though there is a pedestal with
it so hopefully the two combined will hold the damn thing up.

Grumple....