DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Garage door opener query (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/702-garage-door-opener-query.html)

Andrew McKay July 29th 03 08:12 AM

Garage door opener query

Readers who stayed awake will be aware that I successfully fitted a
Chamberlain garage door opener last week. All working fine, very
pleased with the result.

I wondered whether anyone has any suggestions with regard to the noise
the thing generates as it is opening/closing the door? I'm sure there
is no problem with gearing etc. But I suspect the garage door is being
used as a sound board and amplifying the minor vibrations that must
take place as the door moves.

Not outrageously noisy, but if I opened the door at 2am I'd probably
wince a little in case I was waking a neighbour up.... ;)

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

Alex July 29th 03 01:35 PM

Garage door opener query

There is a vibration reducing fixing kit available,threaded bolt each end
wirh a rubber bush in the middle.You should have purchased a henderson duo
much better technology no moving chain and a real smart remote.

July 29th 03 02:45 PM

Garage door opener query

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message
Readers who stayed awake will be aware that I successfully fitted a
Chamberlain garage door opener last week. All working fine, very
pleased with the result.

I wondered whether anyone has any suggestions with regard to the noise
the thing generates as it is opening/closing the door? I'm sure there
is no problem with gearing etc. But I suspect the garage door is being
used as a sound board and amplifying the minor vibrations that must
take place as the door moves.

I recently gained an electric garage door with a recent purchase. Like many
other things in the house, the noise was greatly reduced by generous
lubrication of all moving parts.

Colin Bignell

BillR July 29th 03 03:11 PM

Garage door opener query

Andrew McKay wrote:
Readers who stayed awake will be aware that I successfully fitted a
Chamberlain garage door opener last week. All working fine, very
pleased with the result.

I wondered whether anyone has any suggestions with regard to the noise
the thing generates as it is opening/closing the door? I'm sure there
is no problem with gearing etc. But I suspect the garage door is being
used as a sound board and amplifying the minor vibrations that must
take place as the door moves.

Not outrageously noisy, but if I opened the door at 2am I'd probably
wince a little in case I was waking a neighbour up.... ;)

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

I found a lot of noise from mine was due to various loose things.
1. the door frame was moving a bit - fixed that with filler foam.
2. Metal bits of door were rattling - fixed those with silicone sealant on
the inside.
Mine is nearer next door's bedroom than mine and they say its now much
better and preferable to someone getting in/out of car esp. late at night to
open door