Andrew McKay

Default Garage door opener query

Readers who stayed awake will be aware that I successfully fitted a
Chamberlain garage door opener last week. All working fine, very
pleased with the result.

I wondered whether anyone has any suggestions with regard to the noise
the thing generates as it is opening/closing the door? I'm sure there
is no problem with gearing etc. But I suspect the garage door is being
used as a sound board and amplifying the minor vibrations that must
take place as the door moves.

Not outrageously noisy, but if I opened the door at 2am I'd probably
wince a little in case I was waking a neighbour up....

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk
Alex

There is a vibration reducing fixing kit available,threaded bolt each end
wirh a rubber bush in the middle.You should have purchased a henderson duo
much better technology no moving chain and a real smart remote.

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message
Readers who stayed awake will be aware that I successfully fitted a
Chamberlain garage door opener last week. All working fine, very
pleased with the result.

I wondered whether anyone has any suggestions with regard to the noise
the thing generates as it is opening/closing the door? I'm sure there
is no problem with gearing etc. But I suspect the garage door is being
used as a sound board and amplifying the minor vibrations that must
take place as the door moves.

I recently gained an electric garage door with a recent purchase. Like many
other things in the house, the noise was greatly reduced by generous
lubrication of all moving parts.

Colin Bignell

BillR

Andrew McKay wrote:
Readers who stayed awake will be aware that I successfully fitted a
Chamberlain garage door opener last week. All working fine, very
pleased with the result.

I wondered whether anyone has any suggestions with regard to the noise
the thing generates as it is opening/closing the door? I'm sure there
is no problem with gearing etc. But I suspect the garage door is being
used as a sound board and amplifying the minor vibrations that must
take place as the door moves.

Not outrageously noisy, but if I opened the door at 2am I'd probably
wince a little in case I was waking a neighbour up....

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

I found a lot of noise from mine was due to various loose things.
1. the door frame was moving a bit - fixed that with filler foam.
2. Metal bits of door were rattling - fixed those with silicone sealant on
the inside.
Mine is nearer next door's bedroom than mine and they say its now much
better and preferable to someone getting in/out of car esp. late at night to
open door

Installing power sockets and light into an adjacent garage Andy Hide UK diy 0 July 21st 03 10:00 AM
Heating a Garage Andrew McKay UK diy 13 July 18th 03 05:33 AM
Painting the garage floor Andrew McKay UK diy 4 July 17th 03 07:49 PM
Building a garage above public sewer (UK) Capitol UK diy 3 July 15th 03 11:43 PM
Old garage needs a clean Davide UK diy 5 July 8th 03 07:50 PM