DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT: Lithium ion battery developments (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/686848-ot-lithium-ion-battery-developments.html)

Theo[_3_] May 25th 21 05:52 PM

OT: Lithium ion battery developments

I came across this article:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...der-your-nose/

It's a good roundup of all the different lithium ion chemistries and how
things have been improving of late, and how that impacts applications such
as phones and EVs.

Theo

newshound May 25th 21 09:22 PM

OT: Lithium ion battery developments

On 25/05/2021 19:56, Chris Hogg wrote:
On 25 May 2021 17:52:19 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:

I came across this article:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...der-your-nose/

It's a good roundup of all the different lithium ion chemistries and how
things have been improving of late, and how that impacts applications such
as phones and EVs.

Theo

" That means that the capacity of your current batteries is over 1.5
times what they would have held a decade ago."

Am I supposed to be impressed?

Not exactly Moore's Law, is it. Of course it is still worth having. In
the absence of real physics/material breakthroughs (like, for example, a
single layer atomic structure like graphene, but an insulator) it's
getting close to physical limits, although cost will continue to come down.

The performance improvement in phones and the like will come from lower
consumption chips. I don't see the same applying to EV motors.

John Rumm May 26th 21 10:14 AM

wrote:

I came across this article:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...der-your-nose/

It's a good roundup of all the different lithium ion chemistries and how
things have been improving of late, and how that impacts applications
such
as phones and EVs.

Theo

" That means that the capacity of your current batteries is over 1.5
times what they would have held a decade ago."

Am I supposed to be impressed?

Not exactly Moore's Law, is it. Of course it is still worth having. In
the absence of real physics/material breakthroughs (like, for example, a
single layer atomic structure like graphene, but an insulator) it's
getting close to physical limits, although cost will continue to come down.

Funny you should mention that, but:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...an-lithium-ion

--
Cheers,

John.

Pancho May 26th 21 10:33 AM

On 26/05/2021 10:14, John Rumm wrote:

Funny you should mention that, but:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...an-lithium-ion

Yep, that was a very interesting story. More interesting than nuclear
fusion stories.

I dunno how much is hype, but if not it could be significant. With
massively quicker charge times it might be possible to reduce battery
capacity too. Maybe charge at traffic lights etc, with smart infrastructure.

Plus I hardly every drive more than 50 miles in one go.

Theo[_3_] May 26th 21 11:06 AM

Chris Hogg wrote:
" That means that the capacity of your current batteries is over 1.5
times what they would have held a decade ago."

Am I supposed to be impressed?

If you don't compare it to computers, it's not so bad. Think of other
fields: are there washing machines that improved their water use by 50%? Are
there planes that got 50% more fuel efficiency?

It is after all a chemistry problem, and you don't make 10x improvements in
those overnight.

As mentioned, an EV going from 200 miles range to 300 miles range is
definitely worth having, and could be the tipping point for some people.

Theo

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 26th 21 01:12 PM

On 25/05/2021 17:52, Theo wrote:
I came across this article:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...der-your-nose/

It's a good roundup of all the different lithium ion chemistries and how
things have been improving of late, and how that impacts applications such
as phones and EVs.

Theo

It's a good roundup of *some* of the different lithium ion chemistries
and how things haven't *really* been improving at all, and how that
impacts applications such as phones and EVs.

--
€śA leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
€śWe did this ourselves.€ť

ۥ Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 26th 21 01:15 PM

wrote:

I came across this article:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...der-your-nose/

It's a good roundup of all the different lithium ion chemistries and how
things have been improving of late, and how that impacts applications such
as phones and EVs.

Theo

" That means that the capacity of your current batteries is over 1.5
times what they would have held a decade ago."

Am I supposed to be impressed?

My reactions exactly

As I say, back in the noughties my first lithium flight packs were
lighter than any on sale today. But they couldn't do very high currents
Today cells with 2-3 times the *power* density, are available - but the
energy density is actually less...

"Saki"

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 26th 21 01:20 PM

OT: Lithium ion battery developments

On 25/05/2021 21:22, newshound wrote:
The performance improvement in phones and the like will come from lower
consumption chips. I don't see the same applying to EV motors.

Again one is pushing at the limits: even in chop terms flops per watt is
running into barriers. The best way forward is probably 'low power
*algorithms* - software written to minimise CPU usage.

As far as cars go it isn't going to get much better without different
battery *technology*.

We have seen what EVs could be with a battery that doesn't yet exist.
And wont. What we need is a complete re-evaluation in the way we do
things, like whether or not private transport is allowed to continue.
Greens will be batting for that. Only Party Zils in special lanes
allowed for the virtuous

"Saki"

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 26th 21 01:21 PM

On 26/05/2021 10:33, Pancho wrote:
On 26/05/2021 10:14, John Rumm wrote:

Funny you should mention that, but:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...an-lithium-ion

Yep, that was a very interesting story. More interesting than nuclear
fusion stories.

I dunno how much is hype, but if not it could be significant. With
massively quicker charge times it might be possible to reduce battery
capacity too. Maybe charge at traffic lights etc, with smart
infrastructure.

Plus I hardly every drive more than 50 miles in one go.

Airliners hardly ever experience more than 1.5G loading.
Do you want to fly in one that *can't* experience more than 1.5G loading
without the wings folding?

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

GB May 26th 21 01:30 PM

OT: Lithium ion battery developments

On 26/05/2021 10:33, Pancho wrote:
On 26/05/2021 10:14, John Rumm wrote:

Funny you should mention that, but:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...an-lithium-ion

Yep, that was a very interesting story. More interesting than nuclear
fusion stories.

I dunno how much is hype, but if not it could be significant. With
massively quicker charge times it might be possible to reduce battery
capacity too. Maybe charge at traffic lights etc, with smart
infrastructure.

Plus I hardly every drive more than 50 miles in one go.

Airliners hardly ever experience more than 1.5G loading.
Do you want to fly in one that *can't* experience more than 1.5G loading
without the wings folding?

A better example: There's no point having an airliner that can perform
aerobatics safely, as that is not what it is used for.

Besides that, the only real need for a car that can do more than 50
miles is to attend a funeral the other side of Ireland at incredibly
short notice. ;)

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 26th 21 01:53 PM

On 26/05/2021 13:30, GB wrote:
On 26/05/2021 10:33, Pancho wrote:
On 26/05/2021 10:14, John Rumm wrote:

Funny you should mention that, but:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...an-lithium-ion

Yep, that was a very interesting story. More interesting than
nuclear fusion stories.

I dunno how much is hype, but if not it could be significant.
With massively quicker charge times it might be possible to
reduce battery capacity too. Maybe charge at traffic lights etc,
with smart infrastructure.

Plus I hardly every drive more than 50 miles in one go.

Airliners hardly ever experience more than 1.5G loading. Do you
want to fly in one that *can't* experience more than 1.5G loading
without the wings folding?

A better example: There's no point having an airliner that can
perform aerobatics safely, as that is not what it is used for.

A considerably worse example.

Airliners in severe turbulence can and have been stressed right up to 5G
limits. And survived, not without injury or damage however

Their passengers are still here

A barrel roll is an aerobatic manoeuvre that most airliners can execute
safely as it is low positive G stress. MUCH lower than turbulence

We don't build technology for the average, we build it for the worst case.

Besides that, the only real need for a car that can do more than 50
miles is to attend a funeral the other side of Ireland at incredibly
short notice. ;)

Or to drive to see a relative who needs looking after who has broken
their leg 200 miles away

NHS: "the patient died because all our ambulances were on charge after a
major RTA had flattened their batteries, and a study by an ArtStudent„˘
showed that their average daily usage was less than 200 miles, so that's
all the batteries they have".

National Grid: "The country experienced a complete blackout because the
wind wasn't blowing anywhere, and it was overcast with a solar eclipse,
despite the fact that *on average* it should have been OK, an
ArtStudent„˘ said so"

Fukushima Director: "We were only going to build a sea wall 2m high
because an ArtStudent„˘ said that is the *average* height of waves".

Are you an ArtStudent„˘, GB?

private property.

Karl Marx

Pancho May 26th 21 03:09 PM

OT: Lithium ion battery developments

On 26/05/2021 10:33, Pancho wrote:
On 26/05/2021 10:14, John Rumm wrote:

Funny you should mention that, but:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...an-lithium-ion

Yep, that was a very interesting story. More interesting than nuclear
fusion stories.

I dunno how much is hype, but if not it could be significant. With
massively quicker charge times it might be possible to reduce battery
capacity too. Maybe charge at traffic lights etc, with smart
infrastructure.

Plus I hardly every drive more than 50 miles in one go.

Airliners hardly ever experience more than 1.5G loading.
Do you want to fly in one that *can't* experience more than 1.5G loading
without the wings folding?

I was recently looking at climbing equipment, generally specified as
safe up to loads of 25KN, I suspect I fell for the hype and cheaper 12KN
would have been fine for me.

However car range is different.

There are two factors. The main factor of range is how often I'm willing
to stop to refuel. With Lithium Ion batteries the problem is long
charging times, people want bigger capacities because they don't want to
stop from an hour to recharge. If they can recharge in minutes they
would be more willing to stop.

The car battery analogy to your example is the power reserve I need to
get me to a recharging station in case of emergency. Where I live I
would expect recharging stations to be closely spaced, requiring little
emergency capacity.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 26th 21 03:19 PM

On 26/05/2021 15:09, Pancho wrote:
[...]

That is just one problem. The other problem ins fundamental and insoluble.

How much extractable and viable lithium is there in the world?

If there isn't enough we will need another form of secondary energy
storage. They would not have revived and been hyping up 'hydrogen' if
there was any prospect that batteries would work.

When that doesn't work either, some bushy-tailed ArtStudent„˘ will have a
lightbulb moment and say 'why don't we make renewable diesel fuel?'

Which is precisely what I reckon will happen.

Burn that with *pure* oxygen and hey presto - no NOx!, just CO2 and
water. Collect the CO2 and water and feed it back to your syndiesel plant...

The car battery analogy to your example is the power reserve I need to
get me to a recharging station in case of emergency. Where I live I
would expect recharging stations to be closely spaced, requiring little
emergency capacity.

But its the journey that is to somewhere that you *dont* live that is
the problem.

Your argument is as circular as a long playing record

--
Its easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

newshound May 26th 21 03:30 PM

wrote:

[...]

Interesting.

I forget the numbers, but doesn't a motorway petrol station effectively
deliver tens of megawatts of power when its fuel pumps are all going.
So, to achieve equivalent performance in terms of "refuelling" times
recharging stations are going to need fairly substantial grid
connections as we reduce the present battery charging rate restrictions.
Or else be connected to a hydrogen grid with some big fuel cells. Either
way, there are significant infrastructure questions on top of any basic
technology solution.

Also, most of the demand for charge will be during the working day.
Petrol stations have very efficient storage so although the capital (the
pumps) is under utilised, it doesn't screw the economics because these
are cheap.

Pancho May 26th 21 03:36 PM

[...]

Stop. No one sane is suggesting batteries for grid long term energy
store. The most they would be used for on the grid is very short term
smoothing.

Hydrogen is a possible candidate for long term (seasonal) energy store.
It is ballpark economic (i.e. within an order of magnitude).

When that doesn't work either, some bushy-tailed ArtStudent„˘ will have a
lightbulb moment and say 'why don't we make renewable diesel fuel?'

Biodiesel? It doesn't scale, but we do do it.

Which is precisely what I reckon will happen.

Burn that with *pure* oxygen and hey presto - no NOx!, just CO2 and
water. Collect the CO2 and water and feed it back to your syndiesel
plant...

A field of rapeseed? Or one of those fusion plants, that are on the
verge of being on the verge of... being very expensive.

The car battery analogy to your example is the power reserve I need to
get me to a recharging station in case of emergency. Where I live I
would expect recharging stations to be closely spaced, requiring
little emergency capacity.

But its the journey that is to somewhere that you *dont* live that is
the problem.

Eh? No, you have charging infrastructure.

Your argument is as circular as a long playing record

The are spirals, aren't they?

newshound May 26th 21 05:58 PM

OT: Lithium ion battery developments

On 26/05/2021 17:29, Tim Streater wrote:
On 26 May 2021 at 15:30:21 BST, newshound
wrote:

I forget the numbers, but doesn't a motorway petrol station effectively
deliver tens of megawatts of power when its fuel pumps are all going.
So, to achieve equivalent performance in terms of "refuelling" times
recharging stations are going to need fairly substantial grid
connections as we reduce the present battery charging rate restrictions.

Yes yes, I've made this point a number of times. Good to see you've been
paying attention.

Yes but it is *particularly* relevent to a link that says "charge
anxiety over, new battery charges 60 times faster".

newshound May 26th 21 06:01 PM

On 26/05/2021 11:06, Theo wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:
" That means that the capacity of your current batteries is over 1.5
times what they would have held a decade ago."

Am I supposed to be impressed?

If you don't compare it to computers, it's not so bad. Think of other
fields: are there washing machines that improved their water use by 50%? Are
there planes that got 50% more fuel efficiency?

Actually I would not be surprised if washing machines had not done that,
and aero engine efficiency improvement is probably in double digits over
a decade. And gas turbines have been around for more than 70 years.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 26th 21 08:05 PM

wrote:

[...]

yes, but they are really not show stoppers.

Also, most of the demand for charge will be during the working day.
Petrol stations have very efficient storage so although the capital (the
pumps) is under utilised, it doesn't screw the economics because these
are cheap.

I am sure a fast motorway charge will not come at domestic rates

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 26th 21 08:08 PM

On 26/05/2021 15:36, Pancho wrote:
[...]

Why are you changing the subject?
I am talking about hydrogen for vehicles b ecause batteries wont work

Hydrogen is a possible candidate for long term (seasonal) energy store.
It is ballpark economic (i.e. within an order of magnitude).

When that doesn't work either, some bushy-tailed ArtStudent„˘ will have
a lightbulb moment and say 'why don't we make renewable diesel fuel?'

Biodiesel? It doesn't scale, but we do do it.

No. Not biodiesel

Which is precisely what I reckon will happen.

Burn that with *pure* oxygen and hey presto - no NOx!, just CO2 and
water. Collect the CO2 and water and feed it back to your syndiesel
plant...

A field of rapeseed? Or one of those fusion plants, that are on the
verge of being on the verge of... being very expensive.

Bog standard nuclear power or sur[plus wind power

The car battery analogy to your example is the power reserve I need
to get me to a recharging station in case of emergency. Where I live
I would expect recharging stations to be closely spaced, requiring
little emergency capacity.

But its the journey that is to somewhere that you *dont* live that is
the problem.

Eh? No, you have charging infrastructure.

' where you live'. you said.

Your argument is as circular as a long playing record

The are spirals, aren't they?

not round the edges

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 26th 21 08:10 PM

wrote:

I forget the numbers, but doesn't a motorway petrol station effectively
deliver tens of megawatts of power when its fuel pumps are all going.
So, to achieve equivalent performance in terms of "refuelling" times
recharging stations are going to need fairly substantial grid
connections as we reduce the present battery charging rate restrictions.

Yes yes, I've made this point a number of times. Good to see you've been
paying attention.

And I have also said that its no worse than a railway substation to feed
a railway line

Its predictable in terms of time cost and technology. Either its
commercially viable or it isn't but technically its standard crap

--
€śwhen things get difficult you just have to lie€ť

€• Jean Claud JĂĽncker

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 26th 21 08:12 PM

On 26/05/2021 18:01, newshound wrote:
Actually I would not be surprised if washing machines had not done that,
and aero engine efficiency improvement is probably in double digits over
a decade.

Bless!

Quite the ArtStudent aren't you?

Gas turbine efficiency as such us where it was from the get-go - about
37%. Once you have made the transition to high bypass turbofans, that's
pretty much it.

newshound May 26th 21 08:35 PM

OT: Lithium ion battery developments

On 26/05/2021 18:01, newshound wrote:
Actually I would not be surprised if washing machines had not done
that, and aero engine efficiency improvement is probably in double
digits over a decade.

Bless!

Quite the ArtStudent aren't you?

Gas turbine efficiency as such us where it was from the get-go - about
37%. Once you have made the transition to high bypass turbofans, that's
pretty much it.

Missing the point. We were not discussing GT thermal efficiency, we're
talking about fuel per passenger mile. Which goes down with each new
Trent (composites and aerodynamics helps too).

Roger Hayter[_2_] May 26th 21 09:13 PM

OT: Lithium ion battery developments

On 26 May 2021 at 20:12:33 BST, "The Natural Philosopher"
wrote:

On 26/05/2021 18:01, newshound wrote:
Actually I would not be surprised if washing machines had not done that,
and aero engine efficiency improvement is probably in double digits over
a decade.

Bless!

Quite the ArtStudent aren't you?

Gas turbine efficiency as such us where it was from the get-go - about
37%. Once you have made the transition to high bypass turbofans, that's
pretty much it.

That still leaves room for aerodynamic improvements, plane weight improvements
and reducing the number of engines. So he may be right about overall
passenger carrying cost minimisation over recent years.

--
Roger Hayter

Joey[_5_] May 27th 21 12:50 AM

wrote:

[...]

But what matters is how it compares with the cost of petrol.

John Rumm May 27th 21 01:40 AM

wrote:

[...]

If you say a good pump can deliver 50L/min, and petrol has an energy
density of about 35MJ/L, that's 1,750 MJ/min so divide by 60 to get a
delivery rate of ~29MW.

So if you allow for the inefficiencies of the IC engine you could say
you would need an electrical delivery rate of ~10MW per pump for an
equivalent fill rate.

So, to achieve equivalent performance in terms of "refuelling" times
recharging stations are going to need fairly substantial grid
connections as we reduce the present battery charging rate restrictions.
Or else be connected to a hydrogen grid with some big fuel cells. Either
way, there are significant infrastructure questions on top of any basic
technology solution.

They could also have substantial local "batteries", to smooth out the
delivery spikes a bit.

--
Cheers,

John.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 27th 21 07:38 AM

OT: Lithium ion battery developments

On 26/05/2021 21:07, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

I forget the numbers, but doesn't a motorway petrol station effectively
deliver tens of megawatts of power when its fuel pumps are all going.
So, to achieve equivalent performance in terms of "refuelling" times
recharging stations are going to need fairly substantial grid
connections as we reduce the present battery charging rate restrictions.

Yes yes, I've made this point a number of times. Good to see you've been
paying attention.

And I have also said that its no worse than a railway substation to feed
a railway line

Its predictable in terms of time cost and technology. Either its
commercially viable or it isn't but technically its standard crap

True, but think how many petrol stations there are doing this. Practically
every supermarket branch.

And that all happened over a period of years. In fact there are many
less petrol stations than there used to be.

Look: to 'do electric cars' requires a 3:1 grid upgrade give or take.
So you are looking at massive amounts of cable laying - probably
underground and probably at the 33kv level for major charge points
rather than 11kv anyway...

Well we have seen fibre optic cable go from the lab to something a bog
standard openreach engineer can install...once the roads have been dug
up... in less than 40 years.

IF there is a good reason to do it, infrastructure can be laid down and
pay for itself.

Telegraph, telephone, railways, canals, paved roads, electricity grid,
Internet, gas grid, water supplies, sewage systems - all were
inconceivable but got built anyway.

So I have no problem with charging electric cars. If it needs to be done
it can be done. What can't be done in my opinion is to make batteries
sufficiently good to fully replace fuel, and indeed there are severe
limitations on the supply of lithium to do it.

That is the critical question - not charging. To wit "Can we develop a
battery that is good enough, cheap enough (especially in how much energy
it takes to manufacture) and does not exhaust available resources?"

My claim is that we cannot, at least with electrochemical batteries.

God saw fit to give us hydrocarbon fuels and an abundance of Oxygen, he
did not see fit to give us a decent method of storing similar quantities
of energy in batteries.

It is a bummer, but that is the reality we have to deal with.

If we had decent batteries, all else necessary would be possible.
Trouble is we don't, and we almost certainly never will.

If the wind blew steadily and constantly windmills would be a reasonable
way to generate electricity, trouble is it doesn't, and never will.

If it were sunny day and night, solar panels would be a reasonable way
to generate electricity, trouble is it isn't, and never will be.

If we had a containment system that could keep a plasma hot enough and
at high enough pressure to sustain nuclear fusion, we could have access
to huge amounts of carbon free energy, Trouble is, we don't, and ther is
no guarantee we ever will have.

As an engineer, technology has to pass several tests. None of which are
applied by ArtStudents„˘

1/. Is it theoretically possible ?
2/. Is it practically possible?
3/. Is it cost effective compared with other ways of achieving the same
ends?

The world is awash with clever ArtStudent„˘ ideas that fail one or more
of these criteria.

Universal electric cars are probably a great example.

Lucas Bergkamp

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 27th 21 07:52 AM

On 26/05/2021 20:35, newshound wrote:
On 26/05/2021 18:01, newshound wrote:
Actually I would not be surprised if washing machines had not done
that, and aero engine efficiency improvement is probably in double
digits over a decade.

Bless!

Quite the ArtStudent aren't you?

Gas turbine efficiency as such us where it was from the get-go - about
37%. Once you have made the transition to high bypass turbofans,
that's pretty much it.

Missing the point. We were not discussing GT thermal efficiency,

you never made that clear

we're
talking about fuel per passenger mile. Which goes down with each new
Trent (composites and aerodynamics helps too).

Aerodynamics and materials outside the engine dominate. The engines
themselves are scarcely any more efficient at all. Lighter possibly.
delivering power in a slightly more useful way perhaps

Your point was that engine efficiency had advanced in double digits. I
am saying that engine *efficiency* has hardly changed,. The engines are
a bit lighter, and fine tuning of bypass ratios improves efficiency a
bit, but all the advances in aircraft design have come from slightly
better aero and better materials, and electronics, not massively better
engines.

Moore's law fits the introduction of new technology: asymptotic advance
towards 'as good as it gets' is the norm for mature technology.
Aircraft, jet engines, steam engines, car engines...electric motors and
batteries - all these are 'mature technology'

I have a server based on a mid noughties entry level motherboard and a
desktop that is based on 2015 entry level tech . A decade between them.
Back in the 90s that would have meant 100 times better performance. In
this case its barely 4.

Computers are now mature. Moore's law has ceased to apply.

Electric cars and batteries are mature technology. Moore's law does not
apply.

all women"

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 27th 21 07:56 AM

wrote:

On 26/05/2021 18:01, newshound wrote:
Actually I would not be surprised if washing machines had not done that,
and aero engine efficiency improvement is probably in double digits over
a decade.

Bless!

Quite the ArtStudent aren't you?

Gas turbine efficiency as such us where it was from the get-go - about
37%. Once you have made the transition to high bypass turbofans, that's
pretty much it.

That still leaves room for aerodynamic improvements, plane weight improvements
and reducing the number of engines. So he may be right about overall
passenger carrying cost minimisation over recent years.

yes, but that is not 'aero engine efficiency'

we were discussing car batteries, and he was using that example to imply
that car batteries would likewise improve. In fact he and you do the
exact opposite. By pointing out that the best way to imnprove electric
car range would be - and is - to work not in the battery but on vehicle
weight, aerodynamics and drag reduction in all possible ways, as well as
regenerative braking...

....Because battery efficiency ain't going anywhere,

--
In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.

- George Orwell

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 27th 21 07:56 AM

wrote:

[...]

That will be determined by politics

--
€śThere are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isnt true; the
other is to refuse to believe what is true.€ť

€”Soren Kierkegaard

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) May 27th 21 08:05 AM

OT: Lithium ion battery developments

I think what they need to look at is the number of cycles and their ability
to still be as good ten years on, this is particularly the case for those
running vehicles.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 27th 21 09:07 AM

OT: Lithium ion battery developments

On 27/05/2021 08:35, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

[...]

fewer

:-)

Look: to 'do electric cars' requires a 3:1 grid upgrade give or take.
So you are looking at massive amounts of cable laying - probably
underground and probably at the 33kv level for major charge points
rather than 11kv anyway...

Sure, but then that will also require a 3:1 increase in the number of power
stations. Where's the planning for that?

Buried in the small print at defra

Last white paper had IIRC 65GW of new nuclear in the footnotes and
headlined 120GW of pointless wind

With Carrie Symonds running Britain's energy policy, it will stay in the
footnotes for a while...

Peeler[_4_] May 27th 21 10:20 AM

More Heavy Trolling by the Nym-Shifting Senile Australian Pest!

On Thu, 27 May 2021 09:50:28 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID:

Joey[_5_] May 27th 21 10:43 AM

wrote:

[...]

Not with the price of petrol and unlikely with the price of the recharge.

Steve Walker[_5_] May 27th 21 11:00 AM

On 27/05/2021 08:05, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I think what they need to look at is the number of cycles and their ability
to still be as good ten years on, this is particularly the case for those
running vehicles.

It's going to be massive problem for the second-hand market. I was
reading up the other day on fast charging of EV batteries.

It appears that the manufacturers warrant the batteries for various
periods 5 years, 7 years or whatever. The more rapid charges someone
does, the shorter the battery life, so they have included software that
limits how many times a battery can be fast charged.

Don't do it often, no problem, do it often and the system will
eventually stop you fast charging, on at least some occasions, to
protect battery life and prevent in-warranty failures.

However, they are balancing convenience against warranty claims, so
allowing the maximum number of rapid charges for an acceptable number of
warranty claims, therefore a second-hand vehicle, that is just out of
warranty, could be very close to battery failure, depending upon how it
has been used. So you could buy a 5 year-old car and within months have
it written off as uneconomic to repair due to battery failure.

Peeler[_4_] May 27th 21 11:09 AM

More Heavy Trolling by the Nym-Shifting Senile Australian Pest!

On Thu, 27 May 2021 19:43:13 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 27th 21 02:20 PM

wrote:

[...]

Oh purlease.

70% of the cost of petrol is politically generated duty.

I can buy heating oil that would run my car for 40p a litre. its ÂŁ1.30
in the pumps as road fuel

the difference is political.
If the government decided to tax vegetarian food instead of petrol it
could be less than 50p a litre

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 27th 21 02:21 PM

On 27/05/2021 11:17, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 27 May 2021 19:43:13 +1000, "Joey" wrote:

On 27/05/2021 00:50, Joey wrote:

On 26/05/2021 15:30, newshound wrote:

I am sure a fast motorway charge will not come at domestic rates

But what matters is how it compares with the cost of petrol.

That will be determined by politics

Not with the price of petrol and unlikely with the price of the recharge.

I thought the price of petrol was mostly determined by politics,
specifically by how much tax is imposed by Govt.

Of course. Joey is blowing off through his arse

--
€śThe urge to save humanity is almost always only a false face for the
urge to rule it.€ť

Joey[_5_] May 27th 21 06:39 PM

On 27/05/2021 00:50, Joey wrote:

On 26/05/2021 15:30, newshound wrote:

I am sure a fast motorway charge will not come at domestic rates

But what matters is how it compares with the cost of petrol.

That will be determined by politics

Not with the price of petrol and unlikely with the price of the recharge.

I thought the price of petrol was mostly determined by politics,
specifically by how much tax is imposed by Govt.

But they aren't likely to change the way they do that once EVs are common.

Joey[_5_] May 27th 21 07:12 PM

wrote:

[...]

But that isnt going to CHANGE with fast chargers added.

Peeler[_4_] May 27th 21 07:13 PM

More Heavy Trolling by the Nym-Shifting Senile Australian Pest!

On Fri, 28 May 2021 03:39:48 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

dennis@home to senile know-it-all Rodent Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."