Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where did it go?

Eternal September just died on me.
Who forgot to pay the bill again? grin

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Eternal September just died on me.
Who forgot to pay the bill again? grin

It's been a bit up and down recently but it's still working for me.
I'm not affected directly by it coming and going because I run my own
little news server which collects and sends Usenet messages in the
background, my newsreader program can always connect to the local news
server so it's always 'instantaneous'.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Mon, 17 May 2021 10:36:46 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Eternal September just died on me.
Who forgot to pay the bill again? grin

Brian

Ok here at the moment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Eternal September just died on me.
Who forgot to pay the bill again? grin

Brian

E-S has some routine where the server is "paused",
some activity takes place, and the server is put
back online again.

The administrator is having a problem with that,
a recent problem. The server enters the "paused"
state at the scheduled time, but the server does
not go back to the online state again on its own.
The administrator is not staring at the screen
when this happens, and mostly the server is
scripted for all the behaviors. It's only when
the thing screws up like it is, that it needs
debug and work.

Both E-S and AIOE are in a COLO, and not in the
administrators basement. They cannot physically
touch the server, because it is under lock and key.
They can only "remote in" and work on it.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Eternal September just died on me.
Who forgot to pay the bill again? grin

Yes - back on now. It's why I use both NES and AIOE - chances of both
being down, remote. But perhaps some newsreaders don't make this as easy
as this one does.

Mine visits both, but only downloads the same post from one, so looks for
duplicates.

--
*Why does the sun lighten our hair, but darken our skin?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.