Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What size flush hinges to use

Hi All,

As part of my cabinet building, I am planning on using flush hinges for the doors and fitting them so that the door sits inside the carcass. Both carcass and door are made from 18mm ply and I am pinning 5mm ply to the front of both. For the carcass, this is to cover the join of the carcasses for adjacent cupboards and also covers the end of the ply. For the door it is to make it shaker style.

Question is... what size hinges to use. 63mm seem to be correct for 18mm ply as the holes are largely in the middle of the board. With the 5mm ply on top though it is now close to the edge. Next size up (75mm?) seem to be very bulky. If I glue and ping the 5mm ply to the 18mm ply, would this be strong enough to hold the screws in place (i.e. close to the centre of the 23mm but it would be only 5.5mm from the edge of the 18mm ply - if you see what I mean?).

Any other cunning ideas?

thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 2 May 2021 at 09:11:02 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

I suggest you visit Blum's website which has very detailed information about their whole range of hinges:

https://www.blum.com/gb/en/products/hingesystems/

Good diagrams, measurements, specifications, fitting requirements. Even if you ended up choosing another company's products, it is likely a useful starting point.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, May 2, 2021 at 10:18:11 AM UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

I think the OP is talking about Butt Hinges.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 2 May 2021 at 10:49:54 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
[...]

Ah well! They still sell soft-close buffers which might be useful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 2 May 2021 at 10:52:28 UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

thanks both. These are the sorts of hinges I was referring to...

https://www.screwfix.com/c/security-...y-_-flushhinge
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 2 May 2021 at 12:46:08 UTC+1, wrote:

thanks both. These are the sorts of hinges I was referring to...

https://www.screwfix.com/c/security-...y-_-flushhinge

Can you just change my reply to be a "cunning idea" as an alternative approach. :-)