Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aircraft circling low, with white lights flashing

It must have done at my count 40 very tight circles, before I got bored
watching. It had landing lights on, around 10 miles from the airport
and had white lights flashing on wing tips. I couldn't see any
navigation lights. What might that have been doing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

It must have done at my count 40 very tight circles

when/where?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2021 20:41, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It must have done at my count 40 very tight circles, before I got bored
watching. It had landing lights on, around 10 miles from the airport and
had white lights flashing on wing tips. I couldn't see any navigation
lights. What might that have been doing?

Police sometimes circle while using Stingray or similar to intercept
criminal or other suspect mobile phones, but they wouldn't normally do
it very low. I suppose they might have been constrained by the proximity
of an airport. At one time you could sometimes see this activity on
FlightRadar but now I think they have the option to prevent it being
displayed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote on 17/04/2021 :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

It must have done at my count 40 very tight circles

when/where?

West of Garforth, today 20:15 on..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound laid this down on his screen :
Police sometimes circle while using Stingray or similar to intercept criminal
or other suspect mobile phones, but they wouldn't normally do it very low. I
suppose they might have been constrained by the proximity of an airport. At
one time you could sometimes see this activity on FlightRadar but now I think
they have the option to prevent it being displayed.

Do West Yorkshire have an police aircraft, I know they have an
helicopter?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in message
It must have done at my count 40 very tight circles, before I got bored
watching. It had landing lights on, around 10 miles from the airport and
had white lights flashing on wing tips. I couldn't see any navigation
lights. What might that have been doing?

Didn't have a chopper handy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 20:41:40 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

It must have done at my count 40 very tight circles, before I got bored
watching. It had landing lights on, around 10 miles from the airport
and had white lights flashing on wing tips. I couldn't see any
navigation lights. What might that have been doing?

I saw two military aircraft yesterday (Fri) flying in formation over
Prestwich (3 mi N of Manchester) going roughly North.

SWMBO suggested it might be to do with the D of E funeral.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

West of Garforth, today 20:15 on..

Planefinder.net does show a single aircraft arrive from the south, swizz
around for a bit (doesn't look like 40 circles on screen, but don't know
what resolution/interval it records at)

Seemed to spend longer over Huddersfield earlier in the afternoon

https://planefinder.net/flight/UKP155/time/2021-04-17T19:15:00.000Z/speed/20

aircraft is G-POLV, which is a national police plane, so that seems to fit

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1730258
https://twitter.com/npasnortheast/status/1262633327934222336?lang=en

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And how big a plane, you often see twin engined prop jobs doing that over
traffic hot spots or some event or other here near London apparently.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

It must have done at my count 40 very tight circles

when/where?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2021 20:41, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It must have done at my count 40 very tight circles, before I got bored
watching. It had landing lights on, around 10 miles from the airport and
had white lights flashing on wing tips.

Visibility strobes.

I couldn't see any navigation
lights.

Not necessarily on during daylight.

What might that have been doing?

Waiting at a holding point for permission to join the landing circuit.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
And how big a plane, you often see twin engined prop jobs doing that over
traffic hot spots or some event or other here near London apparently.
Brian

At one point in time, one of the London ILR stations used to use such a
plane.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Burning off fuel,

No point in doing that in tight circles.

photography,

Not usually viable, too hard to focus on what you are photographing.

just being a pain to the locals?

Unlikely.

Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in message
It must have done at my count 40 very tight circles, before I got bored
watching. It had landing lights on, around 10 miles from the airport and
had white lights flashing on wing tips. I couldn't see any navigation
lights. What might that have been doing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" wrote in message
On 17/04/2021 20:41, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It must have done at my count 40 very tight circles, before I got bored
watching. It had landing lights on, around 10 miles from the airport and
had white lights flashing on wing tips.

Visibility strobes.

I couldn't see any navigation lights.

Not necessarily on during daylight.

What might that have been doing?

Waiting at a holding point for permission to join the landing circuit.

If it was that you'd expect that he would have seen
that before and they don't do that in very tight circles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 19:51:18 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Burning off fuel,

No point in doing that in tight circles.

photography,

Not usually viable, too hard to focus on what you are photographing.

just being a pain to the locals?

Unlikely.

In auto-contradicting mode again, you clinically insane octogenarian senile
pest?

--
Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 20:03:11 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the obnoxious trolling senile asshole's latest troll****

"That˘s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2021 11:03, Rod Speed wrote:

"nightjar" wrote in message
On 17/04/2021 20:41, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It must have done at my count 40 very tight circles, before I got
bored watching. It had landing lights on, around 10 miles from the
airport and had white lights flashing on wing tips.

Visibility strobes.

I couldn't see any navigation lights.

Not necessarily on during daylight.

What might that have been doing?

Waiting at a holding point for permission to join the landing circuit.

If it was that you'd expect that he would have seen
that before

That depends upon the type of airport, the type and size of aircraft and
how busy it gets. Most of the holding points for my local airfield are
rarely used because it rarely gets that busy.

and they don't do that in very tight circles.

Depends on the size of the aircraft. I used to in mine.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" wrote in message
On 17/04/2021 20:41, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It must have done at my count 40 very tight circles, before I got
bored watching. It had landing lights on, around 10 miles from the
airport and had white lights flashing on wing tips.

Visibility strobes.

I couldn't see any navigation lights.

Not necessarily on during daylight.

What might that have been doing?

Waiting at a holding point for permission to join the landing circuit.

If it was that you'd expect that he would have seen that before

That depends upon the type of airport, the type and size of aircraft and
how busy it gets. Most of the holding points for my local airfield are
rarely used because it rarely gets that busy.

and they don't do that in very tight circles.

Depends on the size of the aircraft. I used to in mine.

+1 except if the FI was on-board then they had to be proper race-track
ovals :-)

Avpx
(P1 lapsed)

--
'People need vampires,' she [Granny] said. 'They helps 'em remember what
stakes and garlic are for.' (Carpe Jugulum)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2021 20:41, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It must have done at my count 40 very tight circles, before I got bored
watching. It had landing lights on, around 10 miles from the airport and
had white lights flashing on wing tips. I couldn't see any navigation
lights. What might that have been doing?

We've had the same thing several times. Apparently the police are
playing with a new fixed wing plane.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Andy Burns wrote :
Planefinder.net does show a single aircraft arrive from the south, swizz
around for a bit (doesn't look like 40 circles on screen, but don't know what
resolution/interval it records at)

The centre of the tight circles was gradually drifting. It was too far
away to ID the type of aircraft, which had the setting sun behind it.
I've never seen one before with flashing white lights on the wing tips.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar has brought this to us :
Waiting at a holding point for permission to join the landing circuit.

It was a very tight circle, the occupants would be dizzy when it
eventually landed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright expressed precisely :
We've had the same thing several times. Apparently the police are playing
with a new fixed wing plane.

A possible explanation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2021 15:02, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
nightjar has brought this to us :
Waiting at a holding point for permission to join the landing circuit.

It was a very tight circle, the occupants would be dizzy when it
eventually landed.

It doesn't work that way. The forces are downwards through your seat, so
your inner ear doesn't get disorientated.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2021 10:44, charles wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
And how big a plane, you often see twin engined prop jobs doing that over
traffic hot spots or some event or other here near London apparently.
Brian

At one point in time, one of the London ILR stations used to use such a
plane.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mart707/3761207099
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 18/04/2021 06:50, Andy Burns wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

West of Garforth, today 20:15 on..

Planefinder.net does show a single aircraft arrive from the south, swizz
around for a bit (doesn't look like 40 circles on screen, but don't know
what resolution/interval it records at)

Seemed to spend longer over Huddersfield earlier in the afternoon

https://planefinder.net/flight/UKP155/time/2021-04-17T19:15:00.000Z/speed/20

aircraft is G-POLV, which is a national police plane, so that seems to fit

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1730258
https://twitter.com/npasnortheast/status/1262633327934222336?lang=en

Interesting link.

But I cannot find a plane landing at Doncaster on the 12th (10.10am to
10.20am ish) that must have landed (I could not see the runway) I was
halfway between Tickhill and Bawtry.

Are military plane hidden from that site?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

I cannot find a plane landing at Doncaster on the 12th (10.10am to
10.20am ish) that must have landed (I could not see the runway) I was
halfway between Tickhill and Bawtry.

Are military plane hidden from that site?

I don't know if military planes have ADS-B transmitters, or some other
system, or maybe they're allowed to turn them on/off as required?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" wrote in message
On 17/04/2021 20:41, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It must have done at my count 40 very tight circles, before I got bored
watching. It had landing lights on, around 10 miles from the airport
and had white lights flashing on wing tips.

Visibility strobes.

I couldn't see any navigation lights.

Not necessarily on during daylight.

What might that have been doing?

Waiting at a holding point for permission to join the landing circuit.

If it was that you'd expect that he would have seen
that before

That depends upon the type of airport, the type and size of aircraft and
how busy it gets. Most of the holding points for my local airfield are
rarely used because it rarely gets that busy.

and they don't do that in very tight circles.

Depends on the size of the aircraft.

Bull****.

I used to in mine.

Don't believe it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 05:04:01 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH yet more of the trolling senile asshole's troll****

--
Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

I don't know if military planes have ADS-B transmitters

apparently they do.

or some other system, or maybe they're allowed to turn them on/off as
required?

but they can switch from "Mode S" to "Mode 5" when they don't want to be
tracked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" wrote in message
[...]

Flying VFR, you have to keep a lookout for other aircraft. That is much
easier when orbiting (flying in a circle) than when trying to fly a
racetrack. You can orbit purely by using external references. A
racetrack hold needs you to spend a lot of time looking inside the
cockpit at your instruments and at the time. Not a problem when flying
IFR, as ATC radar should keep you safe from other aircraft. A serious
problem when trying to keep a lookout for other aircraft.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" wrote in message
[...]

As a private pilot, I only had to meet my own standards. :-)

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 15:04:41 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

williamwright expressed precisely :
We've had the same thing several times. Apparently the police are playing
with a new fixed wing plane.

A possible explanation.

There was a newspaper (forgot which one) story recently about the
police in Scotland somewhere have bought a few planes and then found
them unsuitable for what they wanted. They were trying to sell them
(cheap) to some UK forces. Maybe this was a trial by prospective
buyers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" wrote in message
[...]

But there is no point in doing VERY TIGHT circles because
you cant see anything like as well when doing that.

And it turns out that the very tight circles observed
had the center of the circles drifting over the ground
so they wouldn't have been doing what you claim.

You can orbit purely by using external references. A racetrack hold needs
you to spend a lot of time looking inside the cockpit at your instruments
and at the time. Not a problem when flying IFR, as ATC radar should keep
you safe from other aircraft. A serious problem when trying to keep a
lookout for other aircraft.

And so is VERY TIGHT circles, which is why no one does that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 07:49:32 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile cretin's latest troll**** unread

"That˘s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2021 20:48, Andy Burns wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I don't know if military planes have ADS-B transmitters

apparently they do.

or some other system, or maybe they're allowed to turn them on/off as
required?

but they can switch from "Mode S" to "Mode 5" when they don't want to be
tracked.

We see quite a few here, and normally it's turned on.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I don't know if military planes have ADS-B transmitters [...]
apparently they do. but they can switch from "Mode S" to "Mode 5"
when they don't want to be tracked.

We see quite a few here, and normally it's turned on.

I built one of the coke-can antennas for a DVB-T based SDR, it picked up
ADS-B transponders ok ... that's basically how all the flightradar sites
get their data.

http://www.radioforeveryone.com/p/coketenna-easy-cheap-effec.html