Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default shed design

Shed no 3 on the design board. This time I'll make it big enough though I have no doubt whatever the size it will get filled up
On a 4m x 4m concrete base, either a pent roof, like its siblings or a single slope roof. Timber framework with corrugated iron sheeting to roof and walls. Not a thing of beauty but pragmatism reigns.
Previously I used 4 x 2s at 600mm centres with roof truss corresponding to wall verticals. I have been pondering increasing the spacings to cut down on the fabrication but don't know where to start. I know traditional round roof farm barn trusses were set at 5m c/c with 6 x 4 purlins but thats a bit extreme for me. An engineer friend once told me the strongest part of them was the corrugated sheeting.
Somewhere in the middle would be nice. All advice and help sought and gratefully received
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I do wish they would make sheds with the bottom where it tends to rot if its
wood, is made of a kind of long lasting plastic, and only the facials are
the wooden bits that can be replaced easily. I have a shed where the
bottoms have all rotted but the rest seems sound, and it seems such a shame
to toss it. OK so you could get somebody to make metal bits to fix it to
the good bits, but the cost would be probably more than the shed and its
hardly a listed building!

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"fred" wrote in message
Shed no 3 on the design board. This time I'll make it big enough though I
have no doubt whatever the size it will get filled up
On a 4m x 4m concrete base, either a pent roof, like its siblings or a
single slope roof. Timber framework with corrugated iron sheeting to roof
and walls. Not a thing of beauty but pragmatism reigns.
Previously I used 4 x 2s at 600mm centres with roof truss corresponding to
wall verticals. I have been pondering increasing the spacings to cut down on
the fabrication but don't know where to start. I know traditional round roof
farm barn trusses were set at 5m c/c with 6 x 4 purlins but thats a bit
extreme for me. An engineer friend once told me the strongest part of them
was the corrugated sheeting.
Somewhere in the middle would be nice. All advice and help sought and
gratefully received

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2021 16:24, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I do wish they would make sheds with the bottom where it tends to rot if its
wood, is made of a kind of long lasting plastic, and only the facials are
the wooden bits that can be replaced easily. I have a shed where the
bottoms have all rotted but the rest seems sound, and it seems such a shame
to toss it. OK so you could get somebody to make metal bits to fix it to
the good bits, but the cost would be probably more than the shed and its
hardly a listed building!

Brian

You could always build a shed with concrete gravel boards at the bottom,
as is sometimes done with fences. In fact I might even do that for one
that I need to extend / rebuild as the roof is gone (as well as a bit of
decay in some of the bottom timbers).