Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tiled Fireplaces

Asked before but no sound answer:

How were tiled fireplaces made? (as a production job - not DIY). Were the
tiles put in a mould and then the mould filled with concrete?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do you mean tiled surrounds like ones you screw on over the fireplace with a
hole to the fire?
Since the one in our front room had a tile come off it looked like it was
just a slab of something tiled. IE the tile looked like any other tile and
there was no impression in the underlying materiel shaped like the under
side of the tile.
I guess that means at least ours was made and tiled afterwards. I'm sure
there were many ways to do it though, Why are you interested?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"JohnP" wrote in message
. ..
Asked before but no sound answer:

How were tiled fireplaces made? (as a production job - not DIY). Were the
tiles put in a mould and then the mould filled with concrete?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote in
:

Do you mean tiled surrounds like ones you screw on over the fireplace
with a hole to the fire?
Since the one in our front room had a tile come off it looked like it
was
just a slab of something tiled. IE the tile looked like any other tile
and there was no impression in the underlying materiel shaped like the
under side of the tile.
I guess that means at least ours was made and tiled afterwards. I'm
sure
there were many ways to do it though, Why are you interested?
Brian

No Brian - I am thinking back to the 1950's when we have open fires and a
proper tiled hearth and fireplace. Solid concrete and glazed tiles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote in
:

Do you mean tiled surrounds like ones you screw on over the fireplace
with a hole to the fire?
Since the one in our front room had a tile come off it looked like
it was
just a slab of something tiled. IE the tile looked like any other
tile and there was no impression in the underlying materiel shaped
like the under side of the tile.
I guess that means at least ours was made and tiled afterwards. I'm
sure
there were many ways to do it though, Why are you interested?
Brian

No Brian - I am thinking back to the 1950's when we have open fires
and a proper tiled hearth and fireplace. Solid concrete and glazed
tiles.

When I was an apprentice heating engineer the company also made fireplaces,
they were in quite a big way.
The shape of the fireplace is laid out on a bench using wood to create a
mould. Tiles are placed in the mould, best side down. Mortar is then poured
into the mould. The next day the fireplace is lifted off the bench and
grouted. Same with the hearth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in
:

JohnP wrote:
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote in
:

[...]

Great - many thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 04/04/2021 20:27, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
JohnP wrote:
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote in
:

[...]

So you are still alive.

What a pity.

I was hoping Covid killed you.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2021 17:27, ARW wrote:
On 04/04/2021 20:27, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
JohnP wrote:
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote in
:

Do you mean tiled surrounds like ones you screw on over the fireplace
with a hole to the fire?
Â* Since the one in our front room had a tile come off it looked like
Â* it was
just a slab of something tiled. IE the tile looked like any other
tile and there was no impression in the underlying materiel shaped
like the under side of the tile.
Â* I guess that means at least ours was made and tiled afterwards. I'm
Â* sure
there were many ways to do it though, Why are you interested?
Â* Brian

No Brian - I am thinking back to the 1950's when we have open fires
and a proper tiled hearth and fireplace. Solid concrete and glazed
tiles.

When I was an apprentice heating engineer the company also made
fireplaces,
they were in quite a big way.
The shape of the fireplace is laid out on a bench using wood to create a
mould. Tiles are placed in the mould, best side down. Mortar is then
poured
into the mould. The next day the fireplace is lifted off the bench and
grouted. Same with the hearth.

So you are still alive.

What a pity.

I was hoping Covid killed you.

Tsk Tsk. That's not very nice is it?
Dennis went..did Harry?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 05/04/2021 17:27, ARW wrote:
On 04/04/2021 20:27, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
JohnP wrote:
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote in
:

[...]

Still both alive AFAIK.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
On 05/04/2021 17:27, ARW wrote:
On 04/04/2021 20:27, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
JohnP wrote:
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote in
:

[...]

Dense is definitely dead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2021 18:16, ARW wrote:
On 05/04/2021 17:27, ARW wrote:
On 04/04/2021 20:27, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
JohnP wrote:
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote in
:

[...]

Pretty sure dennis was going into palliative care and then nothing

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2021 18:16, ARW wrote:
On 05/04/2021 17:27, ARW wrote:
On 04/04/2021 20:27, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
JohnP wrote:
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote in
:

[...]

No, he decided he would prefer to die at home and
was waiting for the delivery of the fancy hospital bed etc.

and then nothing

Yep.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Apr 2021 11:33:51 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH more senile troll****

--
dennis@home to retarded trolling senile Rodent:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 05/04/2021 18:16, ARW wrote:
On 05/04/2021 17:27, ARW wrote:
On 04/04/2021 20:27, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
JohnP wrote:
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote in
:

[...]

That is not proof that he is dead.

He may have stopped posting because he might have realised that he
nothing of value to post and is a ****.

--
Adam

Stripping and painting cast-iron fireplaces DIY Novice UK diy 10 March 7th 05 01:59 AM
Fireplaces Rick Dipper UK diy 0 November 29th 03 03:24 PM
Old plastering and fireplaces Richard Owen UK diy 1 October 30th 03 01:42 PM
Ventless Gas Fireplaces. JNJ Home Repair 16 October 24th 03 04:49 PM
Are open fireplaces considered desirable by the average house-buyer? andrewpreece UK diy 10 July 22nd 03 10:21 AM