Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WD My Cloud upgrade to OS5

Has anyone got one of these ?.

I was nagged into upgrading to OS5 and WD did warn that
it would not be possible to go back to the original release
because of the indexation changes.

Now it just sits there and ignores my setting to power
down and hibernate after a period of inactivity. The
dashboard has no manual power down option either. Wierd.
I can select Reboot and Logout and that's it. That just
leaves switching it off when not needed :-(. I do not want
it to sit there with the disk spinning needlessly all the
time.

Apart from that change the only extra seems
to be an option to add APPS externally, but when I click
on that link it just looks in my PC download?? directory.
There was a useful PC utility that sat on the taskbar and
showed its capacity, temperature and options to login etc.
That no longer works and nothing replaces it. I think WD
want people to use it as a 'proper' cloud device with OS 5.

It's a Linux device but I have also made it appear as
a PC network drive (S and I don't know how the NTFS
PC network side of it co-exists with the Linux directories
which it uses itself.

I only use it for Windows backups for now, but it has
something called Twonky server though I have never made
proper use of that. Maybe time to remove the 2TB disk
and put that in a caddy or 'proper' NAS box of some sort.

Andrew