DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Best hollow-wall fixings through tiles? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/685623-best-hollow-wall-fixings-through-tiles.html)

Bert Coules March 23rd 21 11:49 PM

Best hollow-wall fixings through tiles?

Many thanks to everyone who pitched in on my computer sound thread. Here's
a more traditionally-DIY question:

I have to fix two grab rails to the walls of a walk-in shower: these are
timber and plasterboard stud walls covered with ceramic tiles. I do have
limited access to the other (non-tiled) side of the walls, so I could
probably locate the vertical studs by drilling a series of holes, but the
rails are a fixed length so even if one end can be secured into timber the
other probably could not.

Can anyone recommend the best really strong and secure hollow-wall fixings
for use through tiles? In the past (on plain walls) I've used the type with
two sprung metal arms which open up once through the hole, but I'm concerned
in this particular job that the hole has to be considerably larger than the
diameter of the bolt: isn't there a danger of the rails, however tightly
fixed, being able to slip about slightly, especially on a glossy tiled
surface?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Dave W[_2_] March 24th 21 12:32 AM

Best hollow-wall fixings through tiles?

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 23:49:27 -0000, "Bert Coules"
wrote:

[...]

The grab rails have to withstand the full weight of a person, so I
wouldn't fancy using spring toggles, which might break the
plasterboard. You say the rails are a fixed length - are the ends bent
round to the wall, with round flanges to take at least three screws?

Do the rails have to be horizontal, or can they be angled so that the
fixings coincide with the wooden studs?

Or you could put thick pieces of plank behind the plasterboard to take
normal screws and spread the load over a large area.
--
Dave W

Bert Coules March 24th 21 01:35 AM

Dave W wrote:

The grab rails have to withstand the full weight
of a person, so I wouldn't fancy using spring
toggles, which might break the plasterboard.

Under most circumstances the majority of the force would be directed
downwards rather than at ninety degrees away fro the walls, but I take your
point. Wouldn't the tiling offer extra resistance though?

You say the rails are a fixed length - are the
ends bent round to the wall, with round flanges
to take at least three screws?

Exactly so.

Do the rails have to be horizontal, or can they
be angled so that the fixings coincide with
the wooden studs?

Horizontal is preferred.

Or you could put thick pieces of plank behind the plasterboard to take
normal screws and spread the load over a large area.

That would involve some fairly drastic destruction on the non-shower sides
of the walls, which would be pretty tricky in one case but could I agree be
worth it for the extra strength.

Thanks.

williamwright March 24th 21 02:22 AM

On 24/03/2021 01:35, Bert Coules wrote:
Dave W wrote:

The grab rails have to withstand the full weight
of a person, so I wouldn't fancy using spring
toggles, which might break the plasterboard.

Under most

But not all

circumstances the majority of the force would be directed
downwards rather than at ninety degrees away fro the walls,

What if someone slips and grabs the rail on the way down?

but I take
your point.Â* Wouldn't the tiling offer extra resistance though?

Not a sound engineering principle!

You really can't fasten anything like that to plasterboard. I mean,
chances are it would be OK, but it's a bit of a risk, and it isn't a
risk you can legitimately take.

Bill

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] March 24th 21 05:52 AM

On 23/03/2021 23:49, Bert Coules wrote:
Many thanks to everyone who pitched in on my computer sound thread.
Here's a more traditionally-DIY question:

I have to fix two grab rails to the walls of a walk-in shower: these are
timber and plasterboard stud walls covered with ceramic tiles.Â* I do
have limited access to the other (non-tiled) side of the walls, so I
could probably locate the vertical studs by drilling a series of holes,
but the rails are a fixed length so even if one end can be secured into
timber the other probably could not.

Can anyone recommend the best really strong and secure hollow-wall
fixings for use through tiles?Â* In the past (on plain walls) I've used
the type with two sprung metal arms which open up once through the hole,
but I'm concerned in this particular job that the hole has to be
considerably larger than the diameter of the bolt: isn't there a danger
of the rails, however tightly fixed, being able to slip about slightly,
especially on a glossy tiled surface?

Thanks for any thoughts.

My experience of this is that the tiles alone are sufficiently good at
spreading the load that there is no point in using anything other than a
plastic rawlplug - but do use a proper diamond tipped core drill to make
perfect holes on the tiles.

The surface are of the tile is far greater than any wall fixing could be
and since it is a shower you will have proper waterproof tile adhesive
so the chance of the tile pulling off the wall is extremely remote.

The only better solution would be to fit a noggin from the rear and
attach to that - but really, it isn't necessary. All my
bathrooms/toilets are done using core drill and rawlpug and in 20 years
none have come loose..

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] March 24th 21 06:07 AM

wrote:

[...]

Do they?

Mostly as I get older I find that I am not aping Tarzan and swinging off
handles, but using them as a steady - they take a little lateral load only.

so I
wouldn't fancy using spring toggles, which might break the
plasterboard. You say the rails are a fixed length - are the ends bent
round to the wall, with round flanges to take at least three screws?

Do the rails have to be horizontal, or can they be angled so that the
fixings coincide with the wooden studs?

Or you could put thick pieces of plank behind the plasterboard to take
normal screws and spread the load over a large area.

In the end there are two issues of strength to understand. The first is
the issue of the joint between handle and plasterboard, and the second
is between plasterboard and stud.

As far as the first goes I can assure you that rawlplugs through
*accurate* holes in tiles is a good as it gets.

in 30 years of hollow wall DIY I have never found *any* 'hollow wall
fixing' to be effective. Plasterboard itself is too weak to take point
loads. but a tile spreads the load better than anything except a wooden
plate .

With respect to the plasterboard itself - well unless you by pass it
altogether and connect to a noggin attached to a stud, what fixing you
use is irrelevant. The plasterboard is only as strong as it is.

IN the case of a grab handle that will only be experiencing very strong
vertical loads, tiles are your friend. Think of them like a thin brick
wall whose buckling is improved by attaching them to a nice stiffening
wall.

Imagine standing on a tile propped up vertically. It will take your
weight far better than a piece of plasterboard placed on edge.

So when you think of tiles *structurally*, stop thinking of them as a
decorative layer and think of them as actually far stronger than the
plasterboard wall - whose purpose is to stop them buckling under load.

all women"

Rod Speed March 24th 21 06:24 AM

[...]

But have you ever had a bad fall and put your full weight on
the grab rail and found it worked fine. THATS what matters.

Rod Speed March 24th 21 06:30 AM

wrote:

[...]

Corse they do if you have a bad fall in the shower.

Mostly as I get older I find that I am not aping Tarzan and swinging off
handles, but using them as a steady - they take a little lateral load
only.

They still need to be strongly attached enough so that
if you do have a bad fall, they dont come off the wall.

Bull****.

Peeler[_4_] March 24th 21 08:49 AM

More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rodent Speed!

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 17:24:28 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

But have you ever had a bad fall and put your full weight on
the grab rail and found it worked fine. THAT¢S what matters.

What REALLY matters is to see that you are a trolling piece of
self-opinonated senile ****, senile Rodent!

--
Richard about senile Rodent:
"Rod Speed, a bare faced pig and ignorant ****."

Martin Brown[_3_] March 24th 21 09:52 AM

Dave W wrote:

The grab rails have to withstand the full weight
of a person, so I wouldn't fancy using spring
toggles, which might break the plasterboard.

Under most circumstances the majority of the force would be directed
downwards rather than at ninety degrees away fro the walls, but I take
your point.Â* Wouldn't the tiling offer extra resistance though?

Not really. Your least bad option is probably to put the rail holes
towards the top of a tile so that if it were ever to be subject to full
falling body dynamic stress the tile will act as a load spreader.

I wouldn't like to bet on it holding up under those circumstances. It
would probably be OK for holding onto under normal conditions, but when
you really needed it to save yourself from a fall it might fail.

You say the rails are a fixed length - are the
ends bent round to the wall, with round flanges
to take at least three screws?

Exactly so.

Trouble is that three screw hole into the plasterboard weakens the bit
in the middle - especially in a shower situation.

Had one heater in our VH lever itself off a lath and plaster wall during
the winter as the cold and damp made the plaster slightly softer than in
mid summer when they had been installed. It is now fixed with butterfly
wing load spreaders which require a huge hole to go through the wall.

It was the top fixings that were pulled out by the cantilever load of
the wall hung heater.

Do the rails have to be horizontal, or can they
be angled so that the fixings coincide with
the wooden studs?

Horizontal is preferred.

Or you could put thick pieces of plank behind the plasterboard to take
normal screws and spread the load over a large area.

That would involve some fairly drastic destruction on the non-shower
sides of the walls, which would be pretty tricky in one case but could I
agree be worth it for the extra strength.

It might be the only realistic option to make it safe. If you are
falling and grab a rail the forces are partly downwards and also away
from the wall but with a huge dynamic torque as well trying to lever the
thing off the wall. I'm not sure how well pasterboard will stand up to
that particularly if as seems likely it may become damp as well.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

[email protected] March 24th 21 09:56 AM

[...]

If you *really* can't modify the grab rails to suit the (probably 400mm)
stud spacing then I would go to plan B and find or make some grab rails
the right length.

Bert Coules March 24th 21 10:33 AM

Best hollow-wall fixings through tiles?

Many thanks for all the replies and the (very varied, as usual) advice.

I think as a preliminary move I'll drill a series of holes in the other
(non-tiled) side of the two walls and try to determine the exact position of
the vertical battens.

Do those electronic stud-locators have any value? I borrowed one many moons
ago but the results were far from definite.

Tim Lamb[_2_] March 24th 21 10:35 AM

Best hollow-wall fixings through tiles?

In message , writes
[...]

+1 or at least make sure one end is attached to a stud.

--
Tim Lamb

SH[_4_] March 24th 21 10:53 AM

On 24/03/2021 10:33, Bert Coules wrote:
Many thanks for all the replies and the (very varied, as usual) advice.

I think as a preliminary move I'll drill a series of holes in the other
(non-tiled) side of the two walls and try to determine the exact
position of the vertical battens.

Do those electronic stud-locators have any value?Â* I borrowed one many
moons ago but the results were far from definite.

i use a series of very powerful neodymium magnets to locate the
plasterboard screws/nails...... May not work well though with tiles
increasing the gap between nail/screw heads and the neodymium magnet.

Andrew[_22_] March 24th 21 11:05 AM

Best hollow-wall fixings through tiles?

On 24/03/2021 10:35, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , writes
On 23/03/2021 23:49, Bert Coules wrote:
Many thanks to everyone who pitched in on my computer sound thread.
Here's a more traditionally-DIY question:
Â*I have to fix two grab rails to the walls of a walk-in shower: these
areÂ* timber and plasterboard stud walls covered with ceramic tiles.
I doÂ* have limited access to the other (non-tiled) side of the walls,
so IÂ* could probably locate the vertical studs by drilling a series
of holes,Â* but the rails are a fixed length so even if one end can be
secured intoÂ* timber the other probably could not.
Â*Can anyone recommend the best really strong and secure hollow-wall
fixings for use through tiles?Â* In the past (on plain walls) I've
used the type with two sprung metal arms which open up once through
the hole,Â* but I'm concerned in this particular job that the hole has
to beÂ* considerably larger than the diameter of the bolt: isn't there
a dangerÂ* of the rails, however tightly fixed, being able to slip
about slightly,Â* especially on a glossy tiled surface?
Â*Thanks for any thoughts.

If you *really* can't modify the grab rails to suit the (probably
400mm) stud spacing then I would go to plan B and find or make some
grab rails the right length.

+1 or at least make sure one end is attached to a stud.

Or fit them vertically. Better than nothing and both ends would be
secured to a stud.

Andrew[_22_] March 24th 21 11:09 AM

On 24/03/2021 10:53, SH wrote:
On 24/03/2021 10:33, Bert Coules wrote:
Many thanks for all the replies and the (very varied, as usual) advice.

I think as a preliminary move I'll drill a series of holes in the
other (non-tiled) side of the two walls and try to determine the exact
position of the vertical battens.

Do those electronic stud-locators have any value?Â* I borrowed one many
moons ago but the results were far from definite.

i use a series of very powerful neodymium magnets to locate the
plasterboard screws/nails...... May not work well though with tiles
increasing the gap between nail/screw heads and the neodymium magnet.

+1. I have an ex-microwave circular magnet and it allows me to
locate plasterboard nails quite easily.

Also handy for holding a collection of long drill bits and metal
tools in my understairs workroom. Sticks to a ladderax upright
and holds lots of things.

Bert Coules March 24th 21 11:28 AM

Best hollow-wall fixings through tiles?

SH & Andrew, thanks for the idea of using a magnet (or more than one) to
detect plasterboard nails or screws.

Apart from a defunct microwave oven, what would be a source for a suitably
powerful magnet?

Steve Walker[_5_] March 24th 21 11:34 AM

On 24/03/2021 11:28, Bert Coules wrote:
SH & Andrew, thanks for the idea of using a magnet (or more than one) to
detect plasterboard nails or screws.

Apart from a defunct microwave oven, what would be a source for a
suitably powerful magnet?

A defunct or unusably small hard-disk.

However, neodinium magnets are pretty cheap online - try Amazon, Ebay or
the like.

Bert Coules March 24th 21 12:07 PM

Steve Walker wrote:

Apart from a defunct microwave oven, what would be a source for a
suitably powerful magnet?

A defunct or unusably small hard-disk.

Well, I have a few of those. More than a few, in fact. I'll get
dismantling.

Thanks.

Adrian Caspersz March 24th 21 12:44 PM

Best hollow-wall fixings through tiles?

On 24/03/2021 12:07, Bert Coules wrote:

Well, I have a few of those.Â* More than a few, in fact.Â* I'll get
dismantling.

Watch your fingers, ye don't want ya flesh pinched.

and keep them away from ya nose, just in case ye feel the urge ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-52094804

--
Adrian C

Bert Coules March 24th 21 01:05 PM

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Watch your fingers, ye don't want ya flesh pinched.

I've removed one magnet from a dead drive but am having trouble parting it
from its metal cradle. I might simply use a steel probe attached to the
magnet but extending beyond the cradle - or will the complete strength of
the magnet be reduced slightly through a separate piece of metal?

Thanks for the link. Dire warning noted.

Incidentally, this is the first time I've opened a hard drive; it's a tad
terrifying to see just how small and frail the pick-up arms and heads (not
the correct term, I imagine) are, given how much one relies on them.

newshound March 24th 21 01:07 PM

wrote:

Many thanks to everyone who pitched in on my computer sound thread.
Here's
a more traditionally-DIY question:

I have to fix two grab rails to the walls of a walk-in shower: these are
timber and plasterboard stud walls covered with ceramic tiles.Â* I do
have
limited access to the other (non-tiled) side of the walls, so I could
probably locate the vertical studs by drilling a series of holes, but
the
rails are a fixed length so even if one end can be secured into
timber the
other probably could not.

Can anyone recommend the best really strong and secure hollow-wall
fixings
for use through tiles?Â* In the past (on plain walls) I've used the
type with
two sprung metal arms which open up once through the hole, but I'm
concerned
in this particular job that the hole has to be considerably larger
than the
diameter of the bolt: isn't there a danger of the rails, however tightly
fixed, being able to slip about slightly, especially on a glossy tiled
surface?

Thanks for any thoughts.

The grab rails have to withstand the full weight of a person,

Do they?

Mostly as I get older I find that I am not aping Tarzan and swinging off
handles, but using them as a steady - they take a little lateral load only.

Â*so I
[...]

I agree with all that, but I think there are too many uncertainties to
be sure of the best option. Are they thin, 4 inch tiles or thick, 12
inch ones? The latter, provided they are well secured to the
plasterboard, will be more secure. 12mm plasterboard will be better than
9mm. One concern, especially with small tiles, is whether putting load
on the rails might eventually crack the grout, letting water through and
eventually making the whole lot weak. My first attempt (quite a long
time ago) at building and tiling a shower cubicle eventually failed for
this reason. Quite possibly because of my lack of competence. Since
then, I have only used Mermaid or similar melamine faced board in
applications like this.

I'm with Dave; especially if it is a heavy person with a risk of falling
heavily I'd be looking to provide more support from the back. For
example a (roughly) square piece of 18mm ply between the studs and
against the plasterboard.

newshound March 24th 21 01:11 PM

On 24/03/2021 10:53, SH wrote:
On 24/03/2021 10:33, Bert Coules wrote:
Many thanks for all the replies and the (very varied, as usual) advice.

I think as a preliminary move I'll drill a series of holes in the
other (non-tiled) side of the two walls and try to determine the exact
position of the vertical battens.

Do those electronic stud-locators have any value?Â* I borrowed one many
moons ago but the results were far from definite.

i use a series of very powerful neodymium magnets to locate the
plasterboard screws/nails...... May not work well though with tiles
increasing the gap between nail/screw heads and the neodymium magnet.

+1, but should work on the other side. A technique I sometimes use with
lath and plaster (I have some washer-shaped magnets with a hole in) is
to dangle them from a foot or two of sewing thread and use them sort of
like a plumb line. You will spot the fact that they won't swing or hang
quite right as you move them around when the magnet is near a screw or nail.

newshound March 24th 21 01:12 PM

Steve Walker wrote:

Apart from a defunct microwave oven, what would be a source for a
suitably powerful magnet?

A defunct or unusably small hard-disk.

Well, I have a few of those.Â* More than a few, in fact.Â* I'll get
dismantling.

Thanks.

All sorts of sizes and shapes on eBay.

Bert Coules March 24th 21 01:23 PM

newshound wrote:

A technique I sometimes use with
lath and plaster... is
to dangle them from a foot or two of sewing thread...

That's a nice tip; thanks.

Bert Coules March 24th 21 01:29 PM

newshound wrote:

I'm with Dave; especially if it is a heavy person with a risk of falling
heavily I'd be looking to provide more support from the back. For example
a (roughly) square piece of 18mm ply between the studs and against the
plasterboard.

I agree that this is the ideal solution, the practical drawback being that
access to the inside of the walls can only be obtained by removing the
plasterboard on the other side, necessitating a pretty extreme job of
replacing, replastering, and repainting. Plus the fact that though this is
perfectly possible on one side of the shower, the reverse of the wall on the
other side is far less accessible. Probably worth the effort, though, if
finding and using the studs doesn't prove practical.

Dave Plowman (News) March 24th 21 02:26 PM

Best hollow-wall fixings through tiles?

In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
[...]

I'd say a grab rail needs to be fixed to something a lot stronger than
plasterboard.

If you have access to the other side, remove a bit of that plasterboard
and fit a decent noggin between the studs, and fix through the tiles to
that.

--
*You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News) March 24th 21 03:02 PM

Bert Coules wrote:
Do the rails have to be horizontal, or can they
be angled so that the fixings coincide with
the wooden studs?

Horizontal is preferred.

I fitted a vertical one to my shower cubical fixed into a stud. In
practice, it's OK to use. For me, mainly to hang on to while washing one
foot at a time.

--
*Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of cheques *

Bert Coules March 24th 21 03:35 PM

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If you have access to the other side, remove a bit of that plasterboard
and fit a decent noggin between the studs, and fix through the tiles to
that.

This does seem to be a popular suggestion, so thanks.

Dave Plowman (News) March 24th 21 03:57 PM

Bert Coules wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If you have access to the other side, remove a bit of that plasterboard
and fit a decent noggin between the studs, and fix through the tiles to
that.

This does seem to be a popular suggestion, so thanks.

It's a bit like mounting radiators or anything else at grabbing height. If
you trip (or whatever) it's a natural response to grab the nearest thing.
So I like to make sure it can take the weight.

--
*Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Bert Coules March 24th 21 04:02 PM

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I fitted a vertical one to my shower cubical
fixed into a stud. In
practice, it's OK to use.

In this particular instance that would be possible only on one side of the
enclosure, since the other is half height and topped with glass.

For me, mainly to hang on to while washing one
foot at a time.

I think that's exactly the sort of use envisaged: an aid to balance rather
than a quick-grab resort in the event of a possible fall.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] March 24th 21 04:02 PM

Best hollow-wall fixings through tiles?

On 24/03/2021 11:28, Bert Coules wrote:
SH & Andrew, thanks for the idea of using a magnet (or more than one) to
detect plasterboard nails or screws.

Apart from a defunct microwave oven, what would be a source for a
suitably powerful magnet?

old loudspeaker or DC electric motor

--
€œIdeas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

- John K Galbraith

Steve Walker[_5_] March 24th 21 04:10 PM

On 24/03/2021 16:02, Bert Coules wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I fitted a vertical one to my shower cubical
fixed into a stud. In
practice, it's OK to use.

In this particular instance that would be possible only on one side of
the enclosure, since the other is half height and topped with glass.

For me, mainly to hang on to while washing one
foot at a time.

I think that's exactly the sort of use envisaged: an aid to balance
rather than a quick-grab resort in the event of a possible fall.

That may be what's envisaged, but it does need to have the strength to
withstand someone slipping and grabbing it to stay upright or at least
slow their fall, because someone starting to fall is going to grab
whatever they can.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] March 24th 21 05:09 PM

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I fitted a vertical one to my shower cubical
fixed into a stud. In
practice, it's OK to use.

In this particular instance that would be possible only on one side of
the enclosure, since the other is half height and topped with glass.

For me, mainly to hang on to while washing one
foot at a time.

I think that's exactly the sort of use envisaged: an aid to balance
rather than a quick-grab resort in the event of a possible fall.

I got a bit interested in this and went looking for the strength of tiles.

It looks like even crappy roof style tiles are around 10,000 psi for
pure compressive loading

Assuming te full weight of a human is going to end up on a surface are
of say 1/4" thick by 1/4" rawlplug diameter that's one sixteenth of
square inch so the stress of say a 15st hulk (210lb) at 3,360 psi is
not going to break the tile
What that means is that you can stand on a 1/4" square piece of metal on
a tile and not break it if its supported from below, and that actual
compressions strength on a properly grouted wall is simply not a problem.

The obvious failure mode is that you pull laterally and the whole
plasterboard wall collapses. Because that is plasterboard covered in
tiles in TENSION.

and its about ten times weaker in tension, but again that tension will
be spread out over the entire height of the wall, not 1/4" square.

Could a man support his weight on - say a horizontal batten screwed to a
bit of 400mm wide plasterboard, fastened with plasterboard screws to a
couple of studs?

I think he could, especially if covered in tiles.

In the end its a rather nasty version of a centre loaded end supported
beam, of rather broad width.

the failure mode here would be the plasterboard giving way along a grout
line.

Now the formula for a beam failure is that the tensile load in the face
of the beam where the pull is, should not exceed the tensile strength of
the material, and for a 16" wide bit of plasterboard of say 6" width
1/2" thick, we have approximately 8/.25=64 x 210 / 6 = 2000 psi. which
is above the 300 or so psi that plasterboard can handle.

What does THIS mean. It means you cant support a 15 stone man on a 6"
wide strip of plasterboard ceiling on 400mm studs no matter what the
attachment is.

Its doubtful even on an infinite width.

So the engineering problem is now what sort of attachment, but whether
or not the wall itself can stand the load under ANY sort of attachment

It is absolutely clear that a vertical load is AOK. the plasterboard and
ceramic composite is well able to handle the load and the tiles will
spread the stress concentration of a rawlplug just fine. What is now at
issue is how much lateral load can the wall take before it tears off the
studs and how likely a person grabbing for a handle would actually exter
in that direction.

Her wqe can consider the reverse case - -a person falling AGAINST a
plasterboard wall - will it break? My experience says it wont. That you
need a club hammer to punch a hole in a plasterboard wall, leaning or
falling against it is not enough .

What is the conclusion?

The first conclusion is that the type of fixing is irrelevant. Once the
wall is tiled it has sufficient strength due to the tile to handle any
sort of fixing, and my experience shows that whilst a plasterboard wall
is crap at taking a rawlplug, a tiled wall is brilliant.

The second conclusion is that the plasterboard wall itself - not the
fixing area - but the whole wall, is the weak spot from a lateral load.
You wont pull the rawlplugs out but you might *just* pull down the whole
wall section between the studs if you really really grabbed hard, or
jerked on it while falling

I think its *really unlikely*, but if it bothers you the ONLY solution
is to reinforce the plasterboard at that point and since that means
going in behind it, you might as well add a noggin.

Personally I simply would not bother.

Especially since there is generally a horizontal noggin about halfway up
a stud wall where you should be able to fix to it, or near it. That
changes the stress equations dramatically The beam equations that apply
are no longer 400mm load in middle supported at the ends, but a much
shorter - the vertical distance to the noggin - end supported cantilever.

If you have such you dont need to fasten into it, just near it, and the
job is done

You should be able to ID studs and noggins by tapping on the back side
of the wall.

--
€œI know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

ۥ Leo Tolstoy

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] March 24th 21 05:11 PM

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I fitted a vertical one to my shower cubical
fixed into a stud. In
practice, it's OK to use.

In this particular instance that would be possible only on one side of
the enclosure, since the other is half height and topped with glass.

For me, mainly to hang on to while washing one
foot at a time.

I think that's exactly the sort of use envisaged: an aid to balance
rather than a quick-grab resort in the event of a possible fall.

That may be what's envisaged, but it does need to have the strength to
withstand someone slipping and grabbing it to stay upright or at least
slow their fall, because someone starting to fall is going to grab
whatever they can.

I still think you would have a hard job ripping the wall down.
Because I can assure you that a rawlplug in a tile hole will not pull out

Josef Stalin

Bert Coules March 24th 21 05:45 PM

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I got a bit interested in this and went looking for the strength of tiles.

Many thanks for that: the details are fascinating.

This is nothing to do with structural strength and safety considerations,
but I've seen it said (both here and elsewhere) that if a wallplug is
inserted into a tiled wall such that the end of the plug is flush with the
face of the tile (any lip or flange on the plug having been removed) then
there's a danger that tightening the screw can cause enough lateral
expansion in the plug to crack the tile.

It would be mildly annoying to successfully have drilled the tiles and then
have that happen.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] March 24th 21 06:15 PM

On 24/03/2021 17:45, Bert Coules wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I got a bit interested in this and went looking for the strength of
tiles.

Many thanks for that: the details are fascinating.

This is nothing to do with structural strength and safety
considerations, but I've seen it said (both here and elsewhere) that if
a wallplug is inserted into a tiled wall such that the end of the plug
is flush with the face of the tile (any lip or flange on the plug having
been removed) then there's a danger that tightening the screw can cause
enough lateral expansion in the plug to crack the tile.

It would be mildly annoying to successfully have drilled the tiles and
then have that happen.

Never happened to me, but then I drill my holes exactly to IIRC 6mm
using a diamond core drill (got it in homebase for less than a tenner)
and use a red plug. I cannot emphasise enough how much better a diamond
core drill is than anything else when attacking brittle tiles - ceramic
or stone...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6mm-14mm-...K/363323216959

is the sort of thing and the exact plug is

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-...100-pack/35984

In practice all the expansion happens behind the tile - the screw
generally has a plain portion of shank and the plug has a large
diameter start section.

Experience has taught me to use exactly the right drill plug and screw.
If you end up using a bigger plug, get the right drill for it. And use
the right screw.

I have to say that no part of my house is actually done in plain cheap
white 3mm thick 'trade' tiles. So I can't answer for those.

"Saki"

Bert Coules March 24th 21 06:27 PM

Best hollow-wall fixings through tiles?

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Never happened to me, but then I drill my holes exactly to IIRC 6mm using
a diamond core drill (got it in homebase for less than a tenner) and use a
red plug.

Thanks for the links.

Is there a difference between a diamond core drill and a diamond *coated*
core drill? I ask because an earlier search turned up this set at what
seems an astonishingly low price:

https://tinyurl.com/kw3hxetc

alan_m March 24th 21 06:37 PM

Dave W wrote:

The grab rails have to withstand the full weight
of a person, so I wouldn't fancy using spring
toggles, which might break the plasterboard.

Under most circumstances the majority of the force would be directed
downwards rather than at ninety degrees away fro the walls, but I take
your point.Â* Wouldn't the tiling offer extra resistance though?

Wouldn't the forces depend on how the person slips or falls whilst
hanging on the the grab rail/

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] March 24th 21 06:43 PM

On 24/03/2021 18:27, Bert Coules wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Never happened to me, but then I drill my holes exactly to IIRC 6mm
using a diamond core drill (got it in homebase for less than a tenner)
and use a red plug.

Thanks for the links.

Is there a difference between a diamond core drill and a diamond
*coated* core drill?Â* I ask because an earlier search turned up this set
at what seems an astonishingly low price:

https://tinyurl.com/kw3hxetc

I think they are the same - that small one looks exactly like what I have.

I would not expect them to last, so buy for the job only

--
Its easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain