Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Free News Reader - Kind of OT

Hi all

Can anyone recommend a replacement for my current newsreader Sina App?

I've been using it for years, but more often than not recently the
scroll option freezes so I can't read the second half of long
posts without moving to google groups.

I use an android Hudl if anyone remembers these accessing content
via eternal-september.

Thanks

Phil

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 17:09, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

Can anyone recommend a replacement for my current newsreader Sina App?

I've been using it for years, but more often than not recently the
scroll option freezes so I can't read the second half of long
posts without moving to google groups.

I use an android Hudl if anyone remembers these accessing content
via eternal-september.

Thanks

Phil

I find the news feed from my ISP (Plusnet) to be as convenient as anything.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 27/02/2021 17:09, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

Can anyone recommend a replacement for my current newsreader Sina App?

I've been using it for years, but more often than not recently the
scroll option freezes so I can't read the second half of long
posts without moving to google groups.

I use an android Hudl if anyone remembers these accessing content
via eternal-september.

Thanks

Phil

I find the news feed from my ISP (Plusnet) to be as convenient as anything.

But thats not an Android newsreader....

Id be interested to hear of a half decent Android newsreader for my phone.
Ive used NewsGroup Reader by PiaoHong but its not great.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 27/02/2021 17:09, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

Can anyone recommend a replacement for my current newsreader Sina App?

I've been using it for years, but more often than not recently the
scroll option freezes so I can't read the second half of long
posts without moving to google groups.

I use an android Hudl if anyone remembers these accessing content
via eternal-september.

Thanks

Phil

I find the news feed from my ISP (Plusnet) to be as convenient as anything.

Yes, but you still need some sort of program to read the news. Do you
mean you're using your web browser?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Id be interested to hear of a half decent Android newsreader for my phone.

I think the consensus is, you won't find one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 17:09, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

Can anyone recommend a replacement for my current newsreader Sina App?

I've been using it for years, but more often than not recently the
scroll option freezes so I can't read the second half of long
posts without moving to google groups.

I'm really confused by why, for a long time since java apps on
blackberries and earlier PDA's, it's been difficult to find a decent
newsreader app for both tablets and mobile phones - without resorting to
google groups, which is, uuuughhh...

Thread display and navigation seems to be the challenge on a small screen.

I use an android Hudl if anyone remembers these accessing content
via eternal-september.

The Hudl2 has a great sharp 1280x1200 screen though. Perhaps if you can
hide a raspberry pi away in the corner and RDP/VNC/VPN into it, you can
make something like Thunderbird workable?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 27/02/2021 17:09, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

Can anyone recommend a replacement for my current newsreader Sina App?

I've been using it for years, but more often than not recently the
scroll option freezes so I can't read the second half of long
posts without moving to google groups.

I'm really confused by why, for a long time since java apps on
blackberries and earlier PDA's, it's been difficult to find a decent
newsreader app for both tablets and mobile phones - without resorting to
google groups, which is, uuuughhh...

Thread display and navigation seems to be the challenge on a small screen.

Why? Usenet news works *very* well in an 80 column text window so I
really can't see why a very similar text interface shouldn't work on a
mobile or tablet.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 20:21, Chris Green wrote:

Thread display and navigation seems to be the challenge on a small screen.

Why? Usenet news works *very* well in an 80 column text window so I
really can't see why a very similar text interface shouldn't work on a
mobile or tablet.

Hmmm, that is one answer ... Tin etc could work in a terminal emulator,
but it would need a virtual keyboard added for navigation keys losing
screen estate.

Compared with the rest of the phone/tablet GUI, and modern desktop
applications, this would seem a bit archaic, and chase them in the
direction of Google Groups.

Some users could be forgiving though ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 27/02/2021 17:09, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

Can anyone recommend a replacement for my current newsreader Sina App?

I've been using it for years, but more often than not recently the
scroll option freezes so I can't read the second half of long
posts without moving to google groups.

I use an android Hudl if anyone remembers these accessing content
via eternal-september.

I find the news feed from my ISP (Plusnet) to be as convenient as
anything.

He's talking about the client, not the server.

And given that its an android, he's SOL.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 27/02/2021 17:09, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

Can anyone recommend a replacement for my current newsreader Sina App?

I've been using it for years, but more often than not recently the
scroll option freezes so I can't read the second half of long
posts without moving to google groups.

I'm really confused by why, for a long time since java apps on
blackberries and earlier PDA's, it's been difficult to find a decent
newsreader app for both tablets and mobile phones - without resorting to
google groups, which is, uuuughhh...

The reason is obvious, tablets and mobile phones showed
up well after usenet died in the arse, so hardly anyone had
any interest in doing a news reader for those devices.

NewsTap for iphones and ipads is quite usable but
is irritatingly slow getting new posts.

Thread display and navigation seems to be the challenge on a small screen.

It works fine in NewsTap.

I use an android Hudl if anyone remembers these accessing content
via eternal-september.

The Hudl2 has a great sharp 1280x1200 screen though. Perhaps if you can
hide a raspberry pi away in the corner and RDP/VNC/VPN into it, you can
make something like Thunderbird workable?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 17:09, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

Can anyone recommend a replacement for my current newsreader Sina App?

I've been using it for years, but more often than not recently the
scroll option freezes so I can't read the second half of long
posts without moving to google groups.

I use an android Hudl if anyone remembers these accessing content
via eternal-september.

Groundhog.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 08:20 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER SIX HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 08:20:01 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

08:20??? LOL So you've been up and trolling since 01:48 (your first post
this night) ALL NIGHT LONG, yet again, you subnormal perverted senile swine!

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 17:55, Tim+ wrote:
newshound wrote:
On 27/02/2021 17:09, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

Can anyone recommend a replacement for my current newsreader Sina App?

I've been using it for years, but more often than not recently the
scroll option freezes so I can't read the second half of long
posts without moving to google groups.

I use an android Hudl if anyone remembers these accessing content
via eternal-september.

Thanks

Phil

I find the news feed from my ISP (Plusnet) to be as convenient as anything.

But thats not an Android newsreader....

Id be interested to hear of a half decent Android newsreader for my phone.
Ive used NewsGroup Reader by PiaoHong but its not great.

Tim

My bad, I read that as being a feed rather than a newsreader
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 18:04, Chris Green wrote:
newshound wrote:
On 27/02/2021 17:09, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

Can anyone recommend a replacement for my current newsreader Sina App?

I've been using it for years, but more often than not recently the
scroll option freezes so I can't read the second half of long
posts without moving to google groups.

I use an android Hudl if anyone remembers these accessing content
via eternal-september.

Thanks

Phil

I find the news feed from my ISP (Plusnet) to be as convenient as anything.

Yes, but you still need some sort of program to read the news. Do you
mean you're using your web browser?

No, brain not engaged. I read Sina App as being a news feed not a news
reader.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2021 10:24, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 21:29:27 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

And I for one am quite happy for the Farcebook generation to remain
ignorant. Used IRC heavily in the days of dial-up and high
international call charges to communicate to and fro when I had dealings
and travel to Asia.

The problem with low volume usage is it relies a little on charity and
ignorance to keep going. Not great for reliability.

However it amuses me all the media (and hence politicians) wittering on
about the Johnny-come-latelys of social media needing controlling. If I
wanted to communicate securely and anonymously, USENET was pretty much
made for the job. No need for any dodgy apps ...

Usenet is a distributed system and therefore hard to close down, unlike
IMDb comments pages a few years ago.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2021 10:24, Jethro_uk wrote:
The problem with low volume usage is it relies a little on charity and
ignorance to keep going. Not great for reliability.

All usenet requires is a set of mutually cooperative servers running a
protocol older than the Internet!

Plus a handful of clients that can access them

However it amuses me all the media (and hence politicians) wittering on
about the Johnny-come-latelys of social media needing controlling. If I
wanted to communicate securely and anonymously, USENET was pretty much
made for the job. No need for any dodgy apps ...

And come the Eternal September, armed with nothing more than kill files,
we dealt with trolls or indulged in flame wars whichever...The Snoflake
generation wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes back in the alt. hierarchy
back in the day.

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 21:46, Max Demian wrote:
On 27/02/2021 17:09, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

Can anyone recommend a replacement for my current newsreader Sina App?

I've been using it for years, but more often than not recently the
Â* scroll option freezes so I can't read the second half of long
Â* posts without moving to google groups.

I use an android Hudl if anyone remembers these accessing content
Â* via eternal-september.

Groundhog.

Groundhog was fine but doesn't work on modern devices as there's no menu
button. The virtual menu button (long press on "recent/switch") has gone
too. This leaves no way to get to Groundhog's configuration options,
though maybe this would help ...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ast.menubutton

I'll try it later ...

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 13:37:06 +0000, Reentrant
wrote:
[...]

Replying via Groundhog on a Galaxy S9, Android 10 with the menu
button emulator.
It works but is fairly clunky and displays ads in spite of Ublock and
Pihole.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Mine has Settings on the front screen and three dots on the bottom
right with various options. (Hudl 2; which the OP has).

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Hello Max

Does the above mean that you have got Groundhog working on a HUDL with
some degree of usability?

Thanks

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Groundhog was fine but doesn't work on modern devices as there's no

menu
button. The virtual menu button (long press on "recent/switch") has

gone
too. This leaves no way to get to Groundhog's configuration

options,
though maybe this would help ...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ast.menubutton

Mine has Settings on the front screen and three dots on the bottom
right with various options. (Hudl 2; which the OP has).

Hello Max

Does the above mean that you have got Groundhog working on a HUDL with
some degree of usability?

It works, and my previous post was using it. I've used it quite a lot in
the past but I prefer Thunderbird on Windows 7.

--
Max Demian