Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

Default I think they are called paddles

On my 17 year old Indesit washing machine, attached to the inside of the
drum are three plastic 'paddles' and each paddle has 6 thin grooved lugs
on the base to slot in to the 24swg stainless drum. Over the years these
items have been replaced many times, but now spares are becoming scarce.

The ideal fitting procedure is with the drum off, so the locking tab can
be wedged into place, but the locking tab is not visible from inside the
drum.

The main cause of failure seems to be when these paddles become very
slightly loose and the sharp edges of the drum cut the lugs off the
paddles. My proposal would now be to run some 'glue' under the edges of
these paddles to keep them fixed to the drum.

I would need something strong enough to retain the paddles for a wash and
spin cycle, even if 4 lugs were missing on each paddle, but the prime
action is to prevent the paddles from moving at all.

As far as I know, all the lugs are still in place at the moment, but I can
feel slight movement on 2 of the paddles.

What do you think would be a suitable product to secure these paddles as
this will be the final repair ?

PS: I don't think balance will be a problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 6:58:49 AM UTC, jon wrote:
[...]

17 year old Indesit? Don't think it owes you anything now
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
[...]

Agree with the above but it is fun to sometimes keep an old machine
soldiering on.

I suspect youll need an epoxy resin of some sort to bond stainless steel
and plastic together. It might (emphasis on might) help to apply heat with
a hair dryer to make it flow better under the edges of the paddles. Just a
thought.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2021 09:50, Tim+ wrote:
fred wrote:
[...]

Almost nothing bonds to plastics of the sort usually found in a washing
machine BUT car body filler is a product I used to reattach weights to a
plastic outer drum so I would try that.
It isn't 100% bond but it should stop wobbling

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can I ask if you tried epoxy resin? Ive just ordered new paddles for the second time after the tabs sheered off the last replacement set. I wondered if youd been successful as Im thinking of epoxy resin to stop them moving this time. (or has anyone else tried it please ?) thanks in advance

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-3100189-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 4:51:07 PM UTC+1, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I knew this was from home owners club from its complete lack of context or
quoting. I've not even looked yet to see how many years out of date it might
be.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Lou" wrote in message
roupdirect.com...
Can I ask if you tried epoxy resin? I've just ordered new paddles for the
second time after the tabs sheered off the last replacement set. I
wondered if you'd been successful as I'm thinking of epoxy resin to stop
them moving this time. (or has anyone else tried it please ?) thanks in
advance

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-3100189-.htm

Things are improving Brian, it is a reply to a thread just 2 months old.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

I knew this was from home owners club from its complete lack of context or
quoting.

I've not even looked yet to see how many years out of date it might be.

Only a couple of months this time.

"Lou" wrote in message
groupdirect.com...
Can I ask if you tried epoxy resin? I've just ordered new paddles for the
second time after the tabs sheered off the last replacement set. I
wondered if you'd been successful as I'm thinking of epoxy resin to stop
them moving this time. (or has anyone else tried it please ?) thanks in
advance

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-3100189-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 May 2021 07:22:43 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

JimK addressing senile Rodent Speed:
"I really feel the quality of your trolling has dropped in the last few
months..."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2021 16:31, Lou wrote:
Can I ask if you tried epoxy resin? Ive just ordered new paddles for
the second time after the tabs sheered off the last replacement set. I
wondered if youd been successful as Im thinking of epoxy resin to stop
them moving this time. (or has anyone else tried it please ?) thanks in
advance

Before replying again can you please read this:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lou wrote:
Can I ask if you tried epoxy resin? Ive just ordered new paddles for
the second time after the tabs sheered off the last replacement set. I
wondered if youd been successful as Im thinking of epoxy resin to stop
them moving this time. (or has anyone else tried it please ?) thanks in
advance

Epoxy breaks down with age, and presenting it with
environmental challenges (heat, UV light, water),
does not improve its disposition. Epoxy also smells
a bit, given a chance. You don't want to be smelling
that on your shirts.

Unfortunately, bad engineering is bad engineering.
If items don't have sufficient material to work with
(no thickness to take screws), then no amount of
cursing will keep the item on. I use #2 screws for
things that need "assistance", but the material has to be
thick enough so it does not crack where the screw goes in.

Maybe you could get someone in a machine shop
to make you a paddle out of something else.
It can't be steel, because that would rust and
leave stains on the clothes. The surface would
have to be polished smooth, to avoid damage
to the clothing (pure cottons are the first
to shred).

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

I think though, that site needs to have some way to offer quotes to the
poster,

I does, hardly anyone uses that feature.

if it wants to be taken seriously as a portal to the Usenet. It cannot be
hat hard, can it?

Clearly it isnt, because that site has that.

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

I knew this was from home owners club from its complete lack of context
or quoting.

I've not even looked yet to see how many years out of date it might be.

Only a couple of months this time.

"Lou" wrote in message
groupdirect.com...
Can I ask if you tried epoxy resin? I've just ordered new paddles for
the second time after the tabs sheered off the last replacement set. I
wondered if you'd been successful as I'm thinking of epoxy resin to
stop them moving this time. (or has anyone else tried it please ?)
thanks in advance

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-3100189-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Mon, 10 May 2021 21:42:38 -0400, Paul wrote:

Lou wrote:
[...]

Thanks Paul...I asked that question originally. I was thinking of flowing
some superglue between the plastic edge faces and the stainless drum, but
might need a bit of prep first, maybe using isopropyl alcohol for
degreasing any detergent/sediment between the faces.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lou wrote:
[...]

https://powermodo.com/is-super-glue-...lets-find-out/

"This is chiefly due to the fact that, the bond joint in a super glue
will weaken and break apart if it is constantly immersed or
dipped in water."

And I can verify that, based on experience keeping running shoes
bonded with it. It eventually gives up and needs to be re-applied.

The original bonding process relies on moisture in the air.

"Super glue is able to make two materials bond quickly due to
its rapid polymerization in the presence of water €“ which is
usually the humidity that is present in the air."

The bond works best if the excess material is squeezed out of the
joint. In theory, two flat steel plates, compressed with a vice, with
liquid super glue in between, should develop an excellent bond.
It cannot be poured on the outside of an object as a eealant,
as that is not what it's for.

There was one version of Super Glue, that worked a bit better with
porous materials, like wood and leather. The stuff at the store
now, is mostly the plain one (probably whatever was originally
patented).

*******

Epoxy puts on a good show at first, but with time, it
turns brown from exposure to UV. I've never found it to be
a permanent solution to a problem. Maybe if it had a
protective coating on top of it, it might work better.

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 May 2021 17:24:30 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll**** unread

--
Xeno to senile Rodent:
"You're a sad old man Rod, truly sad."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2021 06:58, jon wrote:
[...]

I know this might be seen as a silly idea; where access is an issue. I
have seen holes drilled in transmission bellhousings for instance to
access a component or check using a snake cam.

If you were to drill large holes in the top of the drum could you not
gain access to the offending tabs? Being at the top you would have good
access to reseal.

I am not confident that most glues will hold for long, the paddles get
quite a beating and most glues don't like submersion. There are some
exceptions, you can get marine epoxies.

By way of example have a look at Loctite Epoxy Marine. Not cheap though!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Loctite-Mar.../dp/B00KH62K50

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Tue, 11 May 2021 13:26:31 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

On 23/02/2021 06:58, jon wrote:
[...]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Loctite-Mar...ge-1405604/dp/

B00KH62K50

I can access the edges of the plastic paddles through the washing machine
door, really all I need is a reliable/flowable adhesive to penetrate the
mating faces. Normally the paddles lock into the slots in the drum, but
once they start to move more than just a few thou, the drum cuts through
the plastic legs. The locking mechanism relies on a bent piece of drum cut
out, which gets deformed over time.