Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default pipe for future elecs and net in trench?

I've dug a drainage trench for a rainwater pipe.

Before I fill it could I insert a pipe or two to take mains electricity and ethernet in the future?

What sort of pipes should I use,
perhaps with string inside,
how cheap can I go?

George
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles wrote in
:

I've dug a drainage trench for a rainwater pipe.

Before I fill it could I insert a pipe or two to take mains
electricity and ethernet in the future?

What sort of pipes should I use,
perhaps with string inside,
how cheap can I go?

George

I wish the powers that be would share your thinking at major road
junctions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 05:23:01 -0800, George Miles wrote:

I've dug a drainage trench for a rainwater pipe.

Before I fill it could I insert a pipe or two to take mains electricity
and ethernet in the future?

What sort of pipes should I use,
perhaps with string inside,
how cheap can I go?

George

Plastic pipe is fine; the bigger the better, really.
I rushed my installation and only used (quick check) 22mm I think.
Plenty of room for cable but perhaps a larger bore would have made
navigating the bends easier.
Noting that I still haven't pulled the Ethernet cable through and the
original green plastic cord must be getting on a bit by now.

So I would suggest 40mm white (or grey) plastic waste pipe to give you
more capacity and easier pulling.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 16 February 2021 at 14:44:47 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
[...]

+1 for the 40mm plastic pipe round here all the cable TV feeds to the houses are in about 40mm ducts. If you need to put a bend in then most waste pipe fittings are too sharp so you may have to bend some straight pipe with a bit of judicious use of boiling water to soften it and try to bend it with a generous sweep avoid putting any kinks in it. Some nylon rope/string should help to pull cable through at a later date with the advantage it will not rot should water get in but make sure you put double the length of the pipe in then you can always pull it back if you need to pull a further cable through.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2021 13:23, George Miles wrote:
I've dug a drainage trench for a rainwater pipe.

Before I fill it could I insert a pipe or two to take mains electricity and ethernet in the future?

What sort of pipes should I use,
perhaps with string inside,
how cheap can I go?

George

For those I'd use solvent welded drain pipe/string is good

But maybe its worth laying some armoured mains right now as well?

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2021 14:01, JohnP wrote:
George Miles wrote in
:

I've dug a drainage trench for a rainwater pipe.

Before I fill it could I insert a pipe or two to take mains
electricity and ethernet in the future?

What sort of pipes should I use,
perhaps with string inside,
how cheap can I go?

George

I wish the powers that be would share your thinking at major road
junctions.

The rule I learnt when wiring up office space is that no matter where
you ran the wires and left spare pairs, someone would always decide to
put the network printer and 6 workstations somewhere else...

...ive just ripped down half a wall and soldered a cat5 extension to an
unused phone socket to turn it into CAT 5 ethernet for the kitchen where
an internet cap[able TV and a WAP now sit, not envisioned in the
original design...

Room now repaired and filled and sanded ready for radical new decoration
scheme. Natural oak, duck green and a pale cream...

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote in
:

+1 for the 40mm plastic pipe round here all the cable TV feeds to the
houses are in about 40mm ducts. If you need to put a bend in then most
waste pipe fittings are too sharp so you may have to bend some
straight pipe with a bit of judicious use of boiling water to soften
it and try to bend it with a generous sweep avoid putting any kinks in
it.

Using 135deg bends solves the problem, I used 50mm uPVC to give a bit more
room,

You should still use cable suitable for direct burial as the pipe is bound
to suffer water ingress even if solvent weldpipe is used.