Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MiraScreen

When using Zoom etc in the kitchen, I plug the TV into the laptop via an
HDMI cable. Not only for the bigger picture, but to use the sound system
too.

But the cable is not only untidy but a trip hazard too.

So bought a MiraScreen HDMI dongle. Which powers up nicely from a USB
socket on the TV. Mirrors the laptop pic and sound on the TV via Wi-Fi.

After quite a bit of faffing around got it working OK.

But can't find a way of muting the laptop internal speakers. The laptop
sound system does not recognise MiraScreen as an alternative to them -
unlike the HDMI cable which showed the TV sound system, so you could
select the one you wanted.

Any suggestions other than a dummy jack into the headphone socket?

--
*Rehab is for quitters.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 14:33:16 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

When using Zoom etc in the kitchen, I plug the TV into the laptop via an
HDMI cable. Not only for the bigger picture, but to use the sound system
too.

But the cable is not only untidy but a trip hazard too.

So bought a MiraScreen HDMI dongle. Which powers up nicely from a USB
socket on the TV. Mirrors the laptop pic and sound on the TV via Wi-Fi.

After quite a bit of faffing around got it working OK.

But can't find a way of muting the laptop internal speakers. The laptop
sound system does not recognise MiraScreen as an alternative to them -
unlike the HDMI cable which showed the TV sound system, so you could
select the one you wanted.

Any suggestions other than a dummy jack into the headphone socket?

Stick a dummy jackplug in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jon wrote:
On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 14:33:16 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

When using Zoom etc in the kitchen, I plug the TV into the laptop via an
HDMI cable. Not only for the bigger picture, but to use the sound system
too.

But the cable is not only untidy but a trip hazard too.

So bought a MiraScreen HDMI dongle. Which powers up nicely from a USB
socket on the TV. Mirrors the laptop pic and sound on the TV via Wi-Fi.

After quite a bit of faffing around got it working OK.

But can't find a way of muting the laptop internal speakers. The laptop
sound system does not recognise MiraScreen as an alternative to them -
unlike the HDMI cable which showed the TV sound system, so you could
select the one you wanted.

Any suggestions other than a dummy jack into the headphone socket?

Stick a dummy jackplug in.

That was the Google answer. It kills both feeds.

But having a longer play, the latency over Wi-Fi is too great. Both
pictures and audio.

So playing again with the direct connection mode. Which seems tied in to
the laptop display settings. But to get a true duplicate, you need to load
the prog you want first (like say Zoom) Once connected, you don't seem to
be able to change it. But in that mode it does allow TV sound only - and
little or no latency. Slowly getting there. Help for it both paper and
online near non existent.

--
*Keep honking...I'm reloading.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 17:52:30 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
jon wrote:
[...]

Try this, right click on the sound icon in the bottom right tray on the
screen, go to 'open sound settings' and have a look at 'choose your sound
output device' see if the remote device is displayed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
jon wrote:
[...]

You might be able to install a virtual cable, send the sound to it,
and not use the output of the cable. And that would prevent sound
from going to the speakers. And since the virtual cable is still
running, the Mirascreen might still be copying the sound from before
that point and sending it to the TV set.

https://vb-audio.com/Cable/

VBCABLE_Driver_Pack43.zip
(1.09 MB - OCT 2015 / XP to WIN10 32/64 bits)

I think that cable might be a lazy way of fixing missing
Stereo Mix problems. I've not had reason here to test or use
that. During Zoom, I wear headphones. I don't care what it
looks like. I want clean sound, that's how I get it.

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 08:47:18 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Pair of headphones plugged in, are you sure it cannot be done in the
sound control panel bit of Windoze?
Brian

I remember trying to set up bluetooth sound connection to my remote
speakers and couldn't see the 'digital sound' item in the sound control
panel. In the end I had to connect a 3.5mm headset before it would show.
It seems to set a flag somewhere and stores this info.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
Pair of headphones plugged in, are you sure it cannot be done in the
sound control panel bit of Windoze?

Of course. But progs like Zoom allow you to select the speakers (and mic)
from a drop down menu. With the HDMI cable, the TV appeared as that.

--
*Sorry, I don't date outside my species.