Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radiator valve head replacement

I'm very confused to the different types of valves and heads, please can someone help? The temperatue control for one radiator at home stopped working. The plastic head is faulty and won't twist open or closed anymore. I've take it off and the pin in the valve functions fine, and the radiatior is thankfully now on full blast! So it seems like I just need to order a replacement plastic head but I don't know where to start. Can I just get any old one? They seem to be different sizes? The one I've got says "Lifestyle" and on the side, "0906". All the numbers are Roman. I can't find the same type on the internet so I wonder can I just get any old one that looks the same? Will it fit and work properly? What do I need to look for? Thank you community!!

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...t-3092462-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 February 2021 at 14:45:06 UTC, sam wrote:
[...]

I think what you are looking for is a TRV (thermostatic radiator valve). There are a number of different valve bodies but several manufacturers use the same types so bet take a photo of the valve body and nip down to your local plumbers merchant with both head and photo and they should be able to help you out.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2021 19:38, Tricky Dicky wrote:
[...]

The other approach is to see if you have a matching head on another
radiator, and take that to a good DIY store to look for a match. Do you
know any friendly plumbers? (but please offer them beer tokens).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Feb 2021 20:34:59 +0000, newshound wrote:
[...]

It looks like "lifestyle" is a Drayton brand - they seem to have changed
the branding from "Drayton Lifestyle" to just "Drayton" at some point. It
looks like this - https://www.screwfix.com/p/x/569HG - may be the correct
part. As it's only a tenner it might be worth a try anyway.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2021 20:54, Mike Humphrey wrote:
[...]

But if it's the older TRV3 then the thread size of current range is
different and conversion heads are really stupid money @ £50+.

The gotcha may be the Roman numerals for the settings which may indicate
Myson as a possible manufacturer. Probably a photo of the head is
advisable to rule out some brands/heads.

If the OP has some DIY central heating skills then a complete new TRV
may be cheaper than just buying a replacement head.

I wonder if the TRV has been forced beyond a limiting pin and removing
this pin will allow it to be moved back.

However none of the

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:
I think what you are looking for is a TRV (thermostatic radiator valve).
There are a number of different valve bodies but several manufacturers use
the same types so bet take a photo of the valve body and nip down to your
local plumbers merchant with both head and photo and they should be able
to help you out.

Hive has a good pictorial guide as to the different types of body:
https://www.hivehome.com/radiator-va...e/installation

(they will also send free adapters, even if you don't 'yet' own a Hive)

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2021 12:42, Theo wrote:
Tricky Dicky wrote:
I think what you are looking for is a TRV (thermostatic radiator valve).
There are a number of different valve bodies but several manufacturers use
the same types so bet take a photo of the valve body and nip down to your
local plumbers merchant with both head and photo and they should be able
to help you out.

Hive has a good pictorial guide as to the different types of body:
https://www.hivehome.com/radiator-va...e/installation

(they will also send free adapters, even if you don't 'yet' own a Hive)

Theo

Wouldn't a free adapter only fit the hive?