Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default You learn something new...

Got a form sent as an email attachment that I had to fill in and return by
email. In PDF format. Never seen this before and had thought most (free)
progs that can load a PDF are read only. Including Acrobat Reader, which
is my default app for PDFs.

To my surprise, a caret appeared in the dialogue boxes so I could fill
them in and save it as a PDF.

--
*Procrastinate now

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote

Got a form sent as an email attachment that I had to fill in and
return by email. In PDF format. Never seen this before and had
thought most (free) progs that can load a PDF are read only.
Including Acrobat Reader, which is my default app for PDFs.

To my surprise, a caret appeared in the dialogue
boxes so I could fill them in and save it as a PDF.

You can sign it too, sign a piece of paper, take a photo with the phone
and have that available to sign any more pdfs that show up later too.

Very elegant and convenient.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Feb 2021 00:51:44 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Got a form sent as an email attachment that I had to fill in and return by
email. In PDF format. Never seen this before and had thought most (free)
progs that can load a PDF are read only. Including Acrobat Reader, which
is my default app for PDFs.

To my surprise, a caret appeared in the dialogue boxes so I could fill
them in and save it as a PDF.

Yes pdf's can be made with fill-in boxes. I made one as a trial
membership form for a club.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Got a form sent as an email attachment that I had to fill in and return by
email. In PDF format. Never seen this before and had thought most (free)
progs that can load a PDF are read only. Including Acrobat Reader, which
is my default app for PDFs.

To my surprise, a caret appeared in the dialogue boxes so I could fill
them in and save it as a PDF.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Got a form sent as an email attachment that I had to fill in and return by
email. In PDF format. Never seen this before and had thought most (free)
progs that can load a PDF are read only. Including Acrobat Reader, which
is my default app for PDFs.

To my surprise, a caret appeared in the dialogue boxes so I could fill
them in and save it as a PDF.

I recently received a form like that from my GP.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes except I find that the idiots do not use accessible ways to do this so
most blind people cannot fill them out and need to ask for the form in a doc
format.
Incidentally the Census is coming up in march, is iit12th? They apparently
are asking everyone to do it on line this time. A big mistake, since most
people I know have issues with their tesco online orders, never mind the
complication of a census.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Got a form sent as an email attachment that I had to fill in and return by
email. In PDF format. Never seen this before and had thought most (free)
progs that can load a PDF are read only. Including Acrobat Reader, which
is my default app for PDFs.

To my surprise, a caret appeared in the dialogue boxes so I could fill
them in and save it as a PDF.

--
*Procrastinate now

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 13:14:05 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

To my surprise, a caret appeared in the dialogue
boxes so I could fill them in and save it as a PDF.

You can sign it too, sign a piece of paper, take a photo with the phone
and have that available to sign any more pdfs that show up later too.

Very elegant and convenient.

Nothing elegant or convenient about it, just showy, you lonely senile idiot
whose ONLY joy in life is trolling on Usenet, fiddling around with
electronical gadgets and talking to Alexa!

--
Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Got a form sent as an email attachment that I had to fill in and return by
email. In PDF format. Never seen this before and had thought most (free)
progs that can load a PDF are read only. Including Acrobat Reader, which
is my default app for PDFs.

If you click on the tab "Sign" and select "Fill and Sign", then,
unless the security settings prevent it, you can write on, and
save, any document.

Granted, it is a lot easier if they have set it up to fill in,
but I find it useful for completing those tiny CN 22 customs
forms, which I guess we will have to use even more these days.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Got a form sent as an email attachment that I had to fill in and return by
email. In PDF format. Never seen this before and had thought most (free)
progs that can load a PDF are read only. Including Acrobat Reader, which
is my default app for PDFs.

To my surprise, a caret appeared in the dialogue boxes so I could fill
them in and save it as a PDF.

Acrobat Forms. I think

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote in
:

Granted, it is a lot easier if they have set it up to fill in,
but I find it useful for completing those tiny CN 22 customs
forms, which I guess we will have to use even more these days.

It getting more complicated, an increasing number of countries are
requiring customs progress to be trackable meaning that if your method of
dispatch isn't tracked eg. RM International Standard then you need to use a
barcoded CN22 (a CN22B) which is not available to fill in electronically.

My workaround is to complete the latest digital CN22 pdf form from the RM
website then snip the barcode off a Post Office supplied CN22B and stick it
immediately below as if it were part of the original form.

Be aware that not all POs are up to speed on this and will offer you the
uncoded CN22A which is for tracked shipping only and also will not order in
more CN22Bs when they run out as they think the CN22As will work fine. They
will, for a while but they may incur greater customs delays and eventually
will not be accepted.

The US is currently most strict leading to RM's introduction of World Zone
3 at increased cost, purely for the US.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Got a form sent as an email attachment that I had to fill in and return by
email. In PDF format. Never seen this before and had thought most (free)
progs that can load a PDF are read only. Including Acrobat Reader, which
is my default app for PDFs.

To my surprise, a caret appeared in the dialogue boxes so I could fill
them in and save it as a PDF.

Yup the PDF format supports forms, and most viewers will allow them to
be viewed and filled. (although the default iPhone PDF viewer used to
fail to show form layers in the documents).

You can also write Javascript code that links in with each element of
the form content as well. So you can add validation and calculations to
a form. For example I used to use a PDF form for doing invoices, and it
will total up all the line entries, and the bottom line, plus VAT etc
all by itself.

Historically you needed to have the full paid for version of Acrobat to
do create that kind of stuff and not just the reader.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2021 08:51, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Incidentally the Census is coming up in march, is iit12th? They apparently
are asking everyone to do it on line this time. A big mistake, since most
people I know have issues with their tesco online orders, never mind the
complication of a census.

We're going to have to decide which sex we want to be and what is our
sexual orientation. I wonder whether fetishes count?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2021 11:37, Max Demian wrote:
On 02/02/2021 08:51, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Â* Incidentally theÂ* Census is coming up in march, is iit12th? They
apparently
are asking everyone to do it on line this time. A big mistake, since most
people I know have issues with their tesco online orders, never mind the
complication of a census.

We're going to have to decide which sex we want to be and what is our
sexual orientation. I wonder whether fetishes count?

totly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2021 08:51, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes except I find that the idiots do not use accessible ways to do this so
most blind people cannot fill them out and need to ask for the form in a doc
format.
Incidentally the Census is coming up in march, is iit12th? They apparently
are asking everyone to do it on line this time. A big mistake, since most
people I know have issues with their tesco online orders, never mind the
complication of a census.
Brian

Which should also mean the 1921 census is now, or soon to be
available for public inspection.