Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dentists

What is the story with dentists are they open for non essential
things?....been hearing conflicting stories...I have broken a tooth no
pain or anything will I be treated or will I have to go private and why
are people being treated privatly and not under NHS for non essential
things??????
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimmy Stewart wrote:

What is the story with dentists are they open for non essential
things?

Don't think so. Mine did an extraction that was cancelled last year,
but didn't even want to book a six month check-up after that was done.

....been hearing conflicting stories...I have broken a tooth no
pain or anything will I be treated or will I have to go private

I'd say you should get it without going private, my extraction was at
NHS prices.

and why
are people being treated privatly and not under NHS for non essential
things??????

Mine's aware I want to go ahead with some private crowns and fillings,
he gave me a copy of the quote which I'd lost, but still no news on when.

The new ways of working must really knock their productivity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jimmy Stewart wrote:

What is the story with dentists are they open for non essential
things?....been hearing conflicting stories...I have broken a tooth no
pain or anything will I be treated or will I have to go private and why
are people being treated privatly and not under NHS for non essential
things??????

You need to phone and tell them about the broken tooth, and say that you
are worried about it degenerating: would they have a look at it please?

They may put you on the waiting list -- in which case you ring back in 3
or 4 weeks and remind them that you exist, with this problem. Or they
will give you an appointment right away: they really don't like people
to suffer. (no irony intended)

I'm going on my own experience in (?) last September - broken filling
repaired (on NHS).

It was all a bit farcical: I couldn't tell what any of them were saying,
behind the extreme PPE they were all wearing; and it was one-out, one-in
(to the _building_) -- I had to be there on the pavement at the exact
time of my appointment.

Good luck!

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2021 19:34, Jimmy Stewart wrote:
What is the story with dentists are they open for non essential
things?....been hearing conflicting stories...I have broken a tooth no
pain or anything will I be treated or will I have to go private and why
are people being treated privatly and not under NHS for non essential
things??????

Just had my routine six monthly check scale and polish, although it was
delayed about 3 months. And wife has just had a non-emergency
extraction. This is a very long-established family practice that "went
private" after one too many bits of NHS bureaucracy about 30 years ago
but seems to be broadly competitive with NHS charges and is widely used
by "ordinary" people. AFAIK the NHS surgery at the other side of town is
still operating too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2021 22:09, Another John wrote:

they really don't like people
to suffer. (no irony intended)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoWom0CCRKM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:

it was one-out, one-in (to the_building_) -- I had to be there on the
pavement at the exact time of my appointment.

With mine, you arrived in the car park 15 minutes before, let them know
you were there and they called you back to come-in, emptied your pockets
into a plastic box, took your temperature with an ir thermometer and
straight in for treatment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2021 19:34, Jimmy Stewart wrote:
What is the story with dentists are they open for non essential
things?....been hearing conflicting stories...I have broken a tooth no
pain or anything will I be treated or will I have to go private and why
are people being treated privatly and not under NHS for non essential
things??????

I had a broken tooth last week. I had it fixed within 90 minutes of
realising it had happened, standard NHS. No temperature, or waiting.

What did surprise me is no drill, prior to filling, do they have some
new tool that replaces drills?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2021 19:34, Jimmy Stewart wrote:
What is the story with dentists are they open for non essential
things?....been hearing conflicting stories...I have broken a tooth no
pain or anything will I be treated or will I have to go private and why
are people being treated privatly and not under NHS for non essential
things??????

Jimmy,

Similar situation. Broke a tooth just before Christmas. Was a bit sharp,
so they put a temprary filling on. Went back last week and had it
extracted it and made be a new denture. Round about £60 so NHS price.

If you have a broken tooth it does need attention. Give them a ring.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Pancho wrote:
What did surprise me is no drill, prior to filling, do they have some
new tool that replaces drills?

IIRC, they're not doing anything involving drilling a tooth, as that
sprays possibly infected aerosol round the room. So likely a temporary
filling.

--
*Half the people in the world are below average.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 19:34:49 +0000, Jimmy Stewart wrote:

What is the story with dentists are they open for non essential
things?....been hearing conflicting stories...I have broken a tooth no
pain or anything will I be treated or will I have to go private and why
are people being treated privatly and not under NHS for non essential
things??????

I removed a wisdom tooth recently, worked on it for a while until very
loose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2021 05:59, jon wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 19:34:49 +0000, Jimmy Stewart wrote:

What is the story with dentists are they open for non essential
things?....been hearing conflicting stories...I have broken a tooth no
pain or anything will I be treated or will I have to go private and why
are people being treated privatly and not under NHS for non essential
things??????

I removed a wisdom tooth recently, worked on it for a while until very
loose.

I have the DIY Dentistry book you can have....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Streater
wrote:
On 29 Jan 2021 at 21:13:40 GMT, Andy Burns wrote:

Jimmy Stewart wrote:

What is the story with dentists are they open for non essential
things?

Don't think so. Mine did an extraction that was cancelled last year,
but didn't even want to book a six month check-up after that was done.

....been hearing conflicting stories...I have broken a tooth no pain
or anything will I be treated or will I have to go private

I'd say you should get it without going private, my extraction was at
NHS prices.

and why are people being treated privatly and not under NHS for

non essential things??????

Mine's aware I want to go ahead with some private crowns and fillings,
he gave me a copy of the quote which I'd lost, but still no news on
when.

The new ways of working must really knock their productivity.

I had some stuff done last July but that was work that had been started
and not completed last January. And it was the quiet period of this covid
business.

I've only ever had private dentistry, both when overseas for 25 years and
in the 25 years since returning. People talk about NHS dentistry but I've
never come across it, all I've heard is tales of people saying that
dentists' lists are full and you can't find it.

I have a friend who was, after NHS treatment, orderd to present herself at
a not very local hospital so that the dentist's work could be checked.
It's on the form you sign, but nobody looks at the small print.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Pancho wrote:
What did surprise me is no drill, prior to filling, do they have some
new tool that replaces drills?

IIRC, they're not doing anything involving drilling a tooth, as that
sprays possibly infected aerosol round the room. So likely a temporary
filling.

My implant, due to be done last April, involved drilling into my jaw. Done
in November. I return on Friday to have the biting bit added. They do
drill, but try to avoid it as the room need to be completely sanitised
afterwards. The good thing was that the 'scale and polish' was done
entuirely by hand.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 19:34:49 +0000, Jimmy Stewart wrote:

What is the story with dentists are they open for non essential
things?....been hearing conflicting stories...I have broken a tooth no
pain or anything will I be treated or will I have to go private and why
are people being treated privatly and not under NHS for non essential
things??????

Mine was one of the emergency centres, so has a lot of experience now.
A week or so ago had an e-mail saying that the hygenist was now working and
could offer the full range including Airflow - that's a good way of
generating a long-range mist.
I've an appointment in April. Second jab due at about the same time, so
might change appointment to about a month later.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message

Jimmy Stewart wrote:

[...]

on pain of what happening if they didn't do it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Seems very much to depend on what the dentist thinks is serious. If its a
potentially worsening condition then most would rather fix it now than have
to extract a tooth later to the disgruntlement of the patient.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jimmy Stewart" wrote in message
What is the story with dentists are they open for non essential
things?....been hearing conflicting stories...I have broken a tooth no
pain or anything will I be treated or will I have to go private and why
are people being treated privatly and not under NHS for non essential
things??????

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dental work involving drilling creates a lot of
aerosols. If the patient was an asymptomatic carrier
then the dentist and his assistant are at risk so
a deep clean would be needed after every patient just
to be sure to be sure.

Also,what if the dentist is an asymptomatic carrier ?.
Almost impossible to protect the patient.

Andrew

On 30/01/2021 10:05, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Actually, its a bit of a mixed bag at the moment it seems. Obviously, nobody
wants to get covid or spread it, but really common sense hygiene should
always be the goal in any medical situation.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2021 10:33, Andrew wrote:

Dental work involving drilling creates a lot of
aerosols. If the patient was an asymptomatic carrier
then the dentist and his assistant are at risk so
a deep clean would be needed after every patient just
to be sure to be sure.

Also,what if the dentist is an asymptomatic carrier ?.
Almost impossible to protect the patient.

Back to itinerant tooth-pullers with market stalls, I guess. (All right
because it's outdoors.)

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2021 22:42, Andy Burns wrote:

Another John wrote:

it was one-out, one-in (to the_building_) -- I had to be there on the
pavement at the exact time of my appointment.

With mine, you arrived in the car park 15 minutes before, let them know
you were there and they called you back to come-in, emptied your pockets
into a plastic box, took your temperature with an ir thermometer and
straight in for treatment.

What's supposed to be in your pockets that's so dangerous?

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 30/01/2021 09:38, tim... wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , Tim Streater
wrote:
On 29 Jan 2021 at 21:13:40 GMT, Andy Burns wrote:

Jimmy Stewart wrote:

Â* What is the story with dentists are they open for non essential
Â* things?

Don't think so.Â* Mine did an extraction that was cancelled last year,
but didn't even want to book a six month check-up after that was done.

....been hearing conflicting stories...I have broken a tooth no pain
Â* or anything will I be treated or will I have to go private

I'd say you should get it without going private, my extraction was at
NHS prices.

Â* and why are people being treated privatly and not under NHS for
Â*Â*Â* non essential things??????

[...]

Put the broken tooth back, maybe?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

they called you back to come-in, emptied your pockets into a
plastic box, took your temperature with an ir thermometer and
straight in for treatment.

What's supposed to be in your pockets that's so dangerous?

Dunno, but I suppose if everything is "confiscated" nobody has to think
which items are, or aren't a risk, they did warn in advance it would
happen, so all I had in my pockets were keys and wallet, left phone in car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 30/01/2021 10:33, Andrew wrote:
Dental work involving drilling creates a lot of
aerosols. If the patient was an asymptomatic carrier
then the dentist and his assistant are at risk so
a deep clean would be needed after every patient just
to be sure to be sure.

Also,what if the dentist is an asymptomatic carrier ?.
Almost impossible to protect the patient.

Andrew

I had a replacement crown fitted by my dentist. A bit of drilling was
needed, and both the dentist and his assistant put on one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/trend-ste...mask-p3r/346fh

The room has a recirculating air filter. I assume it's HEPA. They clean
all the main surfaces between patients, anyway. So, some reasonable
precautions.

I have put off my dental checkup until after I hope that I have my
vaccination.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:

Max Demian wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

they called you back to come-in, emptied your pockets into a
plastic box, took your temperature with an ir thermometer and
straight in for treatment.

What's supposed to be in your pockets that's so dangerous?

Dunno, but I suppose if everything is "confiscated" nobody has to think
which items are, or aren't a risk, they did warn in advance it would
happen, so all I had in my pockets were keys and wallet, left phone in
car.

Must know of personally lots who have had the vaccine. And no one has
reported having to empty their pockets. I really can't think of any good
reason to have to do so. Although having to leave your phone at the door
would be appreciated by many others. ;-)

--
*Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2021 11:12, Andy Burns wrote:

Max Demian wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

they called you back to come-in, emptied your pockets into a
plastic box, took your temperature with an ir thermometer and
straight in for treatment.

What's supposed to be in your pockets that's so dangerous?

Dunno, but I suppose if everything is "confiscated" nobody has to think
which items are, or aren't a risk, they did warn in advance it would
happen, so all I had in my pockets were keys and wallet, left phone in car.

That must be the 'anti terrorism' training that thwarted so
many ex-medical/nursing volunteers :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Jan 2021 at 19:34:49 GMT, "Jimmy Stewart"
wrote:

What is the story with dentists are they open for non essential
things?....been hearing conflicting stories...I have broken a tooth no
pain or anything will I be treated or will I have to go private and why
are people being treated privatly and not under NHS for non essential
things??????

Thing on R4 that suggested they're being perversely incentivised to carry out
more face to face work - or lose a big chunk of their pay. I'm due to go on
Tuesday for a broken tooth. Don't look forward to it at the best of times . .

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jan 2021 at 18:54:05 GMT, "Owain Lastname"
wrote:

On Saturday, 30 January 2021 at 13:48:25 UTC, RJH wrote:
Thing on R4 that suggested they're being perversely incentivised to carry
out
more face to face work - or lose a big chunk of their pay. I'm due to go on
Tuesday for a broken tooth. Don't look forward to it at the best of times .
.

Take a water bottle with you. When I went the other week they'd removed all
the mouthwash and couldn't give me anything to rinse with.

Thanks - will do.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What is the story with dentists are they open for non essential
things?....been hearing conflicting stories...I have broken a tooth no
pain or anything will I be treated or will I have to go private and why
are people being treated privatly and not under NHS for non essential
things??????

Thing on R4 that suggested they're being perversely incentivised to carry out
more face to face work - or lose a big chunk of their pay. I'm due to go on
Tuesday for a broken tooth. Don't look forward to it at the best of times . .

I'm phoning mine tomorrow about my broken tooth....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

they called you back to come-in, emptied your pockets into a
plastic box, took your temperature with an ir thermometer and
straight in for treatment.

What's supposed to be in your pockets that's so dangerous?

Dunno, but I suppose if everything is "confiscated" nobody has to think
which items are, or aren't a risk, they did warn in advance it would
happen, so all I had in my pockets were keys and wallet, left phone in car.

Surely that puts everyone at more risk of a virus transfer? You are
transferring objects to a third party and then they are transferring
them back to you. Other, non medical, establishments would prefer
non-contact procedures. I assume the box was FULLY sterilised before you
placed you pocket contents in the box or else you have the risk of the
previous contents contaminating yours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2021 13:37, Andrew wrote:

That must be the 'anti terrorism' training that thwarted so
many ex-medical/nursing volunteers :-)

But so badly implemented as they did ask for shoes to be removed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What is the story with dentists are they open for non essential
things?....been hearing conflicting stories...I have broken a tooth no
pain or anything will I be treated or will I have to go private and why
are people being treated privatly and not under NHS for non essential
things??????

Thing on R4 that suggested they're being perversely incentivised to
carry out
more face to face work - or lose a big chunk of their pay. I'm due to
go on
Tuesday for a broken tooth. Don't look forward to it at the best of
times . .

I'm phoning mine tomorrow about my broken tooth....

The Youtube video of it was posted ages ago ???
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

if everything is "confiscated" nobody has to think which items are,
or aren't a risk, they did warn in advance it would happen, so all
I had in my pockets were keys and wallet, left phone in car.

Surely that puts everyone at more risk of a virus transfer? You are
transferring objects to a third party and then they are transferring
them back to you.

I put them in the box, they close the box, take it away for safekeeping,
later I took them back out, and they spray the box with D10(?) for the
next patient.

Other, non medical, establishments would prefer
non-contact procedures. I assume the box was FULLY sterilised before you
placed you pocket contents in the box or else you have the risk of the
previous contents contaminating yours.

Yes.

IT night all be hygiene theatre, or it might just be designed so nobody
cab ask "can I bring in X?" or "she brought in Y so why can't I bring
Z?" answer is always "no" with no thinking required.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
alan_m wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

[...]

Someone there had a bee in their bonnet. There is no point in emptying
pockets for hygiene reasons. Unless you take off all your clothes too, and
have a serious wash.

If you had change in your pocket, hope you counted it. ;-)

--
*IS THERE ANOTHER WORD FOR SYNONYM?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Someone there had a bee in their bonnet. There is no point in emptying
pockets for hygiene reasons. Unless you take off all your clothes too, and
have a serious wash.

Perhaps it's just leave you knives and guns at the door before you come
it. But if warned first as the OP suggests then you just slide them down
the side of your sock!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

Someone there had a bee in their bonnet. There is no point in emptying
pockets for hygiene reasons. Unless you take off all your clothes too, and
have a serious wash.

Perhaps it's just leave you knives and guns at the door before you come
it. But if warned first as the OP suggests then you just slide them down
the side of your sock!

Crikey. You must have some heavy duty OAPs round your way. ;-)

When I went for mine you'd have your work cut out searching the
wheelchairs.

--
*In some places, C:\ is the root of all directories *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Pancho wrote:
What did surprise me is no drill, prior to filling, do they have some
new tool that replaces drills?

IIRC, they're not doing anything involving drilling a tooth, as that
sprays possibly infected aerosol round the room. So likely a temporary
filling.

Pick the worst insult you can give someone for being right and apply it
to yourself.

The filling fell out this morning, so I guess drilling is an important
part of the process.

Note to self: do not be smug on usenet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pancho wrote:

The filling fell out this morning

one of those "chalky" temporary fillings? Never had one last more than
a day or two, total waste of time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Pancho wrote:
It was a normal ultraviolet hardened one. The dentist didn't say it was
temporary. The other side had a lateral incisor done similarly in '85,
still going strong. Speaking from a position of considerable ignorance,
I reckon it fell out because the dentist didn't clean it out with a
drill.

A filling usually falls out due to rot behind it. So replacing without
removing that rot is a bit like welding to rust. ;-)

--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery*