Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Masks again - FFP vented and unvented. When to discard? [Long]

As I understand it FFPn masks are designed and tested to protect the
wearer.

There are at least two variants - ones with an exhaust valve and ones
without.

If you take the WHO advice to wear at least FFP2 or equivalent then you
should be (at lest somewhat) protected against Covid19.
The vented models don't protect anyone else.

The unvented models presumably protect others as well, by filtering the
exhaling, but are they tested for this?
Then again, I assume that they should be at least as effective as the home
made cloth masks.

Sensible options seem to be to wear an unvented mask, or wear a vented
mask with a cloth mask over the top.

Two more questions.

(1) FFPn masks are usually used (at least by DIYers) to filter dust and
other particulates when using power tools and the like which generate dust.
How long should one use a disposable mask before disposing?

Shortest time might be drilling one hole in a wall or a quick belt (!)
with a sander. This seems a waste of a mask if it is discarded after just
a couple of minutes use.

Longest time might be "I replace it every January if it needs it or not.".
There must be a point where the filter has given of its best and is
clogged.

No apply this to an FFP2 mask used for shopping.
Pop into the Chemist for two minutes, then discard?
Seems wasteful.

Use for all of shopping day?

Use for a week then swap?

To me a difficult question because I don't know the risk of contamination
by first use spreading to the filter. In any case both vented and unvented
are filtering the incoming air in the same way (presumably) so the vent
should not be an issue for this calculation.
However the unvented stores your own exhalation as well, which might
encourage viral growth via moisture.
Unless of course you are double masking with a washable or disposable mask
and a vented mask.

(2) How do you find a reliable supplier?
If you use Amazon then you are usually safe using Amazon own product, but
less so using Marketplace.
Using eBay or etsy and you seem to be on your own.
Well known high street names don't seem to have any face masks in stock.
Screwfix stocks an FFP2 mask but that is vented.

So many questions, so little time!

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 27/01/2021 12:25, David wrote:

The vented models don't protect anyone else.

I don't agree. For two reasons:

1. There's a bit of a labyrinth for exhaled breath to pass through the
valve, and this will stop quite a lot of the droplets. In a cold room,
my masks leave a little condensate trail around the place!

In any case, unless extraordinarily well fitting, with very tight
straps, a lot of the exhaled breath from unvalved masks comes out round
the edge.

2. If you protect yourself really well, then you're a lot less likely to
be spreading virus in the first place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2021 12:25, David wrote:

(2) How do you find a reliable supplier?
If you use Amazon then you are usually safe using Amazon own product, but
less so using Marketplace.
Using eBay or etsy and you seem to be on your own.
Well known high street names don't seem to have any face masks in stock.
Screwfix stocks an FFP2 mask but that is vented.

I've used Mask Bros - for FFP2 masks. There is a choice of various "models"
https://maskbros.co.uk/

During the initial lockdown they seemed to be only source selling at a
reasonable price and with a 48 hour (working day) delivery. This was at
a time when mask prices were inflated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 13:44:12 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 27/01/2021 12:25, David wrote:

(2) How do you find a reliable supplier?
If you use Amazon then you are usually safe using Amazon own product,
but less so using Marketplace.
Using eBay or etsy and you seem to be on your own.
Well known high street names don't seem to have any face masks in
stock. Screwfix stocks an FFP2 mask but that is vented.

I've used Mask Bros - for FFP2 masks. There is a choice of various
"models"
https://maskbros.co.uk/

During the initial lockdown they seemed to be only source selling at a
reasonable price and with a 48 hour (working day) delivery. This was at
a time when mask prices were inflated.

Thanks.
Ordered some.

Personal recommendations are good.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I use reusable masks supposedly treated with an anti viral which recons to
be good for20 washes. I'm afraid having tried the more medial ones, I simply
could not function due to the effort of breathing in one. If they like the
French specify those I will have to ask for an exception.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"David" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Jan 2021 12:25:12 GMT, David wrote:

[...]

Early on I got vented washable masks that come with replaceable FP2
(PM2.5) filters.

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/washable-...ter-beige.html

Filter packs of 10 are also available separately.

I don't go out often and the times between going out are beyond the
stated life of the virus so at worst/best I take a filter out and put
it on one side and use another and rotate.

No idea on the efficacy. I'm in the 70+ group and awaiting my vaccine
letter/notification and hoping I can avoid contracting it before I'm
fully done.

So many questions, so little time!

So many questions so many unknowns still. Just make sure you sing
Happy Birthday regularly and you'll be fine.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?