Arty Flinders

Default Lidl's plumbing kit?

I saw this kit in Lidl yesterday. Thought perhaps some of the tools
were for pipe bending, which I do fairly often but it seems they're
for putting thread onto pipes.
I know the old iron pipes used to be threaded but what modern plumbing
pipework has threads cut into it these days?
--
Arty

"Mindless violence causes computer games."
A. Flinders
EricP

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 13:27:30 +0100, Arty Flinders
wrote:

I saw this kit in Lidl yesterday. Thought perhaps some of the tools
were for pipe bending, which I do fairly often but it seems they're
for putting thread onto pipes.
I know the old iron pipes used to be threaded but what modern plumbing
pipework has threads cut into it these days?

Lots but rarely at DIY level.
I thought it was a bending set, apparently like you did. That's why
it's still on their shelves, no use for it.

Tim Mitchell

In article , Arty Flinders
writes
I saw this kit in Lidl yesterday. Thought perhaps some of the tools
were for pipe bending, which I do fairly often but it seems they're
for putting thread onto pipes.
I know the old iron pipes used to be threaded but what modern plumbing
pipework has threads cut into it these days?

Probably for metal electrical conduit
--
Tim Mitchell
Arty Flinders

wrote:

I saw this kit in Lidl yesterday. Thought perhaps some of the tools
were for pipe bending, which I do fairly often but it seems they're
for putting thread onto pipes.
I know the old iron pipes used to be threaded but what modern plumbing
pipework has threads cut into it these days?

Lots but rarely at DIY level.

Might it be an economical option to buy the kit and migrate to this
type of fitting?

I thought it was a bending set, apparently like you did. That's why
it's still on their shelves, no use for it.

Yes, there were rather a lot of them on the pile.

--
Arty

"Mindless violence causes computer games."
A. Flinders
Arty Flinders

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 14:27:11 +0100, Tim Mitchell
wrote:

In article , Arty Flinders
writes
I saw this kit in Lidl yesterday. Thought perhaps some of the tools
were for pipe bending, which I do fairly often but it seems they're
for putting thread onto pipes.
I know the old iron pipes used to be threaded but what modern plumbing
pipework has threads cut into it these days?

Probably for metal electrical conduit

I did wonder if such activities were considered as "plumbing".
But then, what other than lead-work is?
--
Arty

"Mindless violence causes computer games."
A. Flinders

Tim Mitchell

In article , Arty Flinders
writes
On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 14:27:11 +0100, Tim Mitchell
wrote:

In article , Arty Flinders
writes
I saw this kit in Lidl yesterday. Thought perhaps some of the tools
were for pipe bending, which I do fairly often but it seems they're
for putting thread onto pipes.
I know the old iron pipes used to be threaded but what modern plumbing
pipework has threads cut into it these days?

Probably for metal electrical conduit

I did wonder if such activities were considered as "plumbing".

Does sound a bit unlikely
--
Tim Mitchell
:::Jerry::::

"Arty Flinders" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 14:27:11 +0100, Tim Mitchell
wrote:

In article , Arty Flinders
writes
I saw this kit in Lidl yesterday. Thought perhaps some of the tools
were for pipe bending, which I do fairly often but it seems they're
for putting thread onto pipes.
I know the old iron pipes used to be threaded but what modern plumbing
pipework has threads cut into it these days?

Probably for metal electrical conduit

I did wonder if such activities were considered as "plumbing".
But then, what other than lead-work is?

Compressed air distribution ? Most still use galvanised steel pipe and
threaded fittings.

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Arty Flinders wrote:

I know the old iron pipes used to be threaded

I've done that! ******* hard work, it is. Plumbers must have been muscly
buggers years ago.

Si

Arty Flinders

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 18:16:10 +0100, "Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:

Arty Flinders wrote:

I know the old iron pipes used to be threaded

I've done that! ******* hard work, it is. Plumbers must have been muscly
buggers years ago.

Si

Good alternative to a gym subscription.
Worth a small fortune in savings on trendy sweatwear alone.

--
Arty

"Mindless violence causes computer games."
A. Flinders
Badger

wrote:

I saw this kit in Lidl yesterday. Thought perhaps some of the tools
were for pipe bending, which I do fairly often but it seems they're
for putting thread onto pipes.
I know the old iron pipes used to be threaded but what modern plumbing
pipework has threads cut into it these days?

Lots but rarely at DIY level.

And its going out in industrial use too, tube systems such as Swagelok
taking over most of it, though a number of equipments still have iso/bsp
threaded fittings.....

Badger

Mary Fisher

"Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
Arty Flinders wrote:

I know the old iron pipes used to be threaded

I've done that! ******* hard work, it is. Plumbers must have been muscly
buggers years ago.

They were. Spouse was taught by a Master Plumber, a true artist and a small
man but powerful. His son succeeded him and he and Spouse worked together.
He too was small but very stocky and strong. Spouse is small and wiry but
strong.

They needed to be small to get into the tight holes under sinks and behind
wcs and they had to be strong to hold up and carry the heavy components of
those days.

But was it cause or effect?

Mary

Si

Mary Fisher

"Arty Flinders" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 14:27:11 +0100, Tim Mitchell
wrote:

In article , Arty Flinders
writes
I saw this kit in Lidl yesterday. Thought perhaps some of the tools
were for pipe bending, which I do fairly often but it seems they're
for putting thread onto pipes.
I know the old iron pipes used to be threaded but what modern plumbing
pipework has threads cut into it these days?

Probably for metal electrical conduit

I did wonder if such activities were considered as "plumbing".
But then, what other than lead-work is?

Copper has been for a long time. Nowadays it's plastic.

Mary
--
Arty

"Mindless violence causes computer games."
A. Flinders

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:38:09 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

They needed to be small to get into the tight holes under sinks and behind
wcs and they had to be strong to hold up and carry the heavy components of
those days.

But was it cause or effect?

Have you ever read "The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists" ?
(one of the best novels ever written BTW)

It's the story of turn-of-the-century (that's 1900, Mary)
housepainters in Hastings, and how they're exploited by their
employer. Some credit it with helping the Labour landslide in 1945.

IMM

wrote:

They needed to be small to get into the tight holes under sinks and

behind
wcs and they had to be strong to hold up and carry the heavy components

of
those days.

But was it cause or effect?

Have you ever read "The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists" ?
(one of the best novels ever written BTW)

It's the story of turn-of-the-century (that's 1900, Mary)
housepainters in Hastings, and how they're exploited by their
employer. Some credit it with helping the Labour landslide in 1945.

Written by an ex RAF officer. An excellent entertaining book.

Mary Fisher

wrote:

They needed to be small to get into the tight holes under sinks and

behind
wcs and they had to be strong to hold up and carry the heavy components

of
those days.

But was it cause or effect?

Have you ever read "The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists" ?
(one of the best novels ever written BTW)

I thought it was a singular philanthropist but the answer is yes.

The pity is that I can't remember it ... :-(

It's the story of turn-of-the-century (that's 1900, Mary)

Oh, THAT century :-)

housepainters in Hastings, and how they're exploited by their
employer. Some credit it with helping the Labour landslide in 1945.

What has that to do with hunky plumbers?

Mary

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:55:51 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

What has that to do with hunky plumbers?

No vans. They have to carry their own ladders and grind their own red
lead.
--
Smert' spamionam
Mary Fisher

wrote:

What has that to do with hunky plumbers?

No vans. They have to carry their own ladders and grind their own red
lead.

Is that what happened in the novel?

Spouse's plumbing mentor was my godfather. He had a van, a Jowett Bradford.
It was the only i.c.e. vehicle which ever came into our street in the 1940s.
I was fascinated by the way he 'tickled' the carburettor to get it to start.
I don't remember him using red lead in any form though, I thought that was
painters?

He didn't use ladders ofen either, most plumbing was done from inside ...
even glazing.

Mary

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:55:24 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I don't remember him using red lead in any form though,

Plumbers used plenty of red lead. Cast iron fittings would be primed
with a lead paint. Any joints between cast iron pipe should be made
(caulked) with hemp string and jointers putty with red lead worked
into it. You can skip the red lead for earthenware, but cast iron
needs it to stop rusting and bursting the collar.

The guys in the book are painters though. Their hunkiness isn't
mentioned (although all the capitalists are portly, red-faced and
given to watering the worker's beer)
--
Smert' spamionam
Mary Fisher

wrote:

I don't remember him using red lead in any form though,

Plumbers used plenty of red lead. Cast iron fittings would be primed
with a lead paint. Any joints between cast iron pipe should be made
(caulked) with hemp string and jointers putty with red lead worked
into it. You can skip the red lead for earthenware, but cast iron
needs it to stop rusting and bursting the collar.

Ah yes, it's coming back now ... I think ...

The guys in the book are painters though. Their hunkiness isn't
mentioned (although all the capitalists are portly, red-faced and
given to watering the worker's beer)

Ah. A real work of fiction then - still don't remember it!

Mary
--
Smert' spamionam