Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Identify thermostatic valve

This is the thermostatic valve from a shower:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/16k3277d94...valve.jpg?dl=0

The mixer I removed it from has no markings, and this valve barely has
any - just some numbers on the brass spindle at the left.

When the unit warms up, the section on the left moves outwards, opening
the gap you can see to the right of the first black rubber seal. This
allows more cold water to flow in through that gap, and out into the
mixer.

The problem is that the mixed water never gets hot enough, so either the
thermostat mechanism itself is too cautious about hot water, or the
valve is unable to restrict the entry of cold water properly (I suspect
this).

I think it's probably unlikely I will find a replacement for this, and
instead will need to replace the whole mixer. Before I do, any
suggestions for identifying it in order to find a replacement?

Thanks,

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2020 13:14:41, D.M. Procida wrote:
[...]

This is a cartridge I haven't seen before. I would suggest you have a
look on eBay.

There are some very cheap shower bars which take this type of universal
cartridge

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thermosta...t/392995790383

Although it quotes Triton this fits a number of Chinese clone showers.
Its easy to swap out if it fails again.

I think this might be new time for a new shower mixer.

I find the wax capsules stick, I've had to replace mine now twice.

You may be able to open yours up and push the pin back in but I'm sure
it will fail again the same way. Another alternative is to source a
stronger spring to push the pin back in with a little more force.

I'm intrigued if anyone has solved the issue with the wax capsule pin
sticking.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 13:14:41 +0000,
(D.M. Procida) wrote:

[...]

If you send the photo to https://www.showerspares.com/ they can
probably advise you (and supply a replacement). That's what I did when
I couldn't remember the make/model.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(D.M. Procida) wrote:

This is the thermostatic valve from a shower:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/16k3277d94...valve.jpg?dl=0

I think it's probably unlikely I will find a replacement for this, and
instead will need to replace the whole mixer. Before I do, any
suggestions for identifying it in order to find a replacement?

If you send the photo to https://www.showerspares.com/ they can
probably advise you (and supply a replacement). That's what I did when
I couldn't remember the make/model.

Thanks, it looks as if anyone knows, they will.

But it also seems pretty clear that it is unlikely to be worth it.
Amazing that most of the cartridges seem to be more expensive than most
new thermostatic mixer units!

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:

[...]

I couldn't identify the part, but to my surprise, I was able to repair
it. I'm not sure exactly what did the trick, whether it was just a case
of reseating the seal or leaving it jammed open in hot vinegar, but it
works beautifully now.

Daniele

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/2020 14:38, D.M. Procida wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:

[...]

I had considerable success soaking them in descaler

Daniele

--
Climate is what you expect but weather is what you get.
Mark Twain