Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plumbing DIY SOS kit

I Don't Do plumbing.

The main reason I don't is I'm not confident in being able to get myself out
of trouble if I start a job and then find I don't have the ability to make
it safe again afterwards, without causing a flood.

This is probably something I should improve upon. One thing that would be
useful is to have sufficient tools and parts on hand so that I can handle
emergency and basic jobs without having to leave someone with their finger
in the dyke as I run out mid-job to grab parts.

So what should I be looking to have in my basic toolkit to handle such
things? I'm thinking of things like:

Pipe freezer kit
PTFE tape
Plumbing wrench
Silicone sealant
Some kind of pipe leak sealant
Isolation valves

but what else would the panel recommend?

Thanks
Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2020 12:49, Theo wrote:
[...]

Knowing where all the stop cocks are, inside and out.
Checking that they work, expecially the outside one.
Ditto gate valves. Every time the clocks change, close
any stop cocks and gate valves then re-open, but after
fully opening close them half a turn, or they might jam
in the open position.

Check your lagging in the loft when the weather is mild.

Some people might say have a set of drain rods ready for
the Xmax day fat bergs (and god knows what else kids chuck
down the loo).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 30/11/2020 12:49, Theo wrote:
[...]

I needed to turn mine off and couldn't fine the tool I knew I had. Screwfix
came up trumps.

Ditto gate valves. Every time the clocks change, close
any stop cocks and gate valves then re-open, but after
fully opening close them half a turn, or they might jam
in the open position.

Check your lagging in the loft when the weather is mild.

Some people might say have a set of drain rods ready for
the Xmax day fat bergs (and god knows what else kids chuck
down the loo).

I've got 2 sets to add lenght for a land drain,

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2020 13:03, Andrew wrote:

Knowing where all the stop cocks are, inside and out.
Checking that they work, expecially the outside one.

+1
If they haven't been operated for some time they will probably be a bit
(very) stiff to turn and you may need some form of lever on the valve
(tap) heads in order to turn them.

Ditto gate valves. Every time the clocks change, close
any stop cocks and gate valves then re-open, but after
fully opening close them half a turn, or they might jam
in the open position.

Gate valves are the spawn of the devil and trying to operate them after
a few years can be futile. I have come across a very old (circa 1960)
gate valve which appeared to have a locking nut. The nut on the top of
the spindle had to be undone by a turn before the spindle would turn.

Some people might say have a set of drain rods ready for
the Xmax day fat bergs (and god knows what else kids chuck
down the loo).

If the loo is blocked make a plunger from a mop with the mop head placed
inside a plastic refuse sack.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew explained on 30/11/2020 :
Knowing where all the stop cocks are, inside and out.
Checking that they work, expecially the outside one.
Ditto gate valves.

I have of mine clearly labelled as to their purpose, no point in
guessing / relying on memory in an emergency.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2020 12:49, Theo wrote:
I Don't Do plumbing.

The main reason I don't is I'm not confident in being able to get myself out
of trouble if I start a job and then find I don't have the ability to make
it safe again afterwards, without causing a flood.

I can sort of do it, but I don't like that with plumbing when things go
wrong with it water gets everywhere. Worse still if it is grey water or
the evil black muddy sludge that comes out of some CH systems.

This is probably something I should improve upon. One thing that would be
useful is to have sufficient tools and parts on hand so that I can handle
emergency and basic jobs without having to leave someone with their finger
in the dyke as I run out mid-job to grab parts.

So what should I be looking to have in my basic toolkit to handle such
things? I'm thinking of things like:

Pipe freezer kit
PTFE tape
Plumbing wrench
Silicone sealant
Some kind of pipe leak sealant
Isolation valves

but what else would the panel recommend?

A couple of sacrificial towels, a shallow bowl and a bucket to hand.

Knowing where all the various stop cocks are and that should they be
needed that they will actually turn the water off!

My main inlet valve is borderline but with it as hard off as possible
and the lowest positioned tap open it is tolerable to work on. The
stupid thing is almost at ground level behind kitchen cabinets so
incredibly difficult to replace without replacing the entire kitchen!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown presented the following explanation :
I can sort of do it, but I don't like that with plumbing when things go wrong
with it water gets everywhere.

It doesn't need to, all you need do is make sure the water is properly
drained first.

Worse still if it is grey water or the evil
black muddy sludge that comes out of some CH systems.

It should not be discoloured at all, unless your system is badly
neglected. Inhibitor will keep a clean system clean and clear of the
black magnetite - basically rust from the inside of the radiators.

My system has been drained just twice in 40 years, each time refilled
with inhibiter. On neither occaission did anything but clear water come
out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Nov 2020 at 12:49:56 GMT, "Theo"
wrote:

[...]

Some decent purpose made spanners for the larger rad and union nuts, and those
under basin things. A selection of push fit plastic pipe and connectors, and a
couple of end caps. A couple of lengths of copper pipe too. Wire wool.
Plumber's mate. Selection of washers.

I'd take on most plumbing now. I think it's one of the better 'what's the
worst that can happen' DIY jobs. Cue apocalyptic flood ;-)

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2020 12:49:56, Theo wrote:
[...]

Use the thicker PTFE tape.
Short hose to assist with any drain.
Key for outside stop cock, make sure you can turn it off.
A couple of adjustable wrenches, you need more than one.
Assortment of fittings, including compression caps/end stops.
Pipe cutters.
Decent junior hacksaw.

You don't mention gas lamp/solder/flux. Best to practice first. There
shouldn't be any need for silicone sealant, apart from finishing around
basins and baths etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
You don't mention gas lamp/solder/flux. Best to practice first. There
shouldn't be any need for silicone sealant, apart from finishing around
basins and baths etc.

What's the recommendation for new interior plumbing these days? Copper?
PVC? PE? What kind of fittings?

I think we're mostly copper, although I'm not sure what has been tacked on.
Pipe soldering is probably a useful skill to pick up anyway...
(done lots of other kinds of soldering)

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2020 15:47, Theo wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
You don't mention gas lamp/solder/flux. Best to practice first. There
shouldn't be any need for silicone sealant, apart from finishing around
basins and baths etc.

What's the recommendation for new interior plumbing these days? Copper?
PVC? PE? What kind of fittings?

I think we're mostly copper, although I'm not sure what has been tacked on.
Pipe soldering is probably a useful skill to pick up anyway...
(done lots of other kinds of soldering)

Theo

If you use Hep20 or similar, remember to use the strain relief
supports if you have a 90 degree bend immediately before a
pushfit connector, otherwise there will be a lateral force
on the O ring in the connector which might leak at some point.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
You don't mention gas lamp/solder/flux. Best to practice first. There
shouldn't be any need for silicone sealant, apart from finishing around
basins and baths etc.

What's the recommendation for new interior plumbing these days? Copper?
PVC? PE? What kind of fittings?

I think we're mostly copper, although I'm not sure what has been tacked on.
Pipe soldering is probably a useful skill to pick up anyway...
(done lots of other kinds of soldering)

A pipe bender for 15 and 22mm copper tube. End feed solder fittings. Learn
those skills and you'll be happy with every job.

--
*Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A pipe bender for 15 and 22mm copper tube. End feed solder fittings. Learn
those skills and you'll be happy with every job.

Pipe bender if you are going to fit your own plumbing (but not
essential) and possibly vastly overkill if only required for the odd
emergency repair on existing plumbing.

End feed solder fittings are possible overkill for a quick soldered
repair. Yorkshire fittings with the integral ring of solder are easier
to fit for the novice - but not without practice. I would tend to use
one or two off compression fittings for a repair, especially in areas
where cosmetics are not vital. Any soldered fitting needs to be
COMPLETELY dry of water whereas compression does not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 22:23:47 +0000, alan_m wrote:

End feed solder fittings are possible overkill for a quick soldered
repair. Yorkshire fittings with the integral ring of solder are easier
to fit for the novice - but not without practice.

Much prefer end fed, though I'd like to move onto no fitting at all
and just flare one of the pipes. Saw a gadget that fitted into a
drill to do that on one of those random FB videos that pop up...

I would tend to use one or two off compression fittings for a repair,
especially in areas where cosmetics are not vital.

Depends a bit on access and if there is room to wrnagle two spanners.

Any soldered fitting needs to be COMPLETELY dry of water whereas
compression does not.

The fitting normally is, the pipework however... B-)

The killer is water that gets replaced when wicked out or boiled
away. Snag with boiling a drop of water away is that any steam
produced may blow the solder out of the joint..

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Nov 2020 at 15:47:12 GMT, "Theo"
wrote:

Fredxx wrote:
You don't mention gas lamp/solder/flux. Best to practice first. There
shouldn't be any need for silicone sealant, apart from finishing around
basins and baths etc.

What's the recommendation for new interior plumbing these days? Copper?
PVC? PE? What kind of fittings?

I think we're mostly copper, although I'm not sure what has been tacked on.
Pipe soldering is probably a useful skill to pick up anyway...
(done lots of other kinds of soldering)

Agreed on the skills - I'd much prefer to solder and work in copper. But I am
where I am and use plastic, and it works side-by-side with my mainly copper
system. If/when I get the time I'll learn soldering.

It was reported on this NG, about 10 years back, that plastic fittings will
fail as a matter of course. 10 years was the undisputed maximum life (if
properly fitted/supported - plastic does need more fixing in the right places)
then IIRC. Not sure if that needs to be revised.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

Agreed on the skills - I'd much prefer to solder and work in copper. But I am
where I am and use plastic, and it works side-by-side with my mainly copper
system. If/when I get the time I'll learn soldering.

Indoors, I've always used copper, but for building a new house, I think
I'll use plastic to have no joints within walls/ceilings, any room
requiring water will have a "service wall" probably with manifolds
incorporating a bank of isolation valves to individual outlets, e.g.

https://emmeti.co.uk/hot-and-cold-water-manifold-system-applications

It was reported on this NG, about 10 years back, that plastic fittings will
fail as a matter of course. 10 years was the undisputed maximum life (if
properly fitted/supported - plastic does need more fixing in the right places)
then IIRC. Not sure if that needs to be revised.

JG now guarantees their pushfit for 50 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Theo wrote :
What's the recommendation for new interior plumbing these days? Copper?
PVC? PE? What kind of fittings?

Copper everytime, if you want it to last! End feed fittings are
cheaper, but solder ring are a little easier to use. Compression for
where it is impossible to solder.

I think we're mostly copper, although I'm not sure what has been tacked on.
Pipe soldering is probably a useful skill to pick up anyway...
(done lots of other kinds of soldering)

Once you have the hang of any soldering, it is easily transferable to
plumbing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2020 13:06, Fredxx wrote:

Short hose to assist with any drain.
Key for outside stop cock, make sure you can turn it off.
A couple of adjustable wrenches, you need more than one.
Assortment of fittings, including compression caps/end stops.
Pipe cutters.
Decent junior hacksaw.

You don't mention gas lamp/solder/flux. Best to practice first. There
shouldn't be any need for silicone sealant, apart from finishing around
basins and baths etc.

I'm not sure that freezer spray is going to do much good unless the
skill is there to fix a problem in a short time. Possibly it will not
work at all on running live water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 22:14:40 +0000, alan_m wrote:

I'm not sure that freezer spray is going to do much good unless the
skill is there to fix a problem in a short time. Possibly it will not
work at all on running live water.

Won't work on even slowly running water. Though if the water is
running one perhaps ought to be more concerned about finding a valve
to stop it running than doing a repair...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 22:14:40 +0000, alan_m wrote:

I'm not sure that freezer spray is going to do much good unless the
skill is there to fix a problem in a short time. Possibly it will not
work at all on running live water.

Won't work on even slowly running water. Though if the water is
running one perhaps ought to be more concerned about finding a valve
to stop it running than doing a repair...

One trick I use. Soldering can be impossible if any water lies in a pipe.
Blow through the pipe with a compressor etc leaving a suitable bleed like
a tap or whatever open for the air to exit. If you're quick, that often
works where you have a small dribble.

I have an HVLP spray set and the air supply for that is ideal - even has a
1/2" tap connector thread on it. A vacuum cleaner that can blow also would
be ideal too. Although they're not common these days.

--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One trick I use. Soldering can be impossible if any water lies in a pipe.
Blow through the pipe with a compressor etc leaving a suitable bleed like
a tap or whatever open for the air to exit. If you're quick, that often
works where you have a small dribble.

I have an HVLP spray set and the air supply for that is ideal - even has a
1/2" tap connector thread on it. A vacuum cleaner that can blow also would
be ideal too. Although they're not common these days.

I've used a wet and dry vacuum cleaner in the past to successfully dry
out a pipe long enough for soldering. I made a crude vaccum cleaner hose
to 15 mm pipe adapter and just used a straight coupling (unsoldered) to
connect to the plumbing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 30/11/2020, alan_m supposed :
I'm not sure that freezer spray is going to do much good unless the skill is
there to fix a problem in a short time.

It works on skin tags :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2020 12:49, Theo wrote:
[...]

Everyone so far has left out the most important thing. The wet and dry
vacuum cleaner.

Not just for preventing, and for cleaning up flooded floors. Unpleasant
though it may sound, it is also the least worst way to start tackling a
completely blocked loo (or drain gully).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2020 13:15, newshound wrote:
On 30/11/2020 12:49, Theo wrote:
I Don't Do plumbing.

The main reason I don't is I'm not confident in being able to get
myself out
of trouble if I start a job and then find I don't have the ability to
make
it safe again afterwards, without causing a flood.

This is probably something I should improve upon. One thing that would be
useful is to have sufficient tools and parts on hand so that I can handle
emergency and basic jobs without having to leave someone with their
finger
in the dyke as I run out mid-job to grab parts.

So what should I be looking to have in my basic toolkit to handle such
things?Â* I'm thinking of things like:

Pipe freezer kit
PTFE tape
Plumbing wrench
Silicone sealant
Some kind of pipe leak sealant
Isolation valves

but what else would the panel recommend?

Thanks
Theo

Everyone so far has left out the most important thing. The wet and dry
vacuum cleaner.

Not just for preventing, and for cleaning up flooded floors. Unpleasant
though it may sound, it is also the least worst way to start tackling a
completely blocked loo (or drain gully).

+1 great for draining radiators without spilling a drop.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2020 17:40, Robert wrote:
On 30/11/2020 13:15, newshound wrote:

Everyone so far has left out the most important thing. The wet and dry
vacuum cleaner.

Not just for preventing, and for cleaning up flooded floors.
Unpleasant though it may sound, it is also the least worst way to
start tackling a completely blocked loo (or drain gully).

+1 great for draining radiators without spilling a drop.

Yes indeed, also washing machines, dishwashers, defrosting freezers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2020 12:49, Theo wrote:
[...]

A couple of metres of copper pipe

Perhaps not isolation valves but some of those end caps
for sealing off a pipe.

In an older house, an adapter to go from the older steel
(BSP?) to modern copper.

Tap washers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:

Pipe freezer kit

I've done all manner of plumbing and never needed it.

PTFE tape

yes

Plumbing wrench

some water pump pliers, or just a crescent wrench, one of the dedicated
1/2"+3/4" split ring spanners is nice

https://www.toolstation.com/split-ring-compression-fitting-spanner/p23418

Silicone sealant
Some kind of pipe leak sealant

LS-X

Isolation valves

A handful of push-fit stop ends in 15mm and 22mm

https://www.toolstation.com/jg-speedfit-stop-end/p52927

but what else would the panel recommend?

Are you planning on soldering?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Theo wrote:

Pipe freezer kit

I've done all manner of plumbing and never needed it.

Yes, I was going to say that. A pipe freezer kit really isn't an
emergency sort of thing, more a way of doing something that would take
longer and/or more effort by other means. Also I think you very much
need to know what you're doing to use one successfully.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 30/11/2020 12:49, Theo wrote:

Pipe freezer kit

If you are worried about flooding, I suggest that you don't use this.

In any case, it won't work at all if there's any water flow at all.

It might be better to get one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/aladdin-e...ter-pack/36008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2020 13:26:13, GB wrote:
On 30/11/2020 12:49, Theo wrote:

Pipe freezer kit

If you are worried about flooding, I suggest that you don't use this.

In any case, it won't work at all if there's any water flow at all.

It might be better to get one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/aladdin-e...ter-pack/36008

That's a nifty piece of kit. Not cheap, but cheaper than calling a
plumber out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 30/11/2020 12:49, Theo wrote:

Pipe freezer kit

If you are worried about flooding, I suggest that you don't use this.

I was thinking of places where it's not easy to fit an isolator, eg annoying
corners. Or to avoid drain, fix, refill, oops-I-did-it-wrong, drain, fix,
refill cycles

Although point taken about bursting pipes

It might be better to get one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/aladdin-e...ter-pack/36008

Do they work on plastic?

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 30/11/2020 15:43, Theo wrote:
GB wrote:
On 30/11/2020 12:49, Theo wrote:

Pipe freezer kit

If you are worried about flooding, I suggest that you don't use this.

I was thinking of places where it's not easy to fit an isolator, eg annoying
corners. Or to avoid drain, fix, refill, oops-I-did-it-wrong, drain, fix,
refill cycles

Although point taken about bursting pipes

You won't burst the pipe using one of those. Probably. But you might
find that the ice doesn't hold for long, and once any water starts to
get by it'll melt the ice plug extremely quickly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've got a couple of items that have proved very useful but I don't know how to describe - rubber bung for sealing the end of a pipe temporarily - a conical rubber thing with ribs that fits into the pipe end then you turn a plastic threaded handle that causes the bung to get tighter in the pipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2020 12:49, Theo wrote:

but what else would the panel recommend?

One of those handy circular, put it on the pipe and turn it, pipe cutters.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2020 12:49, Theo wrote:
I Don't Do plumbing.

The main reason I don't is I'm not confident in being able to get myself out
of trouble if I start a job and then find I don't have the ability to make
it safe again afterwards, without causing a flood.

This is probably something I should improve upon. One thing that would be
useful is to have sufficient tools and parts on hand so that I can handle
emergency and basic jobs without having to leave someone with their finger
in the dyke as I run out mid-job to grab parts.

The non-PC schoolboy in me wonders what a finger in a dyke has to do
with plumbing (sorry)

So what should I be looking to have in my basic toolkit to handle such
things? I'm thinking of things like:

Pipe freezer kit
PTFE tape
Plumbing wrench
Silicone sealant
Some kind of pipe leak sealant
Isolation valves

but what else would the panel recommend?

Thanks
Theo

Some thoughts ...
Don't bother with pipe freezer (unreliable IME) but make sure you have a
good wet vacuum for dealing with spills and getting water out of pipes
so they can be soldered.
Don't bother with hacksaws but get "pipe slice"s of the appropriate
sizes and, if you have any plastic pipe, a dedicated plastic pipe cutter.
A MAP blowlamp is a very useful tool, not just for plumbing.
At least two adjustable spanners.
Some olives (copper are easier to use than brass)
Joint sealant (jet blue is one brand).
Fibre washers and tap washers (unless yours all have ceramic inserts)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes
On 30/11/2020 12:49, Theo wrote:
[...]

Side issue on the MAP blowlamp.

Mine came with 3 nozzles only one of which now ignites the gas from the
piezo trigger.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 November 2020 at 15:21:00 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
writes
On 30/11/2020 12:49, Theo wrote:
[...]

If you only want to effect a temporary repair until someone else comes to make a permanent repair then there is only a few things you need. For leaks from pinholes or weeping soldered joints amalgamating tape will probably do might even cover the sort of split you get when a pipe has frozen. Weeping compression joints just need the right size spanners or a couple of Stilsons there are also some sealants that can be applied even with the leak if the joint will not tighten up. I would only heed some of the other suggestions regards tools if you see yourself doing any serious plumbing. Do however familiarise yourself with where all the stop cocks, valves and drain off cocks are if the water needs to be turned off.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
[...]

The trick is to put in sufficient full flow isolation valves so you don't
have to turn everything off to do any work. Cost is a drop in the ocean if
done step by step.

For the water side, I use end feed fittings. So you need a blowlamp, etc.
Once you've mastered the skills of soldering, leaks a thing of the past.
With wastes, I also prefer solvent weld. For the same reasons.

--
*Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away! *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2020 14:11:50, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Theo wrote:
[...]

While I agree, I do like to make various sections demountable for future
access and changes, so the occasional compression fitting. It's a bugger
to solder fittings to wet pipes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
The trick is to put in sufficient full flow isolation valves so you don't
have to turn everything off to do any work. Cost is a drop in the ocean if
done step by step.

Indeed, but the problem is putting them in... (without leaking everywhere)

For the water side, I use end feed fittings. So you need a blowlamp, etc.
Once you've mastered the skills of soldering, leaks a thing of the past.
With wastes, I also prefer solvent weld. For the same reasons.

Are end feed preferred to solder ring?
And compared to compression?

Theo

Diy sos - the big build Thumper[_2_] UK diy 34 April 1st 13 10:49 PM
DIY SOS The Medway Handyman UK diy 7 May 4th 06 10:05 AM
Plumbing/Boiler SOS Gaffar UK diy 9 September 20th 05 04:15 PM
DIY SOS Chris J Dixon UK diy 0 March 17th 05 10:07 PM
DIY SOS Last Night - Lime and Sand plaster? Saeed UK diy 6 July 4th 04 04:50 PM