Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Silicone sealant between kitchen cabinet kick plate and floor -removal - dishwasher

In 2012 we had the rear of the house extended and a new kitchen fitted.
Laminate flooring and the kitchen on top.
Kick board/plate sealed to the laminate with some kind of silicone sealant.

My previous experience of silicone sealant is that it still stays fairly
soft and flexible and can be peeled off if required.

This clear sealant seems to be set hard.
Moderate attempts with a knife won't cut it, and I am delaying getting
brutal because I don't want to damage the floor or kick board.

I am off to trawl the Internet, but meanwhile does anyone know how to
soften or otherwise remove this stuff without terminal destruction?

I may be taking the wrong approach because I am trying to see underneath a
built in dishwasher to try and trace a leak.
I assumed that I would have to take the kick plate off.
Do I instead have to slide the dishwasher out?
That is, does a built in dishwasher sit on a cabinet floor or do its' bits
dangle into the void?

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Wrote in message:
[...]

Will the kick panel not come off with some flavour of moulded
extrusion still attached to the bottom?

You may have to remove other kick boards to release the one you
want out.
If they are done proper there'll be clips securing the kick boards
to the cabinet legs too..

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 16:34:07 +0000, Jimk wrote:

David Wrote in message:
[...]

The laminate floor goes under the kitchen units right up to the wall.
The units are one long run along the wall of roughly 7.4 metres.
The kick board is one long run of 3 metres, followed by another run of 2.4
metres.

It has just been suggested to me that it may not be silicone sealant, but
instead a plastic moulding/u shaped channel as used (for example) to seal
round glass shower doors.
I will investigate further.
It is a Howdens kitchen.

I am assuming that it is clipped to the legs of the cabinets.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David presented the following explanation :

This clear sealant seems to be set hard.
Moderate attempts with a knife won't cut it, and I am delaying getting
brutal because I don't want to damage the floor or kick board.

Some clear sealants can set very hard indeed, but why would they use it
on a kick board?

Kick boards used to be screwed in place, though later ones just clip
into place. All you can do is pull and cut until the board is free and
able to be cleaned up.

Mine are older ones, which screwed into place, fitted by me. I recently
re-did the floor, so all had to be removed, so I took the opportunity
to clean them up and repaint them all. Kick boards are quite cheap to
replace with new, if they are damaged.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Wrote in message:
[...]

Ah!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plinth-Seal...ss-Plastic/dp/
B06XYK9RKZ

Looking possible.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 16:21:27 +0000, David wrote:

[...]

OK.

Every day is a school day. :-(

Yes the kick board just pulls out from the clips.

Yes it sits in a plastic moulding.

For practical purposes of access I started by removing the plinth heater
by the passage door onto the deck and working my way along the run of
kitchen units to the other end where the dishwasher is.

However the fitters gave it a little bit of extra help to stay in place,
using thin screws down from inside the cupboards at a couple of points.
I destroyed one length of board by pulling it off the screw then my memory
in chief (partner) recalled seeing them put screws in and I located the
next one.

Most of the run is now free, but I have to dismount the second plinth
heater to see what the buggers have done around there.

After that, it is back to draining the swamp - that is, trying to work out
where the dishwasher is leaking.

I will have to renew the kick boards but that is no great deal; they are
cheap enough.

Probably worth checking everything out and doing a few Round Tuit jobs at
the same time now that I have ripped the ****er apart.

This is why I hate starting any new jobs.
There is always something that sticks or breaks or is hidden behind
something else and needs fixing.

Small consolation is that the run of kick board would have had to come out
anyway to access the dishwasher whether i fettle it, someone else fettles
it, or we replace it.

I feel another thread about expected life of appliances coming on.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Wrote in message:
[...]

Exactly as I suspected then...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

However, most appliances seem to be sitting on a base from what I've seen.
At least on two runners so it can be slid, otherwise how would they have put
them in?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jimk" wrote in message
o.uk...
David Wrote in message:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 08:08:41 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

However, most appliances seem to be sitting on a base from what I've
seen. At least on two runners so it can be slid, otherwise how would
they have put them in?
Brian

They sit on four screw feet for levelling and you just slide them in on
the floor.

Cheers

Dave R