DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   So that's why all this puff about the 'hydrogen economy' (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/681096-so-thats-why-all-puff-about-hydrogen-economy.html)

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 19th 20 10:50 PM

So that's why all this puff about the 'hydrogen economy'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...funding-round/

--
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isnt true; the
other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Soren Kierkegaard

Tim+[_5_] October 20th 20 07:29 AM

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...funding-round/

Paywalled...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Tim+[_5_] October 20th 20 07:51 AM

So that's why all this puff about the 'hydrogen economy'

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...funding-round/

https://www.riversimple.com/the-design-of-the-rasa/

Hmm, 8kW from the fuel cell. My EV has a 150kW motor. Dont think this car
is gonna exactly fly along.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Andy Burns[_13_] October 20th 20 07:51 AM

Tim+ wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/

Paywalled...

Turn off javascript

Paul[_46_] October 20th 20 09:20 AM

Tim+ wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...funding-round/

https://www.riversimple.com/the-design-of-the-rasa/

Hmm, 8kW from the fuel cell. My EV has a 150kW motor. Dont think this car
is gonna exactly fly along.

Tim

You're confusing issues of "peak" versus "average"
consumption.

When you breeze along the motorway at 100km/hour,
it might take 20HP (~14kW) to handle wind resistance.
You can then forecast how long the battery would last
on your BEV, knowing that the wind resistance is
what is eating at your battery.

I agree that fuel cells have ****-poor output characteristics.
They're not "strong-like-bull" as electrical devices go.

But, you have the ability to fit Lithium batteries
as a buffer to the fuel cell system, or if feeling
particularly rich, you could fit UltraCaps to the car.
The UltraCaps can provide bursts of 3000 amps if
needed. This means you'll be able to burn donuts
in the parking lot, do brake stands while waiting
in traffic and so on. Your tires will be worn
out and shot in no time.

But, with your electrical buffer, you can only refill the buffer
at the 8kW rate. That means your "average" rate of
consumption is capped. Burn one donut, wait two
hours for your recharge. Then burn another donut. Boring.

Another way to think of this, is pretend they made
a solar-powered car. Weak as **** solar array on the
car roof. Recharge time ? A week maybe, or a month.
Obviously, solar panels on the roof of the car cannot
put out 8kW. Solar would be weaker still. But the buffering
principle remains - if you could sit off the road for
a week, you might be able to drive for a minute or two.

The hydrogen, you could still pull over to the
side of the road, while the fuel cell continues to
charge the Lithium system. When you come out of
Harrods, your car has charged itself, and without
using any of that grid power you don't have a lot of.

The fuel cell car then, will need a very low drag
coefficient. You won't be driving an F150 with a
load of brick in the back. You won't be pulling
a motor home with it.

The Lithium batteries are still key to this, because
they're needed for dynamic braking and harvesting
the kinetic energy in the car while attempting to
stop. That means less of that precious H2 will be
needed to pull away when the light changes.

Ballard Systems in Vancouver, designed a transit bus
that runs on fuel cells. When the driver stomps the
"gas", a cloud of steam comes out of the back of the
bus. It can be done. I wish I could find the video
of the first time one of these buses pulled away...
The available vids now are crap.

https://www.ballard.com/markets/transit-bus

That's not the problem with the hydrogen economy. It's
making the hydrogen that's a problem. Not enough
electrolysis to make it sustainable... The sleazy
ways to make hydrogen, are still losers.

Paul

misterroy October 20th 20 10:08 AM

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 7:51:47 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/

Paywalled...

Turn off javascript

Thanks, turned off javascript and it works with the Herald too.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 20th 20 10:48 AM

On 20/10/2020 07:51, Tim+ wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...funding-round/

https://www.riversimple.com/the-design-of-the-rasa/

Hmm, 8kW from the fuel cell. My EV has a 150kW motor. Dont think this car
is gonna exactly fly along.

8 Kw is around 10 bhp

Enough for 50 mph perhaps.

Most small cars cruise at around that figure.

I would add a battery as well for peak power demands.

But it underlines my point that all this maybe and could be crap falls
to pieces when real numbers are inserted.

"When the flag drops, the bull**** stops"
"Money talks, bull**** walks"

Tim

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Tim+[_5_] October 20th 20 11:08 AM

Andy Burns wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/

Paywalled...

Turn off javascript

That did the trick. Thanks.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Tim+[_5_] October 20th 20 11:08 AM

Paul wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Oh I agree that with batteries and/or supercaps (and it does have the
latter) one could extract a lot more short term power.

Its still a bicycle-wheeled two seater with no luggage space with a top
whack of 60mph relying on a fuel thats near as dammit unobtainium. I
cant ever see demand being huge.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Andy Burns[_13_] October 20th 20 11:13 AM

So that's why all this puff about the 'hydrogen economy'

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

8 Kw is around 10 bhp
Enough for 50 mph perhaps.
Most small cars cruise at around that figure.
I would add a battery as well for peak power demands.

I think both the hydrogen power cars available in the UK do use the fuel
cell to charge battery as well as run the motors direct.

The Hyundai dealer in Leicester is offering test drives of the Nexo,
despite the nearest hydrogen filling point being an 80 mile round trip
to Derby, that's 20% of a tank gone before you start.

Plus wanky phrases like each hour of driving purifies enough air for 42
people to breath.

Roger Mills[_2_] October 20th 20 12:11 PM

On 20/10/2020 11:08, Tim+ wrote:
Paul wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
[...]

I don't know about this particular car, but I think that fuel-cell
powered cars have a future.

At the moment they are prohibitively expensive because they're only made
in penny numbers. Demand is low because of the high price and because of
the lack of re-fueling infrastructure. If that vicious circle can be
broken, they'll really take off because they have a much higher range
than BEVs and are much quicker to re-fuel. We could even see refilling
stations producing their own hydrogen from renewable energy - both
helping to save the planet and eliminating distribution costs. The fact
that the electrical energy which you get from the fuel cell is only
about 50% of the energy used to produce the hydrogen may then not matter.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Tim+[_5_] October 20th 20 12:26 PM

Roger Mills wrote:
On 20/10/2020 11:08, Tim+ wrote:
Paul wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
[...]

That *sounds* like it out to be a huge selling point, but in practice, the
vast majority of journeys are short ones.

and are much quicker to re-fuel.

Assuming you dont have to drive miles to find a refuelling point. I have
one at my home and very handy it is too. ;-)

We could even see refilling
stations producing their own hydrogen from renewable energy - both
helping to save the planet and eliminating distribution costs. The fact
that the electrical energy which you get from the fuel cell is only
about 50% of the energy used to produce the hydrogen may then not matter.

Or better still, dont waste that 50% and just stick the electricity
straight into a BEV.

Of course BEVs cant do everything a liquid/gas fuelled car can but theyre
here NOW, they work and provide an excellent mode of transport for many
people.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 20th 20 12:47 PM

On 20/10/2020 12:11, Roger Mills wrote:
We could even see refilling stations producing their own hydrogen from
renewable energy

ROFLMAO!
There's a levitating Gloucester Old Spot and a Wessex Saddleback! Pass
me the Purdey!

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

tim...[_2_] October 20th 20 02:21 PM

So that's why all this puff about the 'hydrogen economy'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...funding-round/

can't see a model that bundles insurance is going to be viable

it will mean that the people used to paying 200pa for insurance will
subsides those who pay 2000pa

tim...[_2_] October 20th 20 02:26 PM

"Tim+" wrote in message
Paul wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Oh I missed that bit

Where's the market for such a car?

a city runaround has to be capable of taking the kids to school

otherwise it's useless

tim...[_2_] October 20th 20 02:28 PM

"Tim+" wrote in message
Roger Mills wrote:
On 20/10/2020 11:08, Tim+ wrote:
Paul wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
[...]

but do the vast majority of cars only do short journeys?

Having to have two cars to solve that problem isn't going to be a great use
of resources

Jimk October 20th 20 03:32 PM

"tim..." Wrote in message:

"Tim+" wrote in message
Roger Mills wrote:
On 20/10/2020 11:08, Tim+ wrote:
Paul wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Rent one for long journeys or use another mode for one or both
situations...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Roger Mills[_2_] October 20th 20 04:29 PM

On 20/10/2020 12:26, Tim+ wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
On 20/10/2020 11:08, Tim+ wrote:
Paul wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Although a lot of my journeys are short, I do enough long journeys to a
BEV unviable with the range currently available. Hopefully battery
development will yield higher capacity batteries without increasing the
size and weight. Even so, a full charge will then take longer.
--
Cheers,
Roger

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 20th 20 05:42 PM

On 20/10/2020 14:28, tim... wrote:
but do the vast majority of cars only do short journeys?

Well its a moot point. A huge number of 'her' cars do in fact do just
the supermarket run and the school pickup and could easily be
BEV...whilst 'his' car does a bit of commuting and the weekend trips
which would be longer.

Having to have two cars to solve that problem isn't going to be a great
use of resources

Many families have two cars already. It's the elderly who get punished
as low mileage means that taxation service and MOTs are
disproportionately large elements of the annual cost, so they cant
afford two cars.

--
when things get difficult you just have to lie

Jean Claud Jüncker

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 20th 20 05:47 PM

On 20/10/2020 16:29, Roger Mills wrote:
Although a lot of my journeys are short, I do enough long journeys to a
BEV unviable with the range currently available. Hopefully battery
development will yield higher capacity batteries without increasing the
size and weight. Even so, a full charge will then take longer.

fast charging is something batteries can already do - a one hour flat to
full is well within lithium capabilities, but I haven't seen much in the
way of better energy to weight in the last ten years. Cost is about half
what it was ten years ago.

The limits on fast charging is really the local last mile grid. Few
houses have 100A fuses and that is the limit for a normal domestic
installation. 25kW will still take 4 hours to cram the electrons into a
100kWh battery...leaving nothing left over for the mandatory house
heat-pump.

let them."

Smolley[_4_] October 20th 20 05:50 PM

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 17:47:50 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

A petrol engine can be modified to run on hydrogen. No need to scrap them.

Tim+[_5_] October 20th 20 06:19 PM

tim... wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message

I don't know about this particular car, but I think that fuel-cell
powered cars have a future.

At the moment they are prohibitively expensive because they're only made
in penny numbers. Demand is low because of the high price and because of
the lack of re-fueling infrastructure. If that vicious circle can be
broken, they'll really take off because they have a much higher range
than BEVs

That *sounds* like it out to be a huge selling point, but in practice, the
vast majority of journeys are short ones.

but do the vast majority of cars only do short journeys?

No, but how much contingency to you really need?

For me the tipping point was waiting for an affordable EV with a range
greater than my Alfasud. (250 miles). Im happy to live with taking a
45-60 break every 250 miles or so if on on a long journey.

Having to have two cars to solve that problem isn't going to be a great use
of resources

You just need to to plan your recharge stops for long journeys or if you
want to really crack on, theirs always car hire.

Weve all got very used to the ability to re-fuel quickly thanks to the
energy density on petrol/diesel but once youve got over the initial panic
and learned to plan, its a lot less of an issue than you might imagine.

Additionally, I can refuel my car in my sleep! Can you? ;-). Imagine never
having to visit a petrol station again.

Lastly, with fuel costing just 5p a mile based on home charging (or even
free from many chargers in Scotland) the advantages vastly outweighed the
disadvantages for me. Its also a ****load nicer to drive than any ICE
vehicle.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

charles October 20th 20 06:20 PM

So that's why all this puff about the 'hydrogen economy'

In article ,
On 20/10/2020 14:28, tim... wrote:
but do the vast majority of cars only do short journeys?

Well its a moot point. A huge number of 'her' cars do in fact do just
the supermarket run and the school pickup and could easily be
BEV...whilst 'his' car does a bit of commuting and the weekend trips
which would be longer.

Having to have two cars to solve that problem isn't going to be a great
use of resources

Many families have two cars already. It's the elderly who get punished
as low mileage means that taxation service and MOTs are
disproportionately large elements of the annual cost, so they cant
afford two cars.

We tend to holiday in the UK, so need a car with a decent range

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Tim+[_5_] October 20th 20 06:29 PM

[...]

But you dont need fast charging at home. A 7kW charger is quite adequate
for overnight charging.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Tim+[_5_] October 20th 20 06:29 PM

Roger Mills wrote:
On 20/10/2020 12:26, Tim+ wrote:

Or better still, dont waste that 50% and just stick the electricity
straight into a BEV.

Of course BEVs cant do everything a liquid/gas fuelled car can but theyre
here NOW, they work and provide an excellent mode of transport for many
people.

Tim

Although a lot of my journeys are short, I do enough long journeys to a
BEV unviable with the range currently available. Hopefully battery
development will yield higher capacity batteries without increasing the
size and weight. Even so, a full charge will then take longer.

True, but when you can do 95% of your journeys at 5p a mile or less for
fuel (based on home charging), you find that you get happier about having a
wait occasionally. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Tim+[_5_] October 20th 20 06:29 PM

Smolley wrote:
[...]

....is the worst idea ever. Hydrogen is a terrible fuel for an IC engine.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

newshound October 20th 20 06:39 PM

So that's why all this puff about the 'hydrogen economy'

On 20/10/2020 13:11, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 12:47:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 20/10/2020 12:11, Roger Mills wrote:
We could even see refilling stations producing their own hydrogen from
renewable energy

ROFLMAO!
There's a levitating Gloucester Old Spot and a Wessex Saddleback! Pass
me the Purdey!

They wouldn't last long - sliced into bacon rashers as soon as they
hit one of the millions of whirling turbines.

ROFL +1.

Have you ever met an Old Spot? I wouldn't give much for the chances of a
windmill blade!

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 20th 20 07:04 PM

wrote:

On 20/10/2020 12:11, Roger Mills wrote:
We could even see refilling stations producing their own hydrogen from
renewable energy

ROFLMAO!
There's a levitating Gloucester Old Spot and a Wessex Saddleback! Pass
me the* Purdey!

They wouldn't last long - sliced into bacon rashers as soon as they
hit one of the millions of whirling turbines.

ROFL +1.

Have you ever met an Old Spot? I wouldn't give much for the chances of a
windmill blade!

Indeed. Chunky rashers off Old Spots and as for Saddlebacks....

--
It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell

charles October 20th 20 08:09 PM

So that's why all this puff about the 'hydrogen economy'

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
On 20/10/2020 12:26, Tim+ wrote:

Or better still, dont waste that 50% and just stick the electricity
straight into a BEV.

Of course BEVs cant do everything a liquid/gas fuelled car can but theyre
here NOW, they work and provide an excellent mode of transport for many
people.

Tim

Although a lot of my journeys are short, I do enough long journeys to a
BEV unviable with the range currently available. Hopefully battery
development will yield higher capacity batteries without increasing the
size and weight. Even so, a full charge will then take longer.

True, but when you can do 95% of your journeys at 5p a mile or less for
fuel (based on home charging), you find that you get happier about having
a wait occasionally. ;-)

but if the added up 'waits' mean you need to spend a night en-route much of
the economy has gone.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Tim+[_5_] October 20th 20 09:16 PM

So that's why all this puff about the 'hydrogen economy'

charles wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
On 20/10/2020 12:26, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

If youre pig-heatedly determined not to do any planning, then yes, you
could get caught out. Given that a cheap motel can cost less than a
tankful of fuel though, I dont have to travel that far to more than make
up the difference in cost.

I get it though, youre scared of change. The thing is, EVs are coming,
ICEs are on their way out. Once you realise how nice it is not to be
driving a bag of spanners though youll wonder why you waited so long to
switch.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

charles October 20th 20 09:40 PM

So that's why all this puff about the 'hydrogen economy'

In article
, Tim+
wrote:
charles wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
On 20/10/2020 12:26, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

I wasn't "not doing any planning". Planning showed me that a 400 mile, 7
hour journey would involve 4 stops instead of my usual one. Then, if a
charging point was free when I got there, I'd have 3 x 40 minutes added to
my journey time So 9 hours minimum. If I had to wait for a charging point
to become free, it would be longer. That's when an overnight stay might
have to happen.

So, I've rejected the idea of buying an battery car,

Given that a cheap motel can cost less than a tankful of fuel though, I
dont have to travel that far to more than make up the difference in cost.

I don't want to stay at a cheap motel, thank you.

I get it though, youre scared of change.

No, I was planning on buying an EV. Officially 245 miles range, but the
dealer said only 180 miles in real life. I used the recommended App to plan
a likely journey - that's when I saw the snag. If I was only doing local
journeys, then an EV would be ideal, but I'm not.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Tim+[_5_] October 20th 20 10:28 PM

So that's why all this puff about the 'hydrogen economy'

charles wrote:
In article
, Tim+
wrote:
charles wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
On 20/10/2020 12:26, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

Well it would if you bought a car with a small battery.

Then, if a
charging point was free when I got there, I'd have 3 x 40 minutes added to
my journey time So 9 hours minimum. If I had to wait for a charging point
to become free, it would be longer. That's when an overnight stay might
have to happen.

So, I've rejected the idea of buying an battery car,

Given that a cheap motel can cost less than a tankful of fuel though, I
don‘t have to travel that far to more than make up the difference in cost.

I don't want to stay at a cheap motel, thank you.

Well, Id be save about £35 for every 400 miles that you drive. Wouldnt
take long for me to still be quids in after a fairly decent hotel. ;-)

I get it though, you‘re scared of change.

No, I was planning on buying an EV. Officially 245 miles range, but the
dealer said only 180 miles in real life. I used the recommended App to plan
a likely journey - that's when I saw the snag. If I was only doing local
journeys, then an EV would be ideal, but I'm not.

You made a bad choice of EV then. Real life range for mine is 240 to
270. Id only need one stop at a rapid charger. Dont condemn EVs just
because you picked the wrong one for your needs.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 21st 20 02:51 AM

On 20/10/2020 21:16, Tim+ wrote:
The thing is, EVs are coming,
ICEs are on their way out. Once you realise how nice it is not to be
driving a bag of spanners though youll wonder why you waited so long to
switch.

You remind me of the twerp who prompted me to start Gridwatch with his
claim (in about 2009) that "by 2020 Britain will be entirely running on
renewable energy"

kind word alone.

Al Capone

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 21st 20 02:52 AM

So that's why all this puff about the 'hydrogen economy'

On 20/10/2020 22:28, Tim+ wrote:
charles wrote:
In article
, Tim+
wrote:
charles wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
On 20/10/2020 12:26, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

That is a lie.
All Evs have been tested by independent testers in real word conditions
and I dont think any made it over 200 miles.

Tim

--
I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

Leo Tolstoy

Tim+[_5_] October 21st 20 08:11 AM

On 20/10/2020 21:16, Tim+ wrote:
The thing is, EVs are coming,
ICEs are on their way out. Once you realise how nice it is not to be
driving a bag of spanners though youll wonder why you waited so long to
switch.

You remind me of the twerp who prompted me to start Gridwatch with his
claim (in about 2009) that "by 2020 Britain will be entirely running on
renewable energy"

Its not me pushing the change to EV, its the government. If you enjoy
paying 4 times more for your fuel than you need to and burying your head in
the sand, keep your ICE vehicles.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Tim+[_5_] October 21st 20 08:11 AM

On 20/10/2020 22:28, Tim+ wrote:

You made a bad choice of EV then. Real life range for mine is 240 to
270. Id only need one stop at a rapid charger. Dont condemn EVs just
because you picked the wrong one for your needs.

That is a lie.
All Evs have been tested by independent testers in real word conditions
and I dont think any made it over 200 miles.

You are so seriously out of date its laughable. Clearly not done any
market research in years.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

charles October 21st 20 09:10 AM

On 20/10/2020 22:28, Tim+ wrote:

You made a bad choice of EV then. Real life range for mine is 240
to 270. Id only need one stop at a rapid charger. Dont condemn
EVs just because you picked the wrong one for your needs.

That is a lie. All Evs have been tested by independent testers in real
word conditions and I dont think any made it over 200 miles.

You are so seriously out of date its laughable. Clearly not done any
market research in years.

The EV I was contemplating buyingbhad an advertised range of 235 miles.
Real mileage 180.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 21st 20 09:58 AM

On 20/10/2020 21:16, Tim+ wrote:
The thing is, EVs are coming,
ICEs are on their way out. Once you realise how nice it is not to be
driving a bag of spanners though youll wonder why you waited so long to
switch.

You remind me of the twerp who prompted me to start Gridwatch with his
claim (in about 2009) that "by 2020 Britain will be entirely running on
renewable energy"

Its not me pushing the change to EV, its the government.

Stra3w man. I never said you were.

If you enjoy
paying 4 times more for your fuel than you need to

Because of government taxation, only...how soon before 'road
electricity' is taxed by a 'smart meter' on your car?

and burying your head in
the sand,

It is not a matter of religion with others than you, it is a matter of
common sense. Right now they work better for most people.

keep your ICE vehicles.
I will thanks, for now.

Tim

Mark Twain

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 21st 20 09:59 AM

On 20/10/2020 22:28, Tim+ wrote:

You made a bad choice of EV then. Real life range for mine is 240 to
270. Id only need one stop at a rapid charger. Dont condemn EVs just
because you picked the wrong one for your needs.

That is a lie.
All Evs have been tested by independent testers in real word conditions
and I dont think any made it over 200 miles.

You are so seriously out of date its laughable. Clearly not done any
market research in years.

no this was two months ago.

So now the sneers are happening I KNOW you are lying.

Tim

Mark Twain

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 21st 20 10:01 AM

So that's why all this puff about the 'hydrogen economy'

On 21/10/2020 09:10, charles wrote:
In article
,
On 20/10/2020 22:28, Tim+ wrote:

You made a bad choice of EV then. Real life range for mine is 240
to 270. Id only need one stop at a rapid charger. Dont condemn
EVs just because you picked the wrong one for your needs.

That is a lie. All Evs have been tested by independent testers in real
word conditions and I dont think any made it over 200 miles.

You are so seriously out of date its laughable. Clearly not done any
market research in years.

The EV I was contemplating buyingbhad an advertised range of 235 miles.
Real mileage 180.

That was about what the ones I saw being tested did - tesla, I pace and
something japanese. They ran them till they stopped.

I think my current car is reckoned to be 50mpg in 'official tests', in
practice I am hard pressed to get over 35....

Mark Twain