DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Boiler condensate drain (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/680717-boiler-condensate-drain.html)

[email protected] October 7th 20 08:38 PM

Boiler condensate drain

Ideal Logic combi. The mfr's instructions show the combi boiler condensate drain running into a branch waste pipe downstream of any other appliances (bath, basin etc).

I understand this is so CO from the flue can't or is less likely to find its way into the house if there's a fault with the boiler and the U-bend of one of the appliances has evaporated no longer forming a seal.

Is this an inviolable rule or is there a way round it? A Macalpine has been mentioned, but I don't know if this is a special trap, a condensate pump, or what.

I've had previous boilers condense into the branch below the kitchen sink without comment from a Gas Safe person.

I have a long way between the boiler and the stack, and a bath, basin, sink, washing machine, and potentially a dishwasher all on that branch pipe. Getting a dedicated condensate pipe all the way to the stack is almost impossible. External condensate soakaway is not viable.

Boiler will be put in by a Gas Safe but I'm trying to anticipate difficulties rather than them happening on the day (and it is only one day allocated for a full heating system in 6 rooms, so everything's got to run smoothly!)

Owain

newshound October 7th 20 09:29 PM

Boiler condensate drain

On 07/10/2020 20:38, wrote:
[...]

IIRC a condensate pump can feed something like a 6mm hose which can be
routed almost anywhere.

[email protected] October 8th 20 09:16 AM

Boiler condensate drain

On Wednesday, 7 October 2020 21:29:06 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
IIRC a condensate pump can feed something like a 6mm hose which can be
routed almost anywhere.

That might work if they can feed it round the corner bath.

I think the Macalpine referred to might have been a waterless seal trap.

Owain

Davidm October 8th 20 10:38 AM

Boiler condensate drain

On Wed, 7 Oct 2020 12:38:53 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

My Worcester Bosch boiler has an integral syphon in the condensate
outlet. It allows a quantity of condensate to collect before it
releases it all in one go (helps prevent freezing) and it also
performs as an internal U bend seal to prevent the escape of CO.

Because of the location of the boiler (internal airing cupboard) the
condensate then goes to a condensate pump, from where it gets pumped
up into the loft, and then across the loft (down sloping pipe) to the
vented soil stack.