Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sorting news messages by date

How please? Mine, at the moment, are all higgledy piggledy, I'm sure
they uesed to be in date sequence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Towill wrote:

How please? Mine, at the moment, are all higgledy piggledy, I'm sure
they uesed to be in date sequence.

Either click on the column header you want to sot by (twice for the
opposite order)

Or from the menu (press alt if you don't see a menu)
view/sort-by/whatever
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2020 14:52, John Towill wrote:

How please? Mine, at the moment, are all higgledy piggledy, I'm sure
they uesed to be in date sequence.

If you turn on the menu bar if not already on (right click near the top
of the window).

Then from the Sort menu you can set the methods used for sorting.

I find Sort by Ascending, Order Received, and Threaded works well. That
keeps the thread in the place they were first received, and you can
collapse then down to a single first post if you want.

Also have a look at doing a few filters to make life easier:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...cess_tips#Tips

I tend to have a filter set to match my own posts and set them to a
different colour and also mark the thread as "watched". That way I can
easily go back to just threads I am participating in that have new posts
to see by seeing the "Threads" control in the menu to "Watched Threads
with Unread"

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

Kindly tell me how you avoid threads that morph into vegan hysterics!

Didn't something similar happen to the amateur radio group?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bev Bev is offline

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 18:15:48 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Kindly tell me how you avoid threads that morph into vegan hysterics!

Not sure about your newsreader but I simply select 'ignore thread'.
Other options are to killfile on the usual suspects which does have the
problem that *if* they should post anything worth reading you won't see
it until it is replied to by someone outside the killfile.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2020 18:15, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

Shift K on thunderbird - kill sub thread.

Didn't something similar happen to the amateur radio group?

Don't know - but something drove em here :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bev
writes
On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 18:15:48 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Kindly tell me how you avoid threads that morph into vegan hysterics!

Not sure about your newsreader but I simply select 'ignore thread'.
Other options are to killfile on the usual suspects which does have the
problem that *if* they should post anything worth reading you won't see
it until it is replied to by someone outside the killfile.

Indeed. Perhaps put the rubbish up in a different colour.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 26/09/2020 18:15, Tim Lamb wrote:

snip
Kindly tell me how you avoid threads that morph into vegan
hysterics!

Shift K on thunderbird - kill sub thread.

I'm not sure if Turnpike is that clever. Right click takes you to the
kill options. After that I'm not sure.

No. Just tried that and it kills the whole thread:-(

Didn't something similar happen to the amateur radio group?

Don't know - but something drove em here :-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 14:52:55 +0100, John Towill wrote:

How please? Mine, at the moment, are all higgledy piggledy, I'm sure
they uesed to be in date sequence.

Might be useful to specify which software you are using to read it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2020 20:44, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 26/09/2020 18:15, Tim Lamb wrote:

snip
Â*Kindly tell me how you avoid threads that morph into vegan hysterics!

Shift K on thunderbird - kill sub thread.

I'm not sure if Turnpike is that clever. Right click takes you to the
kill options. After that I'm not sure.

No. Just triedÂ* that and it kills the whole thread:-(

I'm sure you can split a thread with Turnpike.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2020 22:01, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 14:52:55 +0100, John Towill wrote:

How please? Mine, at the moment, are all higgledy piggledy, I'm sure
they uesed to be in date sequence.

Might be useful to specify which software you are using to read it.

I looked at the message source to see the "User-Agent:"...

(Can you do that in Pan?)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 23:29:21 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 26/09/2020 22:01, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 14:52:55 +0100, John Towill wrote:

How please? Mine, at the moment, are all higgledy piggledy, I'm sure
they uesed to be in date sequence.

Might be useful to specify which software you are using to read it.

I looked at the message source to see the "User-Agent:"...

(Can you do that in Pan?)

Yes, but if he wants help he should make it easy...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2020 23:40, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 23:29:21 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 26/09/2020 22:01, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 14:52:55 +0100, John Towill wrote:

How please? Mine, at the moment, are all higgledy piggledy, I'm sure
they uesed to be in date sequence.

Might be useful to specify which software you are using to read it.

I looked at the message source to see the "User-Agent:"...

(Can you do that in Pan?)

Yes, but if he wants help he should make it easy...

i apologise for that it was not intensional, just my ignorance. Thanks
for the replies very useful, the first by Andy hit the nail on the head,
now fixed, however the remainder were informative and added to my small
knowledge. :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Towill wrote:

the first by Andy hit the nail on the head, now fixed, however the
remainder were informative

Unfortunately you'll probably find, if you toggle between viewing all
messages or unread messages, that the sort order gets munged again, at
least it does for me ...

Sorting dip in garage roof andy UK diy 0 October 5th 06 01:55 PM
Sorting out that DRIP at home - from the horse's mouth [email protected] Home Repair 9 July 24th 06 01:06 AM
IT News - Tech News - Search Engine News - Updates News Page O Rama Home Repair 1 April 23rd 06 04:13 PM
Sorting discs by weight Dave Hinz Metalworking 13 April 19th 06 05:14 PM
Sorting & storage of Capacitors west Electronics 0 July 28th 05 04:22 PM