Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Worktop joint

First world problems...

I'm mildly disappointed with a worktop joint.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qMN...ew?usp=sharing

Had it supplied mitred and used the colourfill that came with. I think
the colourfill might have been the issue as I faffed about trying to get
it level while tightening the clamps which were a PIA from an access POV
and I think I reached a point where it wasn't fully squishable.

Anyway, it's done and it's not coming apart!
Are the seamless joints in the showroom a pipe dream or am I rightly
disappointed?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

I'm mildly disappointed with a worktop joint.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qMN...ew?usp=sharing

looks like a lighter shade of the colourfill might have helped it blend
in, depends how close you get to perfect with the joint itself whether
or not filler is required, or is difficult to apply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2020 18:36, Andy Burns wrote:
R D S wrote:

I'm mildly disappointed with a worktop joint.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qMN...ew?usp=sharing

looks like a lighter shade of the colourfill might have helped it blend
in, depends how close you get to perfect with the joint itself whether
or not filler is required, or is difficult to apply.

Yes, it came with black. But I had hoped to get the worktops butted
right up together.
I just hope it's adequately sealed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message ...
First world problems...

I'm mildly disappointed with a worktop joint.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qMN...ew?usp=sharing

Had it supplied mitred and used the colourfill that came with. I think the colourfill
might have been the issue as I faffed about trying to get it level while tightening the
clamps which were a PIA from an access POV and I think I reached a point where it
wasn't fully squishable.

Anyway, it's done and it's not coming apart!
Are the seamless joints in the showroom a pipe dream or am I rightly disappointed?

The seamless joints in the showroom are most likely clamped up in a jig
by people who aren't doing one-offs. They probably flog off their less than
perfect efforts as special offers.

Joints whether good or bad are always more obvious in light materials than
in dark.

So that's a first time one-off without special equipment in a light material.
Given which, the result doesn't actually look that bad to me.

As in all things time is a great healer, and you probably won't even notice
it after a couple of weeks.

Whether that also goes for the management, is of course another matter.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2020 18:27, R D S wrote:
First world problems...

I'm mildly disappointed with a worktop joint.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qMN...ew?usp=sharing

Had it supplied mitred and used the colourfill that came with. I think
the colourfill might have been the issue as I faffed about trying to get
it level while tightening the clamps which were a PIA from an access POV
and I think I reached a point where it wasn't fully squishable.

Anyway, it's done and it's not coming apart!
Are the seamless joints in the showroom a pipe dream or am I rightly
disappointed?

If the colour of the filler was lighter the join would have been a lot
less noticeable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2020 23:54, alan_m wrote:

If the colour of the filler was lighter the join would have been a lot
less noticeable.

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/Worktop/

original then filler modified to be a lighter grey (possibly the join
line in the modified image id a lot wider than in the original.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 25/09/2020 23:54, alan_m wrote:

If the colour of the filler was lighter the join would have been a lot less
noticeable.

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/Worktop/

original then filler modified to be a lighter grey (possibly the join line in the
modified image id a lot wider than in the original.

Indeed. If only, like you, he could have simply joined the two halves with
a mouse on a computer screen, then maybe things could have worked
out so much better.

Talk about ****ing on someone's chips.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2020 18:27, R D S wrote:
First world problems...

I'm mildly disappointed with a worktop joint.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qMN...ew?usp=sharing

It's a difficult thing to do. I would say that was a very good join.

TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 26 September 2020 10:56:56 UTC+1, TimW wrote:
On 25/09/2020 18:27, R D S wrote:
First world problems...

I'm mildly disappointed with a worktop joint.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qMN...ew?usp=sharing

It's a difficult thing to do. I would say that was a very good join.

TW

I agree. Also, bear in mind that we will very often be viewing at an angle rather than directly down, I'd be happy with that. At least as good as many I have seen that were done "professionally".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2020 20:59, michael adams wrote:

Whether that also goes for the management, is of course another matter.

She's overjoyed i've finally got around to bolting it together rather
than barking about keeping it dry for weeks!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2020 07:49, michael adams wrote:

Indeed. If only, like you, he could have simply joined the two halves with
a mouse on a computer screen, then maybe things could have worked
out so much better.

Yeah, I was wondering how I was going to change the file format of the
kitchen so I could open it in GIMP.

As I said in the OP though, i'm only mildly disappointed, overall the
kitchen is effing beautiful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2020 08:14, Andy Bennet wrote:

FFS! Get a life!

The irony!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2020 18:27, R D S wrote:
First world problems...

I'm mildly disappointed with a worktop joint.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qMN...ew?usp=sharing

It's a difficult thing to do. I would say that was a very good join.

TW

I agree. Also, bear in mind that we will very often be viewing at an angle rather than directly down, I'd be happy with that. At least as good as many I have seen that were done "professionally".

Cheers chaps.
I cropped out the chip I knocked in it when I removed and replaced to
run a cable
(It was cut a bit too precisely to size....

DIY eh, full of ups and down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

i'm only mildly disappointed

On my own kitchen I have external worktop corners, in a much darker
colour than yours, the joints are "good" but not perfect and I used the
colourfill, including re-applying it as I wasn't over the moon with the
result, you can still feel it with a fingernail, and flour etc manages
to collect in the join.

I did my parents, which has an internal mason's mitre and I was over the
moon with how accurate I managed to cut it, literally can't get a fag
paper in it, decided not worth trying to use the filler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2020 12:05, Andy Burns wrote:
I did my parents, which has an internal mason's mitre and I was over the
moon with how accurate I managed to cut it, literally can't get a fag
paper in it, decided not worth trying to use the filler.

I was in two minds whether to use the filler, i'd PVA'd the join and my
test run was better than the final result.

But i've had issues with swelling/lifting in the past (with a kitchen I
paid a complete idiot to fit).
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 26/09/2020 11:59, R D S wrote:
On 26/09/2020 08:14, Andy Bennet wrote:

FFS! Get a life!

The irony!

I agree with the sentiment, as you've done a really good job and should
be pleased with yourself. It's easy to be self-critical as a DIY-er and
assume that a professional would have done it better.