Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gutters.

Or perhaps more accurately, a down pipe.

One of our gutters drains into a soakaway which is hidden beneath
paving slabs. The pipe itself is held in concrete at the base (and
thus rather immovable). Some years ago I installed a diverter to feed
a water butt and it worked well for about 10-12 years.

Last winter, a rainstorm had the gutter overflowing and investigation
showed that the section of pipe between the diverter and the soakaway
had become full of silt. Poking around with a bamboo seemed to resolve
the problem. This summer it's happened again except this time it's the
diverter and the upper section of pipe that has become silted.

"Silt" - it's not organic matter as far as I can tell. I *think* it's
probably being washed off the roof tiles. It's a fine sand like
substance.

Short of digging up the paving stones and digging out the soakaway
I've been considering alternatives. Ideally, I want to divert the flow
away from the house onto a patch of earth that drains well but only
when necessary. I can find a down pipe (e.g.
https://www.guttersupplies.co.uk/rou...-black-p-RY1B/)
that allows two flows to merge into one but not one that would split
the flow in two.

I also found a "Leaf and debris Gully" but I don't believe it would
trap the silt.

So far, I'm thinking in terms of placing a short piece of guttering
under the end (and at 90 degrees) of the existing gutter. One end
would feed the existing down pipe. The other would cross to an
existing wooden stanchion and then go down to ground leave to
discharge. But, I can see two problems - 1) if the flow is high enough
water could overflow the sides of the new gutter at the point where it
drops out of the existing gutter 2) arranging the slope of the new
gutter so that the two ends can both be fed.

I thank, in the end, digging out the existing soakaway is probably
required unless someone has a better idea?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham Harrison
writes

https://www.guttersupplies.co.uk/rou...-degree-x-68mm
-black-p-RY1B/)
that allows two flows to merge into one but not one that would split
the flow in two.

I also found a "Leaf and debris Gully" but I don't believe it would
trap the silt.

So far, I'm thinking in terms of placing a short piece of guttering
under the end (and at 90 degrees) of the existing gutter. One end
would feed the existing down pipe. The other would cross to an
existing wooden stanchion and then go down to ground leave to
discharge. But, I can see two problems - 1) if the flow is high enough
water could overflow the sides of the new gutter at the point where it
drops out of the existing gutter 2) arranging the slope of the new
gutter so that the two ends can both be fed.

I thank, in the end, digging out the existing soakaway is probably
required unless someone has a better idea?

Not uncommon for soakaways to get plugged with gutter debris (rotted
Moss, sand from tiles etc.)

Those rainwater butt diverters are the spawn of Satan in that they only
divert part of the rainwater and are very prone to blockage.

Some while back there was a suggestion in here to run all the downpipe
water to your butt and have a full size overflow taking any excess
directly to your drain.

On plugged soaks.. I have had some success with feeding a garden hose
into the pipe and jetting the debris. May not work but, from the length
of hose, it can also give you an idea where to dig:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham Harrison wrote:
[...]

You could try a pressure washer. You tend to find blockages occur where the
flow slows / changes direction. If you can blast the blockage away, it may
be ok.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham Harrison
writes

"Silt" - it's not organic matter as far as I can tell. I *think* it's
probably being washed off the roof tiles. It's a fine sand like
substance.

Agreed. No help to you given that your pipe is set in concrete, but I
had exactly the same problem, in that drains overflowed. Long story
short, I eventually cleared the blockage in the drain by laying down and
extending my arm into the drain and removing quite a lot of silt with a
smallish plastic pudding basin. I think there is a U bend or trap down
there, and was completely blocked. Removal of all the silt cleared it.
Not a pleasant job, but given that it is not sewage, not too bad.

That was after I had cleared the downpipes which were blocked with
organic matter, presumably washed from roof to gutter to downpipe.
Quite fun as the whole length of the pipe was full of water, except the
last 2 or 3 feet which formed a blockage. Much poking and hooking with
a bent wire coat hanger resulted in the blockage suddenly coming out
like a guided missile, followed by gallons of water. Filthy, but
satisfying. The organic part did stink though!
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2020 19:58, Graham Harrison wrote:
"Silt" - it's not organic matter as far as I can tell. I*think* it's
probably being washed off the roof tiles. It's a fine sand like
substance.

Does your house have concrete roof tiles, like Marley Modern and
similar ?. After about 40 years these seem to start losing their
surface which gets blown off the roof and into gutters as gritty
sand mixed with moss.

It could also be sand from degrading weak sand/cement mortar
used to hold ridge tiles in place.

Soakaways should be 5 metres away from external walls, but with
houses built in the 70's they could be anywhere.

You could consider hiring a decent disk cutter and making a channel
in the patio into which you insert a lngth of drainage channel
with a grill on top. Some of these have a sludge trap which will
stop your soakaway ending up full of what is washed off the roof.
You'd be surprised how much dust comes down from the air over time
and it all has to go somewhere (which is why Roman remains are
generally buried undergound).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 September 2020 14:41:19 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
[...]

I once read that 1 in 6 dust particles reign down from outer space. So maybe your silt is a multiplying alien colony!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 21:23:38 -0000 (UTC), Radio Man wrote:

You could try a pressure washer. You tend to find blockages occur where
the flow slows / changes direction. If you can blast the blockage away,
it may be ok.

Really need to attack blockages from the outflow of the pipe so the
route out is clear for the stuff you dislodge. Admitedly this doesn't
sound possible for the OP.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Sep 2020 07:00:06 +0100, Graeme wrote:

I eventually cleared the blockage in the drain by laying down and
extending my arm into the drain and removing quite a lot of silt with a
smallish plastic pudding basin. I think there is a U bend or trap down
there, and was completely blocked. Removal of all the silt cleared it.
Not a pleasant job, but given that it is not sewage, not too bad.

Have to do that fairly regulary here. Birch leaves mainly with the
occasional drowned mouse. Don't bother with gloves or a pudding
basin, just havea good wash afterwards and if any of the inevitable
scratches go really pink around the edges whop on some antiseptic
cream. B-)

That was after I had cleared the downpipes which were blocked with
organic matter, presumably washed from roof to gutter to downpipe.
Quite fun as the whole length of the pipe was full of water, except the
last 2 or 3 feet which formed a blockage. Much poking and hooking with
a bent wire coat hanger resulted in the blockage suddenly coming out
like a guided missile, followed by gallons of water.

BTDTGTTS. Something you only do once. I'm now aware and try and let
things go in a more controlled manner rather than a 68 mm dia jet of
water and anerobic rotting leaves.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 20:54:30 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Those rainwater butt diverters are the spawn of Satan in that they only
divert part of the rainwater and are very prone to blockage.

Agreed the small universla things that just need the down pipe
cutting and just fit inline are a PITA for blocking and being a pig
to unblock. Especially when you have 15' of 68mm dia pipe and 20'
deep flow gutter all full of water...

There is a thing called a Guttermate:

https://www.rainwatersolutions.co.uk/diverters-filters

Much easier and quicker to maintain. I've bodged something with a
hopper and fine is black plastic mesh folded to fit and held in shape
by copper wire.

Some while back there was a suggestion in here to run all the downpipe
water to your butt and have a full size overflow taking any excess
directly to your drain.

But then all the leaves and muck ends up in the bottom of your butt.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
[...]

True but quite a while before it reaches the outlet tap. Emptying a
plastic tub once a year little more trouble than climbing a ladder to
free an outlet sieve.

--
Tim Lamb

Semi with separate gutters, neighbour asking to join gutters David Hearn[_2_] UK diy 24 March 2nd 14 03:14 PM
High cap gutters with (apparently) low cap downpipes?? Richard UK diy 5 December 19th 04 08:08 PM
Gutters Harman Sanghera UK diy 10 December 5th 03 07:17 PM
Clearing gutters... any tricks or tools? TonyK UK diy 13 December 3rd 03 11:30 AM
Gutters Paul UK diy 0 August 14th 03 02:05 PM