DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Snapped earth behind socket, options? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/679366-snapped-earth-behind-socket-options.html)

R D S[_2_] August 27th 20 11:28 AM

Snapped earth behind socket, options?

Long story short, trying to do a better job than the bodge-it kitchen
fitter from a few years ago and wondering why I bother.

Swapping a back box and socket, the earth in the 2.5 T&E has broken and
i'm about 2 inches shy of the terminal.

I could put another socket below on the good part of the cable with a
new piece of cable between the two but i'm not sure i'd like how that
looks.

What are my options for joining a new piece, crimp, chock block, wago?

FWIW I could 'fix' this and bury it in a way that nobody would notice
without fairly major renovation but i'd rather it was 'right'.

Ta.

Jack Harry Teesdale August 27th 20 12:22 PM

On 27/08/2020 11:28, R D S wrote:
Long story short, trying to do a better job than the bodge-it kitchen
fitter from a few years ago and wondering why I bother.

Swapping a back box and socket, the earth in the 2.5 T&E has broken and
i'm about 2 inches shy of the terminal.

I could put another socket below on the good part of the cable with a
new piece of cable between the two but i'm not sure i'd like how that
looks.

What are my options for joining a new piece, crimp, chock block, wago?

FWIW I could 'fix' this and bury it in a way that nobody would notice
without fairly major renovation but i'd rather it was 'right'.

Ta.

Simplest and safest is to crimp a length of e/w on to existing and
reconnect. Job done!

[email protected] August 27th 20 12:27 PM

On Thursday, 27 August 2020 11:28:57 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
What are my options for joining a new piece, crimp, chock block, wago?

Can you use the earth terminal in the back box for joining the earth to the socket?

If it's a plastic box replace it with one that has an earth terminal; some do, some don't.

Owain

Scott[_17_] August 27th 20 12:32 PM

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 11:28:53 +0100, R D S wrote:

Long story short, trying to do a better job than the bodge-it kitchen
fitter from a few years ago and wondering why I bother.

Swapping a back box and socket, the earth in the 2.5 T&E has broken and
i'm about 2 inches shy of the terminal.

I could put another socket below on the good part of the cable with a
new piece of cable between the two but i'm not sure i'd like how that
looks.

What are my options for joining a new piece, crimp, chock block, wago?

FWIW I could 'fix' this and bury it in a way that nobody would notice
without fairly major renovation but i'd rather it was 'right'.

Personally, I think you can never have too many sockets, so I would go
for another socket but give a bit of thought to the best position.

Dave Plowman (News) August 27th 20 02:00 PM

Snapped earth behind socket, options?

In article ,
R D S wrote:
What are my options for joining a new piece, crimp, chock block, wago?

Crimp or solder joint is is usually the best option where space is tight.
Although personally I'd be happy using a decent quality choc block with
the conductors overlapping to both screws, and them tightened till they
groan. That, after all, is no different to the connection to the socket.

--
*If they arrest the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Davidm August 27th 20 02:47 PM

Snapped earth behind socket, options?

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 11:28:53 +0100, R D S wrote:

Long story short, trying to do a better job than the bodge-it kitchen
fitter from a few years ago and wondering why I bother.

Swapping a back box and socket, the earth in the 2.5 T&E has broken and
i'm about 2 inches shy of the terminal.

I could put another socket below on the good part of the cable with a
new piece of cable between the two but i'm not sure i'd like how that
looks.

What are my options for joining a new piece, crimp, chock block, wago?

FWIW I could 'fix' this and bury it in a way that nobody would notice
without fairly major renovation but i'd rather it was 'right'.

Ta.

Solder, as long as you can do it without melting insulation on other
wires.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] August 27th 20 03:57 PM

On 27/08/2020 11:28, R D S wrote:
Long story short, trying to do a better job than the bodge-it kitchen
fitter from a few years ago and wondering why I bother.

Swapping a back box and socket, the earth in the 2.5 T&E has broken and
i'm about 2 inches shy of the terminal.

I could put another socket below on the good part of the cable with a
new piece of cable between the two but i'm not sure i'd like how that
looks.

What are my options for joining a new piece, crimp, chock block, wago?

FWIW I could 'fix' this and bury it in a way that nobody would notice
without fairly major renovation but i'd rather it was 'right'.

Ta.

solder heatshrink

--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) August 27th 20 04:35 PM

Snapped earth behind socket, options?

Probably not the way to do it but many moons ago I soldered a bit on, then
put green heatshrink over the join. grin, from that you can tell it was a
long time ago, and its in this house up in a bedroom and is still ok.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) August 27th 20 04:39 PM

Snapped earth behind socket, options?

Was not a problem in my case I simply took the socket off and bent them away
from the bit being worked on.

Andrew[_22_] August 27th 20 04:39 PM

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/03/house...reet-11033568/

Andrew[_22_] August 27th 20 04:41 PM

On 27/08/2020 14:47, Davidm wrote:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 11:28:53 +0100, R D S wrote:

Long story short, trying to do a better job than the bodge-it kitchen
fitter from a few years ago and wondering why I bother.

Swapping a back box and socket, the earth in the 2.5 T&E has broken and
i'm about 2 inches shy of the terminal.

I could put another socket below on the good part of the cable with a
new piece of cable between the two but i'm not sure i'd like how that
looks.

What are my options for joining a new piece, crimp, chock block, wago?

FWIW I could 'fix' this and bury it in a way that nobody would notice
without fairly major renovation but i'd rather it was 'right'.

Ta.

Solder, as long as you can do it without melting insulation on other
wires.

Since it is accessible, just use a single section of a choc-block
to join an extra bit of CPC ?. machanically twist the two ends
and use the choc-block as a 'crimp'

(assuming you don't have a decent crimp).

williamwright August 27th 20 05:26 PM

On 27/08/2020 11:28, R D S wrote:
Long story short, trying to do a better job than the bodge-it kitchen
fitter from a few years ago and wondering why I bother.

Swapping a back box and socket, the earth in the 2.5 T&E has broken and
i'm about 2 inches shy of the terminal.

I could put another socket below on the good part of the cable with a
new piece of cable between the two but i'm not sure i'd like how that
looks.

What are my options for joining a new piece, crimp, chock block, wago?

FWIW I could 'fix' this and bury it in a way that nobody would notice
without fairly major renovation but i'd rather it was 'right'.

Ta.

Solder, then heatshrink. Makes a small tidy perfect connection.

Bill

Jimk August 27th 20 06:01 PM

Davidm Wrote in message:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 11:28:53 +0100, R D S wrote:

Long story short, trying to do a better job than the bodge-it kitchen
fitter from a few years ago and wondering why I bother.

Swapping a back box and socket, the earth in the 2.5 T&E has broken and
i'm about 2 inches shy of the terminal.

I could put another socket below on the good part of the cable with a
new piece of cable between the two but i'm not sure i'd like how that
looks.

What are my options for joining a new piece, crimp, chock block, wago?

FWIW I could 'fix' this and bury it in a way that nobody would notice
without fairly major renovation but i'd rather it was 'right'.

Ta.

Solder, as long as you can do it without melting insulation on other
wires.

Not much on an earth wire?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

John Rumm August 27th 20 06:10 PM

On 27/08/2020 11:28, R D S wrote:
Long story short, trying to do a better job than the bodge-it kitchen
fitter from a few years ago and wondering why I bother.

Swapping a back box and socket, the earth in the 2.5 T&E has broken and
i'm about 2 inches shy of the terminal.

I could put another socket below on the good part of the cable with a
new piece of cable between the two but i'm not sure i'd like how that
looks.

What are my options for joining a new piece, crimp, chock block, wago?

Yes, yes, & yes :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Plowman (News) August 28th 20 10:28 AM

williamwright wrote:
On 27/08/2020 11:28, R D S wrote:
Long story short, trying to do a better job than the bodge-it kitchen
fitter from a few years ago and wondering why I bother.

Swapping a back box and socket, the earth in the 2.5 T&E has broken and
i'm about 2 inches shy of the terminal.

I could put another socket below on the good part of the cable with a
new piece of cable between the two but i'm not sure i'd like how that
looks.

What are my options for joining a new piece, crimp, chock block, wago?

FWIW I could 'fix' this and bury it in a way that nobody would notice
without fairly major renovation but i'd rather it was 'right'.

Ta.

Solder, then heatshrink. Makes a small tidy perfect connection.

Do you need that heatshrink on an ECC, which should be sleeved anyway?

--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

Andrew[_22_] August 28th 20 01:36 PM

On 27/08/2020 18:10, John Rumm wrote:
On 27/08/2020 11:28, R D S wrote:
Long story short, trying to do a better job than the bodge-it kitchen
fitter from a few years ago and wondering why I bother.

Swapping a back box and socket, the earth in the 2.5 T&E has broken
and i'm about 2 inches shy of the terminal.

I could put another socket below on the good part of the cable with a
new piece of cable between the two but i'm not sure i'd like how that
looks.

What are my options for joining a new piece, crimp, chock block, wago?

Yes, yes, & yes :-)

Rewire entire house with this stuff -

https://www.meteorelectrical.com/cab...able-100m.html

to be sure, to be sure ...

Scott[_17_] August 28th 20 02:21 PM

Snapped earth behind socket, options?

On 27/08/2020 11:28, R D S wrote:
Long story short, trying to do a better job than the bodge-it kitchen
fitter from a few years ago and wondering why I bother.

Swapping a back box and socket, the earth in the 2.5 T&E has broken
and i'm about 2 inches shy of the terminal.

I could put another socket below on the good part of the cable with a
new piece of cable between the two but i'm not sure i'd like how that
looks.

What are my options for joining a new piece, crimp, chock block, wago?

Yes, yes, & yes :-)

Rewire entire house with this stuff -

https://www.meteorelectrical.com/cab...able-100m.html

to be sure, to be sure ...

Are the regulations in RoI same as UK?

[email protected] August 28th 20 03:59 PM

On Friday, 28 August 2020 14:21:57 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
Are the regulations in RoI same as UK?

No.
Similar but not the same.

I think most of Europe uses insulated cpc in cables.

Owain

R D S[_2_] August 28th 20 04:38 PM

On 27/08/2020 11:28, R D S wrote:
Long story short, trying to do a better job than the bodge-it kitchen
fitter from a few years ago and wondering why I bother.

Who today, as it happens, I learned is a paedophile with numerous
convictions and has served time since 'fitting'* our kitchen.
The people you invite into your home eh? FFS.

*I sent him packing 3 weeks into the job (of fitting a kitchen roughly 3
square metres), his incompetence was remarkable.

Scott[_17_] August 28th 20 05:36 PM

Snapped earth behind socket, options?

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 07:59:08 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Friday, 28 August 2020 14:21:57 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
Are the regulations in RoI same as UK?

No.
Similar but not the same.

I think most of Europe uses insulated cpc in cables.

Interesting. Looking again, it says:

RoHS approved BASEC and BS6004 approved 100 metre coil. Insulated
earth which meets regualtions in the Republic of Ireland.

This implies the earth needs to be insulated in RoI but not in UK. Why
is this? What is the point of insulating the earth - unless maybe in
case someone connects it to the live by mistake. However, does
insulating it not make such mistake more likely as at present the
earth is clearly distinguishable by *not* being insulated.

Is an insulated earth permitted in the UK?

newshound August 28th 20 05:48 PM

wrote:

On Friday, 28 August 2020 14:21:57 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
Are the regulations in RoI same as UK?

No.
Similar but not the same.

I think most of Europe uses insulated cpc in cables.

Interesting. Looking again, it says:

RoHS approved BASEC and BS6004 approved 100 metre coil. Insulated
earth which meets regualtions in the Republic of Ireland.

This implies the earth needs to be insulated in RoI but not in UK. Why
is this? What is the point of insulating the earth - unless maybe in
case someone connects it to the live by mistake. However, does
insulating it not make such mistake more likely as at present the
earth is clearly distinguishable by *not* being insulated.

Is an insulated earth permitted in the UK?

Dunno. I always thought the uninsulated earth in T&E was so that, if a
screw or nail went through it and nicked the insulation on live, there
was a good chance it would catch the earth and so trip the circuit one
way or the other.

John Rumm August 28th 20 05:57 PM

wrote:

On Friday, 28 August 2020 14:21:57 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
Are the regulations in RoI same as UK?

No.
Similar but not the same.

I think most of Europe uses insulated cpc in cables.

Interesting. Looking again, it says:

RoHS approved BASEC and BS6004 approved 100 metre coil. Insulated
earth which meets regualtions in the Republic of Ireland.

This implies the earth needs to be insulated in RoI but not in UK. Why
is this? What is the point of insulating the earth - unless maybe in
case someone connects it to the live by mistake. However, does
insulating it not make such mistake more likely as at present the
earth is clearly distinguishable by *not* being insulated.

Is an insulated earth permitted in the UK?

Can't see why not - you sleeve it whenever its exposed anyway, so it
just saves a job (but increases the price).

(the 18A rating for the cable seems wrong for 2.5mm^2 T&E)

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

[email protected] August 29th 20 01:45 PM

wrote:
On Friday, 28 August 2020 14:21:57 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
Are the regulations in RoI same as UK?

No.
Similar but not the same.

I think most of Europe uses insulated cpc in cables.

Interesting. Looking again, it says:

RoHS approved BASEC and BS6004 approved 100 metre coil. Insulated
earth which meets regualtions in the Republic of Ireland.

This implies the earth needs to be insulated in RoI but not in UK. Why
is this? What is the point of insulating the earth - unless maybe in
case someone connects it to the live by mistake. However, does
insulating it not make such mistake more likely as at present the
earth is clearly distinguishable by *not* being insulated.

Is an insulated earth permitted in the UK?

I wonder if you might be making the mistake of thinking there must be a good sensible reason for regulations. If there is one for insulating the CPC, it's a mystery to me.

NT

Dave Plowman (News) August 29th 20 02:22 PM

wrote:
I wonder if you might be making the mistake of thinking there must be a
good sensible reason for regulations. If there is one for insulating the
CPC, it's a mystery to me.

Careless paging of the conductors when fitting a socket, etc? Although we
manage OK without for many years.

--
*Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject

[email protected] August 29th 20 03:10 PM

Snapped earth behind socket, options?

On Saturday, 29 August 2020 14:24:54 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:
I wonder if you might be making the mistake of thinking there must be a
good sensible reason for regulations. If there is one for insulating the
CPC, it's a mystery to me.

Careless paging of the conductors when fitting a socket, etc? Although we
manage OK without for many years.

I don't know what that means.

John Rumm August 29th 20 06:17 PM

wrote:
[...]

There is no benefit to insulating its full length in the cable that I
can see, but there are sound reasons for insulating it at the point of
use. Otherwise there is a real risk that when dressing wires into an
enclosure the CPC will make contact with live or neutral. The former is
annoying but relatively easy to fix, the latter creating a latent fault
that may be lurking and causing grief for years.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

rick October 16th 20 04:37 PM

On 27/08/2020 11:28, R D S wrote:
Long story short, trying to do a better job than the bodge-it kitchen
fitter from a few years ago and wondering why I bother.

Swapping a back box and socket, the earth in the 2.5 T&E has broken and
i'm about 2 inches shy of the terminal.

I could put another socket below on the good part of the cable with a
new piece of cable between the two but i'm not sure i'd like how that
looks.

What are my options for joining a new piece, crimp, chock block, wago?

FWIW I could 'fix' this and bury it in a way that nobody would notice
without fairly major renovation but i'd rather it was 'right'.

Ta.

slightly polish the end of copper to make sure clean and solder on same
c/s area piece of copper wire with around 30mm overlap, then sleeve it.