Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing slatted fence panel atop garden wall

To give me and the neighbours a bit of privacy I've bought an 1800 x 600 panel (will cut height down to just 450mm) and want to fix on the wall between our back doors. It's exposed but the wall is thick (12") and panel should not need massive support, so planning on posts with threaded studs set into the wall top with 2-part resin.
How do I fix the studs into the timber posts - more resin or can I push/thread them into 10mm holes?
I'v got some M10 studs - using with 3x 50mm or 75mm posts sound ok?
Thanks any advice,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Wrote in message:
To give me and the neighbours a bit of privacy I've bought an 1800 x 600 panel (will cut height down to just 450mm) and want to fix on the wall between our back doors. It's exposed but the wall is thick (12") and panel should not need massive support, so planning on posts with threaded studs set into the wall top with 2-part resin.
How do I fix the studs into the timber posts - more resin or can I push/thread them into 10mm holes?
I'v got some M10 studs - using with 3x 50mm or 75mm posts sound ok?
Thanks any advice,

Might wave around?

Google for bolt down post bases (ideally galvanised) BIC do some
"bolt tighten" ones so you can more easily replace remove the
posts in the future...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 August 2020 16:43:32 UTC+1, Peter wrote:
To give me and the neighbours a bit of privacy I've bought an 1800 x 600 panel (will cut height down to just 450mm) and want to fix on the wall between our back doors. It's exposed but the wall is thick (12") and panel should not need massive support, so planning on posts with threaded studs set into the wall top with 2-part resin.
How do I fix the studs into the timber posts - more resin or can I push/thread them into 10mm holes?
I'v got some M10 studs - using with 3x 50mm or 75mm posts sound ok?
Thanks any advice,

Thought about those but the socket would cover almost half the height of the post so attaching the panel tricky - unless I drilled through?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 August 2020 at 16:43:32 UTC+1, Peter wrote:

To give me and the neighbours a bit of privacy I've bought an 1800 x 600 panel (will cut height down to just 450mm) and want to fix on the wall between our back doors. It's exposed but the wall is thick (12") and panel should not need massive support, so planning on posts with threaded studs set into the wall top with 2-part resin.
How do I fix the studs into the timber posts - more resin or can I push/thread them into 10mm holes?
I'v got some M10 studs - using with 3x 50mm or 75mm posts sound ok?
Thanks any advice,

What you propose is a classic no-no. The forces on fenceposts during strong winds are huge, no top course of a 12" brick wall is going to withstand that. Think again.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Wrote in message:
On Saturday, 15 August 2020 16:43:32 UTC+1, Peter wrote:
To give me and the neighbours a bit of privacy I've bought an 1800 x 600 panel (will cut height down to just 450mm) and want to fix on the wall between our back doors. It's exposed but the wall is thick (12") and panel should not need massive support, so planning on posts with threaded studs set into the wall top with 2-part resin.
How do I fix the studs into the timber posts - more resin or can I push/thread them into 10mm holes?
I'v got some M10 studs - using with 3x 50mm or 75mm posts sound ok?
Thanks any advice,

Thought about those but the socket would cover almost half the height of the post so attaching the panel tricky - unless I drilled through?

You're thinking of the long spikes. The bolt down versions are
100mm tall or somesuch
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2020 16:43, Peter wrote:
To give me and the neighbours a bit of privacy I've bought an 1800 x 600 panel (will cut height down to just 450mm) and want to fix on the wall between our back doors. It's exposed but the wall is thick (12") and panel should not need massive support, so planning on posts with threaded studs set into the wall top with 2-part resin.
How do I fix the studs into the timber posts - more resin or can I push/thread them into 10mm holes?
I'v got some M10 studs - using with 3x 50mm or 75mm posts sound ok?
Thanks any advice,

It sounds as if you're planning to support the panel at both ends and in
the middle?

I would have thought that just both ends would be sufficient. Will one
end butt against the house wall? If so, you don't need a post there -
just use a couple of square U-shaped brackets screwed to the wall for
the panel to slide into, and then screw through the brackets into the panel.

At the far end, I would be inclined to use a piece of metal channel of
the right size to fit round the panel, and about 100mm longer than the
height of the panel. Make a hole in the top of the wall, and cement it in.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2020 19:21, Nick Cat wrote:
On Saturday, 15 August 2020 at 16:43:32 UTC+1, Peter wrote:

To give me and the neighbours a bit of privacy I've bought an 1800 x 600 panel (will cut height down to just 450mm) and want to fix on the wall between our back doors. It's exposed but the wall is thick (12") and panel should not need massive support, so planning on posts with threaded studs set into the wall top with 2-part resin.
How do I fix the studs into the timber posts - more resin or can I push/thread them into 10mm holes?
I'v got some M10 studs - using with 3x 50mm or 75mm posts sound ok?
Thanks any advice,

What you propose is a classic no-no. The forces on fenceposts during strong winds are huge, no top course of a 12" brick wall is going to withstand that. Think again.

NT

Agreed. You would be more secure if you bolt 2 metre posts to the side
of the wall with just 450 mm above, and fix the panel to that. Decent
sized coach bolts into big plastic plugs would be fine. I assume you
also have support from the party wall at the "house" end. Is there any
sort of support at the other end?

If the "wall" is hollow blocks you need to try to avoid the "hollow" parts.

Ikea slatted bed base Broadback[_3_] UK diy 16 November 26th 13 09:36 PM
Slatted Door - Where can I buy one from? Charlie UK diy 3 January 2nd 07 01:36 PM
Horizontal slatted wood fence miamicuse Home Repair 4 September 8th 06 01:11 AM
Slatted Door Jim Bailey Woodworking 5 February 2nd 05 06:44 PM
slatted bed-base - any tips please? Jim Woodworking 10 November 22nd 04 08:28 AM